• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safety on line reminder.. please read

A timely reminder Amy. I have been an idiot about how much info I have posted online but I am a lot more mindful now x
It's very easily done, that's part of the problem. It's scary just how much someone can piece together from lots of tiny snippets of info you give too, if they search back far enough. Not saying that to you in particular, Jane, just that it's something we all need to bear in mind.

And also that the people you're talking to may not be who they seem. It's very easy to build up an online persona and, although it's often youngsters who are told to be really aware of this, it's something we all need to consider. We're never too old to be duped.

It's very easily done, that's part of the problem. It's scary just how much someone can piece together from lots of tiny snippets of info you give too, if they search back far enough. Not saying that to you in particular, Jane, just that it's something we all need to bear in mind.

And also that the people you're talking to may not be who they seem. It's very easy to build up an online persona and, although it's often youngsters who are told to be really aware of this, it's something we all need to consider. We're never too old to be duped.

I sometimes think that younger folk are more 'online safety' aware than the older generation. With the wisdom of hindsight I realise what a total eejit I have been with regards to being far too open about my personal circumstances. Lessons learned the hard way for me, but at least I learned them in the end !!

Yea I've messed this up too, even though I'm super skeptical, I'm also very trusting sometimes and like to think the best of people (read very naive [emoji38]) I think sadly that's gunna have to change moving forward.. It's tricky because how can you make real connections with others if you don't put yourself out there? But then also online, there's no way of knowing who people really are sadly :( so maybe it's best not to.

I sometimes think that younger folk are more 'online safety' aware than the older generation.

Yeah, I guess they have the benefit of it being constantly drummed into them (hopefully) by school, parents etc. It doesn't mean they're not vulnerable because it's still very easy to fall into certain traps, especially when you're young.

It's scary too because youngsters are so much more internet aware than we are too - they know about the dangers but they also know way too much about how to conceal stuff. I recently learnt that there's an app that looks like a calculator at first glance but is actually a way of hiding all your social media stuff away from view; so parents checking their kid's phone, thinking they're helping keep them safe, could actually be unaware of a whole chunk of activity.

Graciee, ikwym and it's a hard one I guess. I'm not sure what the answer is really.

Yeah, I guess they have the benefit of it being constantly drummed into them (hopefully) by school, parents etc. It doesn't mean they're not vulnerable because it's still very easy to fall into certain traps, especially when you're young.

It's scary too because youngsters are so much more internet aware than we are too - they know about the dangers but they also know way too much about how to conceal stuff. I recently learnt that there's an app that looks like a calculator at first glance but is actually a way of hiding all your social media stuff away from view; so parents checking their kid's phone, thinking they're helping keep them safe, could actually be unaware of a whole chunk of activity.

Graciee, ikwym and it's a hard one I guess. I'm not sure what the answer is really.

Good grief :shock:

I agree. I remember when Joey was PMing Maple and he was pretending to be single. Only then for her to discover he had two wife buns and used face tune in his selfies

Always keep your peepers open on RU. If it's too good to be true then he's probably got wife buns and kits

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I agree. I remember when Joey was PMing Maple and he was pretending to be single. Only then for her to discover he had two wife buns and used face tune in his selfies

Always keep your peepers open on RU. If it's too good to be true then he's probably got wife buns and kits

Oh that's made me laugh, bad boy Joey :lol:

Oh Joey!!!!

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

yea I've definitely overshared once or twice. it can be hard. I think I'm to naive as I always assume the best in people as I think its unfair to always assume the worst, innocent until proven guilty type of thing. its a good and a bad thing. a lot of people these days in many situations assume the worst or go with guilty until proven innocent. its a tough one.

at the same time tho, I've had many wonderful online friends and I'm glad I found other more 'personal' ways to talk with them via text or social media. an online friend isn't any less of a friend, if anything they've been there for me more than people I have known in real life.

it's true, he was quite the rotter in his jaffa cake days. As his mentor I am monitoring his behaviour so should anyone recieve any p.m.s from Joey please p.m me, instantly if he uses the words ginger, jaffa or berrocca

Those links are really useful, thanks Jane. When I'm on the laptop I'll copy them over into the first post of the online safety sticky too, so they're easy to find. :)

Back