• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diarrheoa or however you spell it!

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Pickle and Beans are 19 weeks old now and are house bunnies. When I got home from work on Monday evening I noticed a few spots of what looked like diarrheoa on the kitchen floor. They were crusty, so I assumed they were from earlier on in the day (definitely not there when I left for work). I also noticed a few very small poos. Both buns were behaving normally, both had clean bottoms and both tucked into the fresh hay I gave them. I didn’t take then to the vets as I couldn’t tell who had done it and they were both eating and drinking normally.
I’ve been off work since and so have been keeping a close eye on them. I kept them on a hay only diet for 24 hrs and then reintroduced their pellets. Both have been absolutely fine and we have daily binkyfests.
This morning (okay, late morning) when I got up there was a small spot of diarrheoa again on the kitchen floor. When I managed to catch them both, it was apparent that it was from Pickle. You know when you check a bunny bottom and sometimes there’s a round poo in the fur as if they’ve only just done it? Well, that’s what it looked like, a small bit of mushy poo about half the size of a normal poo. He was clean everywhere else and Beans was totally pristine.
I offered them hay and they both tucked into it. They are both behaving as normal, hopping round the kitchen, trying to escape into the lounge and generally being their usual cheeky selves. Pickle has produced about 4 more liquid poos, although they seem to be more solid that the initial one. They’re both drinking and eating normally. Any ideas what might be the cause? I’ve not changed their diet. If Pickle continues with diarrheoa or appears anything less that his normal self I’ll be straight on the phone to the out of hours vets. I’ll definitely get him booked in with the vet on Tuesday to check him out regardless of whether he’s fine by then. I’m just monitoring them both closely at the moment. He’s just done two small formed poos but they’re very soft and moist when you squish them. Oh the joys of bunny ownership - poo sniffing and squishing!

Pickle and Beans are 19 weeks old now and are house bunnies. When I got home from work on Monday evening I noticed a few spots of what looked like diarrheoa on the kitchen floor. They were crusty, so I assumed they were from earlier on in the day (definitely not there when I left for work). I also noticed a few very small poos. Both buns were behaving normally, both had clean bottoms and both tucked into the fresh hay I gave them. I didn’t take then to the vets as I couldn’t tell who had done it and they were both eating and drinking normally.
I’ve been off work since and so have been keeping a close eye on them. I kept them on a hay only diet for 24 hrs and then reintroduced their pellets. Both have been absolutely fine and we have daily binkyfests.
This morning (okay, late morning) when I got up there was a small spot of diarrheoa again on the kitchen floor. When I managed to catch them both, it was apparent that it was from Pickle. You know when you check a bunny bottom and sometimes there’s a round poo in the fur as if they’ve only just done it? Well, that’s what it looked like, a small bit of mushy poo about half the size of a normal poo. He was clean everywhere else and Beans was totally pristine.
I offered them hay and they both tucked into it. They are both behaving as normal, hopping round the kitchen, trying to escape into the lounge and generally being their usual cheeky selves. Pickle has produced about 4 more liquid poos, although they seem to be more solid that the initial one. They’re both drinking and eating normally. Any ideas what might be the cause? I’ve not changed their diet. If Pickle continues with diarrheoa or appears anything less that his normal self I’ll be straight on the phone to the out of hours vets. I’ll definitely get him booked in with the vet on Tuesday to check him out regardless of whether he’s fine by then. I’m just monitoring them both closely at the moment. He’s just done two small formed poos but they’re very soft and moist when you squish them. Oh the joys of bunny ownership - poo sniffing and squishing!

What pellets are you feeding them and how much ?

Also, is the 'diarrhoea' true fecal diarrhoea or unformed cecotrophs ?

Do they have any Veg/fresh herbs ?

They’re on Oxbow Young Rabbit pellets and have been since I gradually switched them over to them when I first got them. They usually have a handful morning and night. They’ve not had any veg or herbs yet. I took a photo of the diarrheoa this morning, but forgot to check if it was in focus!
SWkf28Ql.jpg

This has been produced in the last half hour - I’m assuming by Pickle, but I didn’t actually observe it being produced! He’s currently chomping away on hay.
A1pS98sl.jpg

By 6pm last night everything was back to normal and so they were allowed into the lounge where they were both binkying and zooming around like lunatics.
This morning they are both full of beans and normal poos.

Glad they're back to normal :) Beano used to get slightly runny poo on excel pellets and certain bits of veg.

Glad to hear they are ok. It may have just been a stray random bit of food that didn't agree with them. But as you describe their behaviour, I'd suggest they are absolutley fine.
Any chance of having some new photos of the delightful duo please?

Glad to hear they are ok. It may have just been a stray random bit of food that didn't agree with them. But as you describe their behaviour, I'd suggest they are absolutley fine.
Any chance of having some new photos of the delightful duo please?
Did you see their Hoppy Easter video in stories and photos? I shall attempt to get them to stay still long enough for photos!
Will book them in at the vets tomorrow for a check up and also to discuss getting them neutered as their hormones are starting to kick in now.

Did you see their Hoppy Easter video in stories and photos? I shall attempt to get them to stay still long enough for photos!
Will book them in at the vets tomorrow for a check up and also to discuss getting them neutered as their hormones are starting to kick in now.

Ooh - just did. Blimey! What are you feeding Beans? He's amazing. I love watching buns binkeying. :love:

Back