• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My local RSPCA

Mikeymoo

Mama Doe
I noticed today that my local RSPCA doesnt post rabbits that need rehoming on RR.
What do you think is the best way for me to go about trying to get them to do this? It would be great for all the little buns there to have new homes, and with RR your not limited to your local area. Id love to help

I do this for our local SPCA, they don't have a computer or a digital camera. You could try just going along and having a chat to see what they say, but you have to keep on top of it, keep phoning to see if any have been adopted and if any new ones have come in.

You could send a letter explaining what you'd like to do and then phone them up and see what they say. If you are close enough to visit and take photos thats always a help too :D

Thanks,
Tam

Mikey I think the centre you're speaking of is my local one too. I hope you have a better response than i did. When they advertised in the Mercury that they were over run with bunnies and couldn't cope with the numbers coming in I offered to foster some ( i had already adopted 2 from them and been homechecked) but I was told " no thank you..we can manage :(
But Good Luck as they do get an awful lot of buns there and I would have thought could do with any offer of help.

honeybunny said:
Mikey I think the centre you're speaking of is my local one too. I hope you have a better response than i did. When they advertised in the Mercury that they were over run with bunnies and couldn't cope with the numbers coming in I offered to foster some ( i had already adopted 2 from them and been homechecked) but I was told " no thank you..we can manage :(
But Good Luck as they do get an awful lot of buns there and I would have thought could do with any offer of help.
Hum that will be my local one too i went there 3 weeks ago, i was shocked and suprized to learn that if you buy one of there hutches you dont have to have a home check for bunnies and piggies but if you have your own hutch cage you do.

I'm hoping to give rescues some info when I send around the survey in Jan/Feb. I have to much on to organise anything else at the moment though :)

Tam

Have to say im a bit shocked to hear that they werent very helpful. You would think they would want to do all they could to find homes for all those bunnys
I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see what they say

i've decided to pop in over the weekend instead of calling, wasnt quite sure what to say on the phone
Mikey is the name of my bunny, im hoping to put a picture on later

Please dont tar all Rspca Branches with the same brush. I work for a Rspca Medway West branch, we are only a small branch, yet we have over 50 rabbits in at a time and we beg for people like you to come forward. I bet your local Rspca is a Centre, they do run differently from us smaller branches, to start with if its an animal centre (home) it will get national funding where branches do not, so they can be really fussy in who has their animals. Although we look for the best possible homes for our bunnies, we rely on donations from rehoming to keep the our small centre running. We deal with people and to find rabbits new loving homes, where some of the larger centre are more for making money by putting fixed prices on their rabbit and selling expensive cages and runs. This ends up given us all a bad name.

Rspca Medway said:
Please dont tar all Rspca Branches with the same brush. I work for a Rspca Medway West branch, we are only a small branch, yet we have over 50 rabbits in at a time and we beg for people like you to come forward. I bet your local Rspca is a Centre, they do run differently from us smaller branches, to start with if its an animal centre (home) it will get national funding where branches do not, so they can be really fussy in who has their animals. Although we look for the best possible homes for our bunnies, we rely on donations from rehoming to keep the our small centre running. We deal with people and to find rabbits new loving homes, where some of the larger centre are more for making money by putting fixed prices on their rabbit and selling expensive cages and runs. This ends up given us all a bad name.

Firstly I would like to say Hi :wave:

Can I ask how will we know if our local RSPCA is a centre or a non funding branch :?: do all the rspca's do the same homecheck courses :?: or is each one different :?: was considering doing the homecheckers course with the Barnshill branch in Birmingham. Sorry for the questions :oops:

Hi Denny,
Thanks for your intrest. You can tell if your Local Rspca is a Brach or National run by the name. Most Branches will state that they are a branch where most of the National funded Rspca are stated as Homes or Animal Centres. Eg in our area we are Rspca Medway West Branch Small Animal Centre and not far away is Rspca Leybourne Animal Centre. You can usual tell aswell as most Rspca homes are the same your get an idea if you watch Animal Rescue as they always visit the Animal Centres. Branches buy land or convert land, our branch use to be a house that was donated to us, we convert it so we have a small clinic, a wildlife unit, rodent room, sick bay, isolation and hutches and runs for all our rabbits, it amazing what you can do with a small space and limited funds.

Home checking, I know of no courses, we get information packs from the National Headquartres on what to look for when home checking. We have different information packs for different animals. Any Rspca is alway grateful for people offering to do home checks, some provide forms of things to look for, but home checking is mainly common sense. I feel home checking is based on instinct. If you walk into a house a there is a child running after the family cat and grabbing by the tail, you usually can tell its not going to be the place for placing another animal. Home checking does take up alot of time and back logs can cause animals to stay in centres for longer than they have too. So if your considering home checking for you local Rspca or other charities im sure they would be extremely grateful.

I hope i've answer all your question and i've been of some help. :D
Amanda

Back