• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training Hope?

Hopesmum

New Kit
Hi eveyone
I'm getting my mini Lop bunny, Hope , I'm just under three weeks time and am unsure how to litter train her. She will be my 5th Bunny. The last one Toby died about 11 yrs ago. In that time I had my lovely wee dog Elmo whom I recently sadly lost due to complications after an operation.
I have got her what I think is a good sized cage- which I'm prepared to get her another is she grows out of). I have put a small corner litter tray in the corner of the cage but unsure about how to go about getting her to go in it. I thought about removing it and just putting a puppy pad in instead of the toilet when we first get her. I am lining the cage with newspaper which I have also done for my bunnies as it seems to make everything easier to clean. I have some lovely toys for her and a play tent and a play tunnel for her to play in. We are keeping her in the kitchen so she will be out of her cage a lot hopping about. Obviously I want her to use her toilet and not go in the kitchen or the rest of the flat.
I have also bought a washable puppy pad from etsy that I was thinking of putting in her bed. I'm using a fleece cover for her bed. I have always done this and it seems work well. It been such a long time sme I did this so any help much appreciated. Don't want to get it wrong!
Thankyou xx

I have found that if you put hay in the litter tray it will encourage bunny to use it as a toilet as they like to chew while they pooh. She may even choose to lie in it which is quite normal. Treats which contain seeds or corn are not good for rabbits as they can't digest them properly so I wouldn't waste money on them! How old will she be when you get her?

Hi Tonibun.
Thanks for your reply. She was born on 5th of March so she is 6 and a bit weeks old. I'm getting on the 10th of May. She is actually ready on 31st of April but I'm going away for my birthday to a hotel for 2 days for my birthday on the 5th of May so we have to pick her up afterwards on the 10th. So excited! ���� I will put the hay rack close to toilet, and put a few strands on it. Many thanks.

I find that a 32 litre underbed storage box makes a great litter tray. I fill mine with newspaper and lots of hay. I also give hay in magazine racks.

My two indoor rabbits in their room (about 10 foot by 7 foot)

2lawlde.jpg

one of the four outdoor rabbits in their shed (6x 4 shed with a run attached)

2mzl7kj.jpg

It will be lovely to see pics of your new doe when she arrives. Mine always chew any fabric and wee on it !!!

Hi Tulsi
Thanks very much for the tip.,Hope has a cage but will spend a lot of time out of it as I am always around in the day to watch her hop about the flat.
I have bought her a corner toilet for the cage, so hoping this will work, if not will have to rethink.
Will try and post photos when I get her. Very excited! You have a brilliant set up for your rabbits.:)

Back