• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please Help!!! Bunny Skin Problems...

Annie68

New Kit
Hello all, today, I came to check on my 7 week old Holland lop bunnies, and on one of them I noticed a red splotch on her back that had very short hair, and I suspect that some of it, has fallen out... I've never seen this before, so I was wondering if anybody knows what this is, and if it is serious, and u should go to the vet, or I could possibly treat it in my own, because it is very hard to get to the vets, as they are always booked. I have attached a picture below, and thanks in advance. 🐇 p.s I do not know if the picture will work, but I'll try.

Here's the link for the picture.
http://imgur.com/IsEYfJO

It could be fur mites, but it's impossible to tell for certain just by looking at a photo

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Cheyletiellosis.htm

You dont want to start using mite treatment on a 7 week old kit unless you are certain that they have mites. So you do need to obtain Veterinary advice.

The Mother is not starting to nip the Kits at all is she ? The skin does look sore, which could be from the kit scratching it, but equally it could be that Mum Rabbit nipped the kit.Mites often occur when a Rabbit is stressed or under the weather in some way. So another good reason to get the Rabbits checked over by a Vet.

I agree with Jane that it should be checked by a vet. Some issues are contagious and others may spread to ears or faces where it can be more difficult to treat.

Thank you so much, I will try to get them to the vet, it's just a long waitlist, so I was wondering if there was something I could do to soothe her skin. I do not think the mother is nipping the kits, it us possible, but I haven't seen such behaviour from her.

I wouldn't put anything on it as it will probably get groomed straight off again by baby bunny or its companions, and so make the sore patch worse.

I agree with the previous posts, and also with Shimmers assessment above. As much as you feel a sense to want to put something on, then it may aggrevate the problem. Rabbits have sensitive skin and sometimes over the counter remidies could lead to secondary issues. It's hard to really suggest a passive solution - perhaps just some freshly boilied (then cooled) water to bathe the area?
But I would certainly prioritise a vet trip and try to plead a case to queue jump if you can. It would be better to have a diagnosis sooner so that appropriate treatment can be given and make bunny better.

Back