• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very Worried Pregnancy Scare!!

maryflynn

Warren Scout
Guys I need some help!

My partner took Mitsy our bun round to a friends as normal one night as she loves the attention, however his male rabbit and her for the first time were put together and well.. you can guess, i was very annoyed as neither have been done n usually play outside the cages together.. anyway...since then Mitsy has been acting v.strangly, she is normally so affectionate but now she WILL NOT be picked up or played with, she still like nose rubs n is still inquisitive but very agitated and defensive n has for the 1st time started "going for us" if we get too close for her. Im so stressed bcos i think the experience has tramatised her.. or shes pregnant n defensive cos she feels it. my questions are.. what do i do if she is pregnant, how llong does the pregnancy last and what shall i do expect and do?? im really worried n furious that my fella let it happen please help !! how long will this off behaviour last, is it permanent?

Not experienced here of pregnant does but I would say she is either pregnant or experiencing a phantom pregnancy. When Honey was unspayed and in season she would bounce with Alfie (neutered) which seemed to trigger her hormones into a phantom pregnancy - she would act as Mitsy is and even nest build including pulling hair from her dewlap but after a few days, she would return to normal (still a feisty madam though).

If Misty starts grunting and freaking out then she's 100% pregnant. If not and she’s keen to she him then she’s not.

Thats a good tip for pregnancy testing in bunnies, have not heard of this before, thank you for teaching me something new today re bunnies :D :lol: :lol:

Oh Poop! so sorry seem to have zapped some of your posting in error...ooh hope you can forgive me?? I pushed the edit rather than the quote button....mind you it has been a few weeks since I boobed...so I guess it was going to happen right about now...very sorry :oops: :oops: :oops:(But I will leave this as anonymous....so Tamsin picks up the blame instead... :twisted: ..only teasing :lol: :lol:
Adele)

Hi Toby, since Adele has zapped your message :lol: can you repeat what you said please?
Is it a sure fire thing that if she gets grumpy and freaked out that she is pregnant? Is there any other way to tell?????

Angela

Thumps said:
Is it a sure fire thing that if she gets grumpy and freaked out that she is pregnant? Is there any other way to tell?????

:shock: Is this Adele or the bun we're talking about here? :wink: :p :lol:

bunnyhuggger said:
Thumps said:

:shock: Is this Adele or the bun we're talking about here? :wink: :p :lol:

:shock: :shock: Lynda....I have no intention of breeding, bunnies or otherwise :roll: ..I have more than enough babies around here with David and all the naughty bunnies :roll: :lol: :lol:
Mind you, I am sometimes grumpy and freaked out without being pregnant, so its perhaps a very good thing I do not have children :roll: :lol: :lol:

As far as I know, signs of pregnancy and pseudo-pregnancy (phantom pregnancy) are very similar, as the same hormones are going around. She'll show her nesting behavious, grunting, agressiveness, etc, in both cases.

Best to take her to the vet to find out for sure...

Back