• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit neutered today. But can't give the medication

Lefteris

Warren Scout
Hello
Today i had my rabbit neutered in a savvy rabbit vet.Everything went good, he seems fine now, eats a little food but the vet gave me antibiotics for 8 days .
The problem is i cant give it. Everytime i touch the syringe to his mouth he is acting crazy and running around or if i hold him he is kicking bad.
What i can do? I thought of giving it with banana or apple but he is dont like any fruit.
Same gonna happen tomorrow with the pain medication :(:(

Last edited:
Hello
Today i had my rabbit neutered in a savvy rabbit vet.Everything went good, he seems fine now, eats a little food but the vet gave me antibiotics for 8 days .
The problem is i cant give it. Everytime i touch the syringe to his mouth he is acting crazy and running around or if i hold him he is kicking bad.
What i can do? I thought of giving it with banana or apple but he is dont like any fruit.
Same gonna happen tomorrow with the pain medication :(:(
Have you tried putting him in a bunny burrito? You can Google it, there'll be videos you can watch, it's essentially wrapping him in a hand towel so he can't really move or kick, then you insert the syringe into the side of the mouth behind the front teeth, it's much easier for bunnies that don't appreciate we're trying to help them [emoji38] I hope you manage to give him his pain meds okay :)

Have you got any of the pouch baby food, my bunny likes the carrot apple and parsnip flavour from Aldi, you can also get Ella’s kitchen or other brands. If he likes that you might be able to mix it with that to get him to take it. Or some bunnies will take it soaked into a shreddie or wrapped in a herb leaf.

Its possible the vet may have already given antibiotics/painkillers to cover today as that is normally what they’d do unless your vet is different.

I tried it but was impossible. With a lot of effort i gave the antibiotics on a leaf of fresh green
Other than that , is it normal that he eats fresh green as much as i give him (dont know if its ok to give him a lot) a few hay nibbles and i hand feed him a few pellets of his food.
He peed and pooped a little. Precisely 6-7 poops made during the night normal shaped

If he’s used to eating those greens, then for now, whatever he will eat is fine. It’s normal after an op for them to be a bit off their food and their digestive system to have slowed down, but I would hope that he will start to improve rapidly today, especially after he’s had his painkiller. Sometimes they will not eat until you push it under their noses, but once he is eating more, he should feel like eating more. I would suggest ringing your vets in any case just to see what they say.

A quick update
Frodo is doing extremely well. He is eating drinking normal and he behave like before the surgery.
What i noticed is that his testicles are swollen. The incisions looks very good and i don't think there is any infection.
I read that is normal after 2-3 days the testicles to be swollen. I guess i dont have to worry

Back