• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Our Bunny took ill, please read what does this sound like?

d2007ave

Young Bun
Dear Forum users

I was wondering if some fellow bunny owners may be able to give their opinions.

Sadly our bunny passed away this week (Sunday 31st March). He had just passed his 8th Birthday and took ill quite suddenly. He was agreat pet and will be sorely missed. He was a netherland min lop cross.

I’m wondering what happened, I have an idea but will not write it here so that I do not influence thoughts. Our vet is not sure and guess has put it down to gut stasis but I am not so sure.

The events were as follows.
Tuesday: Bunny was in a great mood, eating and drinking fine. In the evening he did a big hop in the living room which was unusual for him, we thought he seemed happy. When we went to give him his last mel of the day, a bowl of veg, he ate half and lay down. This was a little unusual for him as he normally eats most. Now the stranger thing, after an hour I saw him lying flat out on the carpet, he looked a little strange and I was unable to rouse him from his near unconscious state, eventually he did wake up and he went to his hutch….

Wednesday: We make up and discover bunny has diarrhoea, the poop smells pretty bad. He is not eating so we take him immediately to the vet. The vet keeps him in and gives metacam and ranitidine. The vet identified that the guts were barely working. Bunny kept in for care and syringe feeding. Bunny released to us in the evening for us to continue the care, syrienge feeding, metacam and ranitidine.

Thursday Bunny continues medicine and is now eating solids, he begins to poop normally. Bunny looks in good state and eats all his normal meals by himself.

Friday: 1st thing it is noted Bunny poorly again, not eating, took bunny to vet and he is hospitalised for nurse care. Same medicines again syrienge feeding, metacam and ranitidine. Guts seem to have stopped working again

Saturday: We are told good news our bunny can come home and is apparently eating solids….. We collect him and we can observe he is weak and he picks at food, we hand feed him some softish food (flat dried peas), he refuses anything that is hard. He grinds his teeth a lot. Bunny drinks massive amount of water…………. Almost feels like too much water

Sunday AM. Bunny appears very poorly, we return to the vet (not our vet – as ours was closed on Sunday) We are told the prognosis looks very poor, grinding teeth, bit hunched up, not eating. He has what feels like bulges on his underside (perhaps his intestines – gas) The vet says that he is bloated, his blood sugar is very high and he may have a blockage. We are told that they could xray and operate but they did not think his outlook was good. While at the vets he appeared to fade away rapidly and we ended up taking the very hard decision of having him put to sleep.

We are so sad at the loss of our bunny, our much loved pet. What a fantastic little friend he was.

What does this sound like to you? We have seen gut stasis before but this felt different, maybe that’s what it was. The vet did not really say what was wrong but it looked as if the treatment was for gut stasis although that was maybe a result of something else. Thank you for reading and your time
Dave

I am so sorry you have lost your bunny. My guess is he did some damage when he hopped unusually. They have weak backs so did he twist it or fracture something and this meant he would be in pain which slowed his gut down.

I'm so sorry that you have lost your bunny. I agree, the only way to found out what happened, would be a pm.

I am very sorry to read of the loss of your rabbit. One of the problems we face, especially as rabbit carers, is that bunnies tend to hide any ailment or illness due to the fact they are, at heart, prey animals and by genetic definition, they must not show how poorly they are.This creates a huge dilema for us as carers of them. From what your story indicates, you appeared to take all the appropriate action by getting your rabbit seen by vets. Sometimes there is an underlying problem which can only be determined by blood tests or x-rays. You didn't seem to suggest that this happened. You mentioned drinking alot of water - and although I'm generalising, this may have been linked to the diahorrea and dehydration? Or it may have been linked to a kidney issue? I agree with the other posts in that th enly conclusive way would be a PM but this is a personal decision for you.
Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry you have lost your rabbit. I am assuming he was fully vaccinated, including RHD2, so think the only way to determine the cause would be a PM.

I'm sorry that you have lost your rabbit. You took all the right actions, but unfortunately, despite all the professional treatment, he was too poorly. He was lucky to have a caring owner on his side and I hope you can find some comfort in that.

Thank you to everyone for your reply and condolences. I wish perhaps you could have been able to answer the "what could it have been" i know it would have only been guesses on limited information but i would have appreciated your responses, nobody would have been held to their answers.. No post mortem was carried out, we would not have wanted our bunny to be cut open after passing. He was put to rest in his garden.
Thank you

I am so sorry you have lost your bunny. My guess is he did some damage when he hopped unusually. They have weak backs so did he twist it or fracture something and this meant he would be in pain which slowed his gut down.

Thank you Toni, yes i won't know, im guessing it wasn't his back as he appeared a wee fella with a sturdy compact body, i did not see anything that suggested back but altough i have a good eye for animals i'm no expert
thanks

Back