• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Difficult situation!

moi

Mama Doe
So I had 4 rabbits, one whom has recently died :( I always said that when the time came I wouldn't replace them as they passed away. But Benji looks so sad and I know being paired makes a happier bun. But then when does it stop? Will i end up with 4 buns into my old age as i cant bare to let a bun be alone? I dont know if I'm getting across what i mean. I guess I'm asking if I should find Benji a friend when I feel ready?? X

It's always a tough one isn't it. :(

When Alfie lost Lola, I already knew that I didn't want to continue owning bunnies once Alfie he was gone. I was extremely lucky that we were able to bond him with a lovely bunny called Muffin - she belonged to my vet and had just lost her own partner so my vet very selflessly offered to 'loan' Muffin to be Alfie's friend for however long he had left and she would have her back to pair up with another bunny. When the time came, it was very hard to give Muffin back but something I always knew would happen.

Would it be an option to bond him with your other two bunnies? Or you could ask local rescues if they have any hard to adopt or elderly rabbits that they would be willing for you to foster for them?

I dont think I could bond them into a trio as Tonic was very hard to bond and only liked Peggy. Benji has been trying to make friends with him through the bars but 6 years later Tonic still nips and slaps him! Lol Its a Shame really as Peggy is a sociable bun. She got out once and was happily grazing next to Bunny and Benji in the garden xx

Fostering seems Like a very good idea, thank you. I shall look into it. Xx

Oh dear, it sounds like Tonic is quite particular about her bunny company! [emoji23]

I hope you find a suitable solution. Xx

Sending hugs. A hard to adopt or elderly rabbit to foster is what I'd go for in your situation.

I think this is something a lot of people fear and sadly, I don’t think there’s a simple solution! When I lost Frankie, I was lucky enough to bond her partner Ted with my other pair. My other options would’ve been taking on another as a foster (I would have struggled to give them back if the time came) or give Ted back to the rescue.

I am facing a similar issue with my guinea pigs but, although it’ll be hard, I think I can justify taking the single pig back to rescue as they will be happy if they have friends and food!!

There is no right or wrong answer and you have to do what is right for all of you. x

It's something me and OH have thought a lot about even though ours are (hopefully) a long way off this situation, but we've come to the conclusion that whatever happens, we'll deal with it at the time, depending on our situation and the bunnies we have. There's always been talk of adopting the oldest/longest-resident bunnies in the rescue for us, because we're not super-attached to ours like some people :)

That's not an answer, but as Nikki26 said, whatever's right for you is right, and the others have proposed good potential solutions.

Oh dear, it sounds like Tonic is quite particular about her bunny company! [emoji23]

I hope you find a suitable solution. Xx
He is.... the rescue nearly rehomed him a a single bun and gave him one last chance with Peggy xx

So I had 4 rabbits, one whom has recently died :( I always said that when the time came I wouldn't replace them as they passed away. But Benji looks so sad and I know being paired makes a happier bun. But then when does it stop? Will i end up with 4 buns into my old age as i cant bare to let a bun be alone? I dont know if I'm getting across what i mean. I guess I'm asking if I should find Benji a friend when I feel ready?? X

I went through the same thing recently. In the end, I decided to get a bunny who was the same age my bunny is, hoping when one of them pass away the other is old enough that I don't have to ask myself this question again (everyone is 5 y o right now).
It's a very personal decision. I decided to get another bunny again because 5 isn't that old and that I leave pretty regularly on business trips for a few days - I did it once while my rabbit was single and he was just looking at me from behind his baby gate while I was leaving and it was awful. I couldn't bare to leave him all alone in the house for days (I have a petsitter come twice a day, but you know...) and I can't stay at home all year round for the 5 or 6 years to come ^^'.

He is.... the rescue nearly rehomed him a a single bun and gave him one last chance with Peggy xx
Sorry, I referred to him as 'she'. I should have known the troublemaker would be a man. [emoji23][emoji23] Alfie was quite bossy, bless him, but we were lucky to find him partners that just let him get on with it.

Back