• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

luna’s claw came off??

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
was clipping claws, didn’t even touch it that claw and it’s come off?? I’m fairly certain anyway as there’s no claw that I can see but it’s mostly blood.

dipped her foot in flour and it’s stopped bleeding but shes not a happy camper

what would you guys do? emergency vet or no?

I’m leaning towards not as she seems ok and it’s stopped bleeding but I’m not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ac9f5b6408abe098cc4a4d14c62db2b7.jpg

best picture I could grab, sorry :(

she’s eating and is acting okay, i don’t want to stress her out further, idk what to do really.

can’t find the missing claw either.

ac9f5b6408abe098cc4a4d14c62db2b7.jpg

best picture I could grab, sorry :(

she’s eating and is acting okay, i don’t want to stress her out further, idk what to do really.

can’t find the missing claw either.

Poor Luna!

This may not be the popular response, but I'd leave her and keep an eye :) if the bleeding has stopped and she goes back to normal she'll be fine, the nail may regrow it may not.. If it does it may look a bit weird, but it'll be fine :) Clementine lost a claw like this once, I rushed her to the vet and William was like you really didn't need to [emoji38] she was absolutely fine and it regrew fine :)

If she changes obviously go, otherwise I'd make sure it's clean over next few days but that's about it :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Poor Luna!

This may not be the popular response, but I'd leave her and keep an eye :) if the bleeding has stopped and she goes back to normal she'll be fine, the nail may regrow it may not.. If it does it may look a bit weird, but it'll be fine :) Clementine lost a claw like this once, I rushed her to the vet and William was like you really didn't need to [emoji38] she was absolutely fine and it regrew fine :)

If she changes obviously go, otherwise I'd make sure it's clean over next few days but that's about it :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I agree. Bridge bunny Arce was missing a claw when I adopted her. Never grew back though but it didn't stop her.

Yeah this is a case where I'd not bring to vet as the bleeding has stopped so now it's just to keep an eye on it and her behavior in case it were to get infected or she was in a lot of pain with it. Sometimes when animals break a claw they can be quiet for a day so I'd just make sure she's eating.

With some animals (e.g. birds, dogs) I'll make saline solution and spray it on/soak it, to prevent infection and seems to make it feel better. Don't think I've ever done this with a bunny though since I don't usually have broken bunny claws. Personally for a bunny I'd just leave it alone for now, I wouldn't like to get her foot wet and stress her more.

My rabbit Izzy had a claw that never grew back too. But usually claws will grow back I think.

If your bunny is acting normally and not favoring that foot, I would just keep it clean and check it for a few days.
Sometimes I will trim a bunny's nails and find they must have broke one when I was not looking and it is already growing back before I knew it was gone.

so I did have a proper look this morning now most of the blood has flaked off. she does still have a claw but its very very short, its not really sticking out of the foot if it makes sense. probably why with all of the blood it was impossible to see if there was a claw or not! and I didn't want to poke it around too much of course.

still don't know what happened as I didn't touch that claw :( I don't think I caught it and she never struggled nor flinched so I'm really lost.

no sore toes, her sore hocks on her front toes have actually healed over, its just her back feetsies now x

so I did have a proper look this morning now most of the blood has flaked off. she does still have a claw but its very very short, its not really sticking out of the foot if it makes sense. probably why with all of the blood it was impossible to see if there was a claw or not! and I didn't want to poke it around too much of course.

still don't know what happened as I didn't touch that claw :( I don't think I caught it and she never struggled nor flinched so I'm really lost.

no sore toes, her sore hocks on her front toes have actually healed over, its just her back feetsies now x

Is she acting like her normal self otherwise today?

Our Blossom has randomly lost around 4 claws now on separate occasions. Only once did we see a tiny bit of blood on the carpet so think she must have caught it on something. The other times I've just found them on the floor. She's never been bothered and they are all growing back, just very slowly x

Is she acting like her normal self otherwise today?

Our Blossom has randomly lost around 4 claws now on separate occasions. Only once did we see a tiny bit of blood on the carpet so think she must have caught it on something. The other times I've just found them on the floor. She's never been bothered and they are all growing back, just very slowly x

def, she's been chasing me up and down the room every time I've gone in, has harassed me for my lunch, and has bitten my ankles many times :lol:

she managed to rip her dew claw off before but I rushed her to the vet as it was a bit of a big hole :shock: they gave her metacam and antibiotics and it healed well, and it grew another claw.

I would not be surprised if the nail was already broken. It may have been held together with a scab of blood from a prior injury and/or a small piece of vein.
It is good to know she is not letting this slow her down!!

Sounds like whatever happened, she's got over it now, nipping ankles-naughty Luna :lol: :lol: (sorry)

Back