• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my rabbit jus had babiess

ok my rabbit jus had babies yesterday and i didnt kno until this morning and it sumtimes steps on its babies is that normal? i mean i seen it lick them so it couldnt be abandoining them. what should i do? help me get sum facts on how to care for these babies.. thanks!

The babies should be in the nest.... if they are not then I would advise you putting them back in the nest. However if they are in the nest, then things should be ok. I have seen does stepping on her babies and I don't think it's as bad as it looks. Before handling the babies for whatever reason, stroke the mother first (this gets mummy’s sent on your hands rather then yours) then handle them. As long as the babies have bellies full of milk, and they are active every thing should be fine. You as a person need to care for the mother rabbit - as the mother will care for her babies. Just keep an eye out.

If your new - welcome to the board :wave:

Best thing to do is read the posts by "nana of bunnies" she just had a similar thing happen to her and has had loads of great advice!

Caz

Hi missoxoqtee,
One of my rabbits just had bunnies too and I hope I can help you with your current problem :)
I have had excellent advice given to me with all of this. One of the biggest things in my opinion is to let the mother rabbit feel secure with you. That your there to help and not to harm her babies.
What we have been doing is to be sure we have the mothers scent all over our hands before even touching the nesting box. We wash our hands before hand and just stroke and stroke mommy to get her scent all over us.
Toby helped me alot with a problem I had when Oreoelle wouldnt feed her young. She suggested that we do the above, one person cradle the mom and the other hold a baby and allow the baby to feed that way. I only had to do that twice and from then on mom took over.
I found it to be very important that the babies are warm. Even though our babies are inside, I make sure the room is a warm temp and that the babies are always surrounded by either nesting material or the mommys fur.
If you have any more questions please post away. Im sure all your questions will be answered with no problem

Please keep me posted!
Nicole (nana_of_bunnies)

75556271.jpg
75556271.jpg
75556271.jpg
75556271.jpg

75556069.jpg
75556076.jpg
75556084.jpg
75556093.jpg
75556105.jpg

kk

kk thanks every one the babies are all fine now i guess the mom panicked when it saw me looking at them it doesnt step anymore it a great mom. and there doing great! thankss

Does with kits in the nest, rarely have much to do with them. She will go to feed them a few times a day, and thats about it. After years of litters, ive never seen a mother feeding the kits, so dont worry if it seems like she has rejected them. Im sure she hasnt.
What you described as 'stepping' on them, was just the mother guarding her kits. She must have felt you were a danger to her babies, so was standing over them to protect them.
As the mother is obviously upset about you in the nest, take her out of sight of the babies when you check them. Remeber to rub your hands in the mothers soiled bedding before you do so. You only need to be quick, just part the bedding slightly to check if any have died, and that they are all wiggling and warm. Just look at their bellys, if they are round, and the skin on it is faily tight, then they have been fed by the mother. But, if the skin around their stomachs are very wrinkly, then this means she hasnt been.
Youll need to make sure that all the kits are surrounded by the mothers fur, and have extra bedding.
Mind usually start to wander out of the nest at about 2 weeks old-ish.
feel free to PM me if you need to know any more, and GOOD LUCK :)

Emma x

Back