• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with metacam dose

Hi my two rabbits were spayed yesterday and were given an injection of pain relief to last 24 hours. I asked about them having pain relief for today but the nurse made out they wouldn’t need it. Anyway I’m not convinced and want them to have some. I already have some meloxicam canine which was prescribed for Primrose earlier this year so it’s still in date.

I rang my vets earlier and asked them what dosage to give but they didn’t tell me and said to ring back later if they’re not eating. I want to give them some anyway so please can you help. They weigh 1.6kg and 1.7kg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can’t advise on dosages as it’s a prescription only medicine I’m afraid. Your vet should be able to advise though.

We can’t advise on dosages as it’s a prescription only medicine I’m afraid. Your vet should be able to advise though.

Ah okay thanks. They wouldn’t tell me that’s the problem. They seemed to think the girls wouldn’t need it but by the sound of it when I look online, rabbits are usually given some to have the day after their spay. Just hope they aren’t in pain. :(

Ah okay thanks. They wouldn’t tell me that’s the problem. They seemed to think the girls wouldn’t need it but by the sound of it when I look online, rabbits are usually given some to have the day after their spay. Just hope they aren’t in pain. :(
Call back, say they're in pain and insist they tell you a dose... Well that's what I'd do [emoji38] it won't hurt them having a painkiller.. So I'd just be a pain and be like I want to talk to a vet if whoever answers the phone isn't helpful [emoji38] but that's just me I am a pain.. [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

unfortunately they will be in pain. a spay would be the same as a human woman having her uterus taken out - imagine that with no pain relief! it would be utterly agonising, as would any surgery be without medication.

I would call back and demand it, and then find a new vet in all honesty. it angers me that so many vets believe that bunnies do not need medication :( they do need it, without it they're likely to go into stasis or pick at their spay wound. if they refuse I would call another vet and explain the situation, hopefully they can help.

sorry for the brief post xx

unfortunately they will be in pain. a spay would be the same as a human woman having her uterus taken out - imagine that with no pain relief! it would be utterly agonising, as would any surgery be without medication.

I would call back and demand it, and then find a new vet in all honesty. it angers me that so many vets believe that bunnies do not need medication :( they do need it, without it they're likely to go into stasis or pick at their spay wound. if they refuse I would call another vet and explain the situation, hopefully they can help.

sorry for the brief post xx
Yea or suggest they're like cats, that annoys me too! Also the pain relief dose given by a normal vet, my exotic one looked at and was like yea.. This really won't be doing anything [emoji849] Idk how some vets are like this :/ baffling.

Bit of a tangent sorry just annoys me, some vets don't seem to think they need pain relief, it's not what I'm comfortable with personally, but it is done, I'd just insist if it was me :) hope you get it sorted out x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm with Graciee - as guardian for your rabbits, you want what is in their interests and you know how they are. I agree with BinkeyCodey in that they would likely to be in some discomfort even though they don't vocalise. Metacam is there to be used for pain control and your vet should support your concerns so I would suggest ringing the vet and expressing a view that you would like to continue to administer metacam for a short period just to ensure your rabbits are comfortable.

Thank you yes that’s exactly what I thought. They’re eating and drinking so appear to not be in any discomfort now but I don’t understand how they can’t be after such a big op. They’re closed now so I’m just going to have to research and work out the right dose for them.

Thank you yes that’s exactly what I thought. They’re eating and drinking so appear to not be in any discomfort now but I don’t understand how they can’t be after such a big op. They’re closed now so I’m just going to have to research and work out the right dose for them.

its possible they were given an injection of metacam however this will wear off of course. ideally they need it for at least 5 days or so, most do a week :)

its possible they were given an injection of metacam however this will wear off of course. ideally they need it for at least 5 days or so, most do a week :)

Yes they had an injection that lasted 24 hours. Thank you I’ll make sure I give them some. The frustrating thing is that I already have the medicine just don’t know the right dosage. :(

Are they going back for a check up tomorrow? Discuss it with the vet at the appointment. If there are no issues with the wound and both are eating / weeing / pooing normally, they probably don't need any additional pain relief. It does seem to be routine these days.

The rabbit I had spayed last week had exactly the same - 24hrs cover by injection and nothing to take home - and I didn't feel she needed any additional pain relief, although I would have taken her back the next day if I thought there was an issue with it. She is confined much more than usual so she can't overstretch and do any damage to the wound. I have had some that have been a little too energetic after an op because they had additional pain relief and were risking more damage because of it.

pain-meds/rx for rabbits

-I find it very difficult to just read and say nothing,-we are the care takers of our critters--therefore we are the first responders to any problem that cannot wait-for an appointment..-here is a website which will help-please read/act responsibly- http://www.medirabbit.com and http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html -I could directly answer your concern but I may cross the line..i feel I am position of directing rather than direct involvement...sincerely james waller from the other kent,wa.st.u.s.a:love::wave:

Thank you everyone, I’ve been researching all night and worked out a dose so they’ve both had additional pain relief now. They didn’t appear to be in pain but I didn’t want to take a chance! I’ll definitely discuss it with my vets at their post op appointment tomorrow. It was the nurse dealing with me on the phone so will be good to speak to the actual vet who did the procedure.

Thank you everyone, I’ve been researching all night and worked out a dose so they’ve both had additional pain relief now. They didn’t appear to be in pain but I didn’t want to take a chance! I’ll definitely discuss it with my vets at their post op appointment tomorrow. It was the nurse dealing with me on the phone so will be good to speak to the actual vet who did the procedure.

Just ask if it would be acceptable for a woman (human) to only have 24 hours analgesic cover after a total abdominal hysterectomy !!

Glad the girls appear to be doing well xx

They must be feeling better because they’ve had a party today :roll: :lol: I got back from work and they were in their indoor cage but there was a pile of bunny poos in the corner of the dining room and also an empty bag of treats!! They’d managed to escape but then went back in!

They must be feeling better because they’ve had a party today :roll: :lol: I got back from work and they were in their indoor cage but there was a pile of bunny poos in the corner of the dining room and also an empty bag of treats!! They’d managed to escape but then went back in!

Ooooops !! xx

Vet update!

Just been and to be honest the vet was great and listened to me. She agreed that they should have some metacam to be going on with and she confirmed the dose with me... I’d given them the right amount last night, thank goodness! Anyway it turns out the nurse I spoke to yesterday must just be inexperienced so not impressed with her. At least the vet was understanding. So all sorted now. Also they are healing really well. :love:

Thanks everyone for all your help. :)

Vet update!

Just been and to be honest the vet was great and listened to me. She agreed that they should have some metacam to be going on with and she confirmed the dose with me... I’d given them the right amount last night, thank goodness! Anyway it turns out the nurse I spoke to yesterday must just be inexperienced so not impressed with her. At least the vet was understanding. So all sorted now. Also they are healing really well. :love:

Thanks everyone for all your help. :)

Great update ! :D

Reading your post made me smile. Seeing your girls were well enough to make a mess must have give you so much comfort. I am also glad your vet agreed they should have had pain meds and that you got the appropriate dosage.

Back