• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about a rescue

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
I have just rescued 2 rabbits who were being advertised as free online. I am so heartbroken that I got to these 2 after the others have gone to god knows where.

It was a very difficult situation. The woman didn't have great English and she had no idea about the rabbits, relying on her 6 year old daughter to tell me how old they are. The daughter held the rabbits on their and threw them in the carrier upside down. They were being kept in a small plastic under bed storage container with the lid on. I am heartbroken. The woman wouldn't let me take the mum and dad rabbit because they are her daughter's. I asked the daughter if I could take the mum and dad and I would send lots of pictures but she said "no I want them to have more babies and then when that is finished I can get a turtle".

They said they are 5 weeks but that cannot be right as the male's testicles have descended. The male seems healthy but the female is very very skinny and has hair loss. I am very worried about her. I am taking them both to the vet tomorrow.

I am heartbroken at this entire situation and wish I could do more!

I have just rescued 2 rabbits who were being advertised as free online. I am so heartbroken that I got to these 2 after the others have gone to god knows where.

It was a very difficult situation. The woman didn't have great English and she had no idea about the rabbits, relying on her 6 year old daughter to tell me how old they are. The daughter held the rabbits on their and threw them in the carrier upside down. They were being kept in a small plastic under bed storage container with the lid on. I am heartbroken. The woman wouldn't let me take the mum and dad rabbit because they are her daughter's. I asked the daughter if I could take the mum and dad and I would send lots of pictures but she said "no I want them to have more babies and then when that is finished I can get a turtle".

They said they are 5 weeks but that cannot be right as the male's testicles have descended. The male seems healthy but the female is very very skinny and has hair loss. I am very worried about her. I am taking them both to the vet tomorrow.

I am heartbroken at this entire situation and wish I could do more!
That sounds awful, I'd call the rspca personally, explain everything I'd witnessed and seen in person, they may do something

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

That sounds awful, I'd call the rspca personally, explain everything I'd witnessed and seen in person, they may do something

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Definitely agree with this. If that's the conditions the babies have been kept in then this woman has no business keeping rabbits. Hopefully the RSPCA can help,thank you for rescuing those you could.

I agree with every thing said above.

Being kept in a storage box under the bed I would hope the rspca does some thing. On top of that leaving the care to a six year old who is breeding them is surely some thing they would want to stop. What is being done to those helpless animals is beyond disgusting!

You just can't comprehend some things. I feel so sorry for these rab bits and know you will do your best for them. Let us know how you get on at the Vets.

Back