• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our garden is like the wild west...

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Lillian and Henry used to love going out into our garden. Then, a few weeks ago there was the incident with the cat stalking Lillian.
The same cat returned last week and I managed to shoo it away as it was creeping up the path towards Lillian.
Then, 2 days ago, when they finally plucked up the courage to go back into the garden, a damn great aggressive magpie started to attack Henry - pecking at him (fortunately not hitting him) but it was still unprovoked attack. So that magpie got short thrift from me.
And then today - today was the icing on the cake. I had just got home and opened the door to the garden and I stepped out and whizzing over the 6 foot fence to my left was a small robin and literally in it's wake was a hawk! I could tell it was a hawk because (a) it's tail was the same pattern and shape - spade, and (b) the thing was literally a few feet away from me as they zoomed into the bush to my right. A bird in the distance was giving a warning call to anyone else about.
So, our once safe haven garden now has a prowling cat, an agressive magpie AND now a hawk. It's no wonder Henry and Lillian don't want to go outside. :cry:

I can empathise. My OH & I rented an oversized expensive (dingy, oudated & horrible) purely because there was a big "safe" garden for them to roam in. They loved it but it just felt too risky after I saw a weasel visit & a big Ginger Tom chased Joe & scared him witless. We can't really stop nature going on in our outside space though & personally I wouldn't want to. Could you build them a wee enclosure / run for supervised outside play. I expect birdies are on high alert now as nesting season approaches

It is a predicament! I’m afraid I couldn’t risk letting mine out in the garden, too many birds of prey around, plus it’s not bunny escape proof. A run would be a good idea, as J&B said.

Even our garden, with its lack of neighbours (just one house and the rest industrial units), still gets cats often enough that we can't let ours out totally unsupervised. Plus magpies are a worry, as we get loads: they've never gone for ours here (they will try anything on, they're opportunists) but they used to have a go at Nethie Charlie when he was asleep in his run. He kicked one pretty hard in the face, through the mesh, and they never bothered him again... I've got a run for them to use 24/7 but haven't fully meshed it yet :S

I've recently purchased on of the Omlet runs which you can add panels too. Expensive but good for keeping predators out in the short term. I live in the country so there are loads of predators around, the furries are in the enclosure on the days the weather allows and only when I'm at home. When I'm going out and at night time, they all are tucked up safe and sound in the utility room. I know what it's like having so many predators around and can empathise with your current problem.

Perhaps if and when finances allow?

Back