• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Change of Dynamic

Beapig

Mama Doe
Since Plumpkin passed away, almost a month ago, the dynamic between Hamilton and Beatrice is totally skewed. Hamilton only seems interested in humping Beatrice, which he hardly used to do when Plumpkin was around, and he's chasing her everywhere and driving her crazy. They don't sleep next to each other and she avoids him at all costs.

What's more, Beatrice still seems depressed that Plumpkin is no longer there to snuggle with her :( She mopes around a lot, which is really sad. Do you think things will go back to 'normal' when Jellybean makes them a trio again?

Hi Beapig - An interesting one. In my opinion, what you are witnessing is grieving rabbits. All you want to do is to talk to them and explain why thir friend had to leave them and assure them they are going to be ok. But unfortunately Bea and ham will have to resolve the problem in their own instinctive way. They will both have feelings and have to deal with the loss as you are. Ham is reacting in a dominant way and Bea is missing the comfort and suport that Plumpkin gave. She is hurting and she has no way to offload that grief. So you are right - the dynamics have altered - temporarily.
Rabbits (and pets) do and will move on. Like us, they can and they also probably hold the dear memories of those they spent their time with. They have the capacity to memories and learn and so they create memories and they have feelings and emotions.
Jellybean should provide a balance once again, once they are bonded, although Jellybean probably has a different personality and therefore the dynamics might be altered slightly when they are a trio. She may be a little less laid back, she may be a peacekeeper. It's really inside Jellybean and you'll see changes once they are settled - of that I am sure.
Sending you hugs - I know the memory of Plumpkin is still fresh - it always will feel that way. I was thinking of her just today.
Sending you hugs and hope the bonding process brings harmony again to your beautiful rabbits. x

I don't think you can predict how things will be after you've bonded Jellybean to Hamilton and Beatrice. I think it's likely that the dynamics will change, but that they could be different to how the trio was with Plumpkin. Hopefully Beatrice will accept Jellybean as a new friend and be content once more. It must be so sad to watch her grieve atm.

Back