• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

There's something seriously wrong with Benji....He's gone.

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Taken to the vets this morning as not interested in food and hiding away.

Ultrasound has shown a very enlarged liver and he has free fluid in his abdomen.

His dewlap is also solid and abnormal, but it isn't an abscess, whether that's connected or not, not sure. Vets unsure about this but tapping into the knowledge of others.

Vets are seriously concerned about him and I'm thinking the worst. He's only 5 years old, and astonishingly now my longest established lop having been here 4.5 years and all the older ones were picked off but fate in the last year.

Last edited:
Oh gosh I hope they can figure out what is going on with him :( sending lots of vibes xx

Oh, BB, I'm sorry to hear Benji is so poorly. Healing vibes coming his way with all due speed and (((((Huge hugs))))) for you. xxxxx

I'm really sorry to read this. Sending him loads of vibes and I hope the vet can soon establish what the problem is and treat it.

I am sending you and your bunny many positive vibes. It can be very frustrating to not know exactly what is going on.

Taken to the vets this morning as not interested in food and hiding away.

Ultrasound has shown a very enlarged liver and he has free fluid in his abdomen.

His dewlap is also solid and abnormal, but it isn't an abscess, whether that's connected or not, not sure. Vets unsure about this but tapping into the knowledge of others.

Vets are seriously concerned about him and I'm thinking the worst. He's only 5 years old, and astonishingly now my longest established lop having been here 4.5 years and all the older ones were picked off but fate in the last year.

Oh no,I am so sorry for my late reply but I have only just seen this :cry: I really hope that Benji can pull through xx

Thanks everybody.

Benji's bloods have come back with some liver markers (can't tell you what I was told as my head isn't in a good place) but also high white cell count. His liver still feels weird and he is "not right" so he's having another scan today and I've been told to stay by my phone in case they ring. Depending on the scan then surgery/exploratory surgery could be on the cards. He just looked so withdrawn yesterday morning, I know this is extremely serious.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this update. Am sending a million vibes that vets can help Benji, thinking of you both xxx

Back