• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I cut down on my Rabbit Waste? - U?Date 08.04

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I fill approx. 40 black bags every week, about 12 are taken away by someone I know who has a licence, the rest I take to the tip. The problem is there are about 8 steps up to the skip and I can only manage about 4 trips up them carrying 1 bag at a time. The men have always helped me but last week one of them was a bit off with me so I rang the firm to find out the situation. The men are not there to help you put your bags in the skip as if something were to happen,I assume an accident, they are not insured. This means I have a problem. I use newspaper with hay on top and I have 37 litter trays. Be back.

Last edited:
Is there an allotment site nearby? It makes great compost and someone may be grateful for it, especially if you can deliver it. They may provide you with your 'own' compost compound in a communal area if there is a group running the site - you will need to arrange access or get them to give you a key. Our site gets bulk deliveries of horse manure and wood chip randomly left for anyone to use - I suspect it is mainly from small contractors who don't want to pay for disposal, but it is worth its weight in gold to us.

I fill approx. 40 black bags every week, about 12 are taken away by someone I know who has a licence, the rest I take to the tip. The problem is there are about 8 steps up to the skip and I can only manage about 4 trips up them carrying 1 bag at a time. The men have always helped me but last week one of them was a bit off with me so I rang the firm to find out the situation. The men are not there to help you put your bags in the skip as if something were to happen,I assume an accident, they are not insured. This means I have a problem. I use newspaper with hay on top and I have 37 litter trays. Be back.
I mean obviously I'm not at that scale.. But we used to fill a lot now we put it in the green bin, which gets collected and made into compost, or if I have too much I take it to the tip, do you have green bins where you are? You can have more than one per house. Tough though with that many rabbits!

Where I am you're supposed to be able to put pet bedding, waste and litter in black bags and they get collected, but the guys always think it's garden waste and refuse to take it.. And I was getting sick of calling up every week, so we just use the greenbins mainly now [emoji849]

Even with only three buns and three piggies I have too much waste for the bin collection as they only come fortnightly here. I have to go to the tip but it can be a nightmare when it is busy and there are queues, especially if I am on my way to work.

I have heard that bunny waste is good for compost but not sure if I would have to separate the newspaper from the hay and mess - I use newspapers with hay on the top too.

Do you have a local magazine you could put something in to find out if anyone locally would like it?

Do you have a local magazine you could put something in to find out if anyone locally would like it?
If you've got Freecycle where you are you could put in an Offer for someone to come and collect for composting. problem is, newspaper takes some time to compost and they might not take a lot of it or take loads and then none for 6m-a year.

My newspaper/pellets/small amount of hay solution is no good either, as even with 2.5 litter trays I fill a small white bag every week minimum, which would be a bin liner every 2-3 weeks.

I saw somewhere recently that you can get almost an industrial size waste bin and have it collected as often as required. I can’t remember where I saw it but I do remember thinking it wasn’t massively expensive for the convenience. I think next winter I will look at getting one, I don’t mind going to the tip during the summer as I only have 9 litter trays a day, but during winter the bedding fills so many bags. Might be worth googling something like this?

How big are your litter trays? Reducing the size even a little bit would make a big difference

Do you separate the waste out? If you pull the hay out, that can be burnt as a last resort. The dust and poo left can go on a compost heap along with vegetable offcuts.
Hay can also be compacted using a trash compactor and you will fit more of it in the bags.

Thanks for your replies. I do have a lot of 32 L underbed storage boxes which I know they like but I might have to go to smaller litter trays. I could also use shavings which I don't want to do as it is the newspaper which takes up the room in the black bags. I wouldn't burn anything as there are too many neighbours around and it isn't good for the rabbits or me. We have an allotment just down the path from me, maybe I could ask there . I wouldn't be able to take it there though as it's on a path not too near a road.

I can't really add anything in the way of solutions. Just to say with 12 buns we generate lots of waste. I usually wait till ive got around 10 bags and then do a tip run.

Luckily its only just down the road and I have a run around car that i dont mind getting messy. It's a constant battle though and often the guys will want to look inside, I keep expecting to get in trouble or something for generating so much! x

I mean obviously I'm not at that scale.. But we used to fill a lot now we put it in the green bin, which gets collected and made into compost, or if I have too much I take it to the tip, do you have green bins where you are? You can have more than one per house. Tough though with that many rabbits!

Where I am you're supposed to be able to put pet bedding, waste and litter in black bags and they get collected, but the guys always think it's garden waste and refuse to take it.. And I was getting sick of calling up every week, so we just use the greenbins mainly now [emoji849]

I do just want to point out that you need to check with your local council if they'd accept it as every single council is different. some will accept it and some wont, some places get free garden waste bins others of us have to pay £70 a year for a standard size and I think £100 for a larger size, perhaps even more.

for me, our council won't accept it. they told us no, even though its only wood pellet cat litter, bunny poop and hay. it could be made into compost and make good compost!! so instead it has to go to landfill which I find a waste :( no allotments nearby me unfortunately either.

I'm lucky that my mom drives & my boyfriend can lift heavy things, we wait until we have 10 bags and then go.

I do just want to point out that you need to check with your local council if they'd accept it as every single council is different. some will accept it and some wont, some places get free garden waste bins others of us have to pay £70 a year for a standard size and I think £100 for a larger size, perhaps even more.

for me, our council won't accept it. they told us no, even though its only wood pellet cat litter, bunny poop and hay. it could be made into compost and make good compost!! so instead it has to go to landfill which I find a waste :( no allotments nearby me unfortunately either.

I'm lucky that my mom drives & my boyfriend can lift heavy things, we wait until we have 10 bags and then go.
Yeaaa we have to pay for garden waste bins here, tbh if it looks like garden waste, ours does as it's just a load of hay tbh.. So it isn't an issue here :)

We have to put ours in General as well, I think they should have a separate skip for pet waste.

Our council won't take any sort of animal waste in with the garden/food waste that they make into compost. They did for a short while many years back (I'd emailed them to ask if it was ok) and then all of a sudden refused to take it one time.

Someone once explained that it depends on how they process it so some will take it, some won't.

Our council won't take any sort of animal waste in with the garden/food waste that they make into compost. They did for a short while many years back (I'd emailed them to ask if it was ok) and then all of a sudden refused to take it one time.

Someone once explained that it depends on how they process it so some will take it, some won't.

Yes, exactly the same in my part of Essex. So annoying. We've had to switch to having the piggies on fully washable stuff as a result.

Yes, exactly the same in my part of Essex. So annoying. We've had to switch to having the piggies on fully washable stuff as a result.

Ah that's interesting! My part allows it, but then idk if we really count as proper Essex, as we are a London borough. Idk why everywhere has to vary so much, I mean some places you can recycle glass with your normal recycling, whereas here we have to take them to a bottle bank :lol: I feel like it should all be standard. We have a certain bag here for recycling, some places have a box.. others a wheelie bin.. it's all just too complicated for me :lol:

Ah that's interesting! My part allows it, but then idk if we really count as proper Essex, as we are a London borough. Idk why everywhere has to vary so much, I mean some places you can recycle glass with your normal recycling, whereas here we have to take them to a bottle bank :lol: I feel like it should all be standard. We have a certain bag here for recycling, some places have a box.. others a wheelie bin.. it's all just too complicated for me :lol:

Yeah, I shouldn't complain too much about the pet waste, as we do at least get to plonk everything together in recycling bags and send, and there are no limits to that. If we had to fill up a bin with our recycling, we'd fill it in a couple of days!

I have a big yard so can just dump it and compost it.

Filling loads of plastic bags seems like such a waste but I appreciate that some places have dumb trash/recycling rules. :(

Maybe you could fill up a large bin and take it somewhere to dump? Or someone could come collect it. It's excellent compost for those with enough space.

I have a big yard so can just dump it and compost it.

Filling loads of plastic bags seems like such a waste but I appreciate that some places have dumb trash/recycling rules. :(

Maybe you could fill up a large bin and take it somewhere to dump? Or someone could come collect it. It's excellent compost for those with enough space.

Can't dump it as that would be fly-tipping and if the man who takes some of my bags took all he usually charges £1.00 per bag.

Frustrating, isn't it! I understand that they don't want cat and dog poo in it [emoji23][emoji23] but small animal waste..... when they refused to take it, if left me with a fortnight's worth of waste to get rid of elsewhere.

We have 3 wheelie bins now (blue for mixed recycling, brown for garden/food waste and green for non-recyclables)

I compost some but the newspaper and wood pellets used for the cats, and the paper bedding I burn on the wood burner - the rest I put in the bin. I am lucky to leave near allotments and gardeners will take the wet hay from me.

Back