• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Destructive bunny tips!!

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Bigwig (spayed, 8 month old) is now bonded with Jake and Jasmine who are coming up to 5 and very laid back. She is very destructive, they have their own large room where she has chewed through the lino and the carpet it was supposed to be protecting! She also digs at and tries to chew the door. They have tunnels, toys, treat toys, various hay racks and I make things out of cardboard tubes to try keep her occupied. Any other tips on enrichment for destrobuns to try?

Naughty Bigwig! I’d suggest apple sticks, willow sticks, willow balls, digging boxes, those treat ball things for feeding pellets in.

Thank you for the suggestions! She was hand reared and has always been the 'boldest' and an escape artist/trying to get into trouble!! She's never really had the opportunity to be destructive as was kept on solid flooring in a pen/crate set up before, although she would chew the bars of her crate.

Yeah, I've had indoor buns that are good as gold and some hell bent on destruction!

I'm always trying to find ways to protect areas they start showing an interest in, usually with single carpet tiles or pieces of cage (we have 2 panels either side of the door as we have a door chewer too).

Toys wise, ours love the carrot cottages, hay covered tunnels and chew mats or just cardboard boxes x

Make food more interesting: hang it up, spread it out, hide it (in something less destructive, or at least so it's easier to shake out than chew out!). I'm very lucky with mine but they still have to work for all their forage :thumb:

Thank you for all the suggestions! I've been trying lots of things to keep Bigwig occupied but she's intent on destroying everything! She's chewed a huge chunk out of the lino right in the centre of the room and chewed through the carpet and the underlay so there is just a big bare circle!! This is in our rented house, the lino was put down to protect the carpet :oops: :lol: I'm just worried about her ingesting something/getting hurt, as she's now also taken to jumping from the floor and lands straight on top of their crate which is used as a base, it's the biggest dog crate you can buy so quite high up!! She also jumps at people and tries to climb them, I'm 5 foot 4 and she regularly jumps from the floor and reaches my chest were she'll dig her claws in and try to cling on, if you bend down the slightest bit she's straight on your back. Never seen anything like her :lol: We're going to get rid of the crate as if she gets a leg caught or when she jumps off she's just landing on lino so could easily slip I'm terrified of her breaking a leg!!

Oh I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh, but she sounds such a character, jumping at your chest ! I don't think I can add anything to what's been suggested, but yes carrot cottages are good to destroy, if you don't mind a mess :lol:

Back