• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits bonding through mesh panels??

Lisa1981

Mama Doe
Or maybe even just sorting out some of the domanance side of things a bit?

My girls have been seperated since a couple of weeks befor ther spays so in total about 5 weeks now. We swap sides of the pen every 24hours so they still know the other is there and what they smell like and for the first 2 weeks they were still trying to obsessively get to each other then they totally ignored each other after the spay for a week. After that Beauty was nipping Harlequin through the mesh any time she got ignored. Now Harlequin will groom Beauty through the mesh ( holes are big enough for nose to be pushed through but not to get whole head through) when it’s demanded. This has been going on for about 4 days now as well as spending lots of time sitting next to each other.

I know rabbits aren’t the same with barrier removed but I would just like to know what people think.

Will be trying to rebond in a fortnight.

It’s very difficult to say what they will be like during attempting to rebond, but it all sounds positive so far :thumb: the fact that Harlequin is grooming Beauty is a really good sign :love:

Do you have a neutral space where neither bun has been for rebonding?

Harlequin did manage to do a Houdini on me the other day whilst I was cleaning them out and removed a panel I should have clipped in more securely as she bites and pulls when she wants in or out. They came face to face froze for a second the Harlequin ran away into the hall and flopped and Beauty stayed in the pen and sploofed both imediatly after the incident.

Yes. We will be using the bathroom. May start off in the carrier at first after cleaning it with vinigar and water if my nerves are up for a quick bond. If not we may have play dates for a while. I think I will see how it goes initially and then make the desigon.

Harlequin did manage to do a Houdini on me the other day whilst I was cleaning them out and removed a panel I should have clipped in more securely as she bites and pulls when she wants in or out. They came face to face froze for a second the Harlequin ran away into the hall and flopped and Beauty stayed in the pen and sploofed both imediatly after the incident.

Yes. We will be using the bathroom. May start off in the carrier at first after cleaning it with vinigar and water if my nerves are up for a quick bond. If not we may have play dates for a while. I think I will see how it goes initially and then make the desigon.

Bunnies are so good at testing things out :lol: they are just so clever :thumb:
Ah, it’s good you have a neutral space, it’s tricky when they are housebunnies! Do you have some spare pen panels for adjusting space in the bathroom? I think as you say, it’s best to see how things go and take it from there, although I prefer bonding and sticking to keeping them together, I’ve not done play dates, as I feel you are stop/starting again and although it’s hard on the nerves, sticking with it if it’s going well is always my plan of action.

That they definantly are :lol:

I don’t have any right now but will get some. I was thinking that they have behaved being taken to the vets in the carrier since being seperated so it was a posative space to start with. As for nerves mine are shot with the almost constant stasis bouts between the two along with lack of sleep so if it goes bad I don’t think I could keep up a fast bond. I’m possibly thinking of not sectioning off a part of the bathroom if the carrier goes well. The bathroom isn’t that big any way. I’m a big girl and want to be able to sit in with them initially and be able to get to them quickly if things go wrong.

I’m the most novicey novice when it comes to these things but our two boys are always happily chilling with each other through their barrier, but have tried to kill each other when we’ve actually put them in one (neutral) space together! We’re on the waiting list for professional help, as we’re fairly clueless, but just my (very limited) experience xx

Or maybe even just sorting out some of the domanance side of things a bit?

My girls have been seperated since a couple of weeks befor ther spays so in total about 5 weeks now. We swap sides of the pen every 24hours so they still know the other is there and what they smell like and for the first 2 weeks they were still trying to obsessively get to each other then they totally ignored each other after the spay for a week. After that Beauty was nipping Harlequin through the mesh any time she got ignored. Now Harlequin will groom Beauty through the mesh ( holes are big enough for nose to be pushed through but not to get whole head through) when it’s demanded. This has been going on for about 4 days now as well as spending lots of time sitting next to each other.

I know rabbits aren’t the same with barrier removed but I would just like to know what people think.

Will be trying to rebond in a fortnight.

You know it's really impossible to know until they are actually together?

I once had a little male foster rabbit, and one of my females kept nipping his nose through the pen bars whenever she saw him.
Later she fell head over heels in love with him :love:

I’m the most novicey novice when it comes to these things but our two boys are always happily chilling with each other through their barrier, but have tried to kill each other when we’ve actually put them in one (neutral) space together! We’re on the waiting list for professional help, as we’re fairly clueless, but just my (very limited) experience xx

Oh no I’m sorry to hear that. I hope you can get the help you need for your boys. These two were quiet easy the first time round but hormoans kicked in hard for one and I had to seperate. 2 weeks till we try again.

You know it's really impossible to know until they are actually together?

I once had a little male foster rabbit, and one of my females kept nipping his nose through the pen bars whenever she saw him.
Later she fell head over heels in love with him :love:

Sorry only just seen these MM. I thought it was. it’s probably my wishful thinking that they would almost sort it out befor I put them together again.

Sounds like it was true love :love: I’m glad it didn’t drive him away.

We’re going through cycles.
1. Beauty nipping Harlequin through the mesh.
2. Harlequine grooming beauty every time it was demanded.
3. Today Harlequine demanded Beauty groom her through the bars ( first time ever this has been done that I have seen) and beauty jerked back away from Harlequin. If she was human I would have called it shock with the way she was looking at Harlequine and the way she jerked back but then I’m probably reading to much into it.

Back