• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Susan Syringe Saga

Hi,

I am struggling to get medication into Susan. When she was at the vets on Monday it was decided that she had very little sight. If you touch her whiskers she reacts really badly. She has only been a pet bunny since December 2018 and everything is very new to her. I am struggling to get a syringe into her mouth - any tips would be most welcome please?

Hi,

I am struggling to get medication into Susan. When she was at the vets on Monday it was decided that she had very little sight. If you touch her whiskers she reacts really badly. She has only been a pet bunny since December 2018 and everything is very new to her. I am struggling to get a syringe into her mouth - any tips would be most welcome please?
Oh no :(

Are you putting her in a bunny burrito? With a towel? That's my only suggestion really then slip it in the side of the mouth.. But I assume you're already doing this :( it's so difficult isn't it x

Oh no :(

Are you putting her in a bunny burrito? With a towel? That's my only suggestion really then slip it in the side of the mouth.. But I assume you're already doing this :( it's so difficult isn't it x

No I am not doing this, as I give Dilly his meds just tucked between my knees ( I can not keep him in my arms and medicate him) I thought I could do the same with Susan. The bunny burrito - do you tuck all legs and head into a towel please? thank you for getting back to me.

I concur with the bunny burrito. This is how we got meds into a reluctant Henry recently. Preparation is key (as I discovered).
First, get your meds all set up and have a few tasty treats to hand for afterwards (very important). Be warned, they learn quickly.
Get a good sized thick towel to hand - preferably where you are going to sit. It needs to be long enough to be able to cover/wrap Susan from top to tail. Place towel across your knees and then take Susan and place her probably nose pointing to you, tail away. You may only get a few shots at this.
Then wrap one end over Susan, and then take the other end and do the same so her head is poking out and her tail end ideally wrapped up. Important that all 4 paws are sort of enclosed - these are the scratchy bits.
Then you need to act fast and a second pair of hands is useful. Pick up the burrito and get the syringe and aim it for the corner of her mouth. It should be gently eased in and then squirt. This usually results in resistance so the towel is useful.
Once you have delivered the contents of the syringe (usually half over what you are wearing), then follow up with a treat and lots of praise and strokes and love. Then relax and Susan will then go and clean herself off.
You'll get a couple of sessions in like this, then she'll twig and you'll have a bit more of a battle.
I hope Susan feels better soon - sending vibes for Susan and hugs to you - I know how hard this is. x

No I am not doing this, as I give Dilly his meds just tucked between my knees ( I can not keep him in my arms and medicate him) I thought I could do the same with Susan. The bunny burrito - do you tuck all legs and head into a towel please? thank you for getting back to me.
Ah okay! Yea basically wrap them in a towel so nothing but their head is sticking out and then put them between the knees like you do already, kinda makes them unable to do a lot [emoji38] gets it over and done with very quickly, we use a hand towel for ours as you don't want too much towel to deal with :) I think there's videos on YouTube showing this, but it's very easy and I don't know any off hand that are good, you could search though :) or I can wrap one of mine and send a picture if you want [emoji38]

I concur with the bunny burrito. This is how we got meds into a reluctant Henry recently. Preparation is key (as I discovered).
First, get your meds all set up and have a few tasty treats to hand for afterwards (very important). Be warned, they learn quickly.
Get a good sized thick towel to hand - preferably where you are going to sit. It needs to be long enough to be able to cover/wrap Susan from top to tail. Place towel across your knees and then take Susan and place her probably nose pointing to you, tail away. You may only get a few shots at this.
Then wrap one end over Susan, and then take the other end and do the same so her head is poking out and her tail end ideally wrapped up. Important that all 4 paws are sort of enclosed - these are the scratchy bits.
Then you need to act fast and a second pair of hands is useful. Pick up the burrito and get the syringe and aim it for the corner of her mouth. It should be gently eased in and then squirt. This usually results in resistance so the towel is useful.
Once you have delivered the contents of the syringe (usually half over what you are wearing), then follow up with a treat and lots of praise and strokes and love. Then relax and Susan will then go and clean herself off.
You'll get a couple of sessions in like this, then she'll twig and you'll have a bit more of a battle.
I hope Susan feels better soon - sending vibes for Susan and hugs to you - I know how hard this is. x
Ooo this isn't how I burrito! I think anyway that gets them wrapped though works so nada but their head is stuck out [emoji38]

I have to admit I have never been successful with a bunny burrito :oops: I have tried with different rabbits and have found that they have all been so scared at being wrapped up that they have panicked. I have actually had more success letting them think that they are free, but in fact restricting them on the floor in between my legs as I kneel down with their head facing away and then slipping the syringe in at the side.

I would suggest that you give it a try with Susan with the burrito. Another plan would be that you hide the medication in a food that you know she won't refuse. I have used mashed banana for this, which for me has worked because they never usually have fruit of any sort and so it is a real treat.

It is difficult too as Susan, as you say, has little sight and so will be more nervous. She's also not a small rabbit.

I hope that you manage to find a way to get it into her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2PS0rWwXD4

I've always found the burrito technique stressful and complicated. But tucked between my knees never worked out with my most anxious rabbits either. My technique is kneeling on the floor, letting the rabbit rest his back paws on my knees while I hold his front with my left hand so they are kinda upright (I immobilise their front paws between my fingers and prevent them from moving their head away with that hand ).I keep their body completely pressed against my belly so they can't wriggle free (generally, kinda turned on the right side). Then, I just have to slid the syringe in their mouth from the side with my right hand. It always worked like a charm for me and I've had rabbits who hated being handled.
I wish I would explain it better. I don't know if you really see what I mean ^^'.

Another vote for bunny burrito. Luckily Phillip takes his meds willingly now but initially burritoing was the only way. Just be careful to hold her upright so she doesn't choke on the meds.

The other thing I have done is got a small plate, lined it with romaine lettuce or spring greens, then a covering of herbs/banana, then a bit of dry food. Squirt the medicine over the dry food, then any that drips off goes onto the food below and all being well they eat the whole lot!

Burrito tip - after a few goes, if she runs away when she sees the towel coming like Phillip now does, then just gently drop/place the towel over her, quickly scoop her up and tuck the towel round once picked up, if that makes sense :lol:

Another vote for bunny burrito. Luckily Phillip takes his meds willingly now but initially burritoing was the only way. Just be careful to hold her upright so she doesn't choke on the meds.

The other thing I have done is got a small plate, lined it with romaine lettuce or spring greens, then a covering of herbs/banana, then a bit of dry food. Squirt the medicine over the dry food, then any that drips off goes onto the food below and all being well they eat the whole lot!

Burrito tip - after a few goes, if she runs away when she sees the towel coming like Phillip now does, then just gently drop/place the towel over her, quickly scoop her up and tuck the towel round once picked up, if that makes sense [emoji38]
I keep them with all four paws on the floor just wrapped up, and do a little bit of the syringe at a time :)

I keep them with all four paws on the floor just wrapped up, and do a little bit of the syringe at a time :)

That sounds like much less work than picking up! Unfortunately Phillip is so strong if he is on the floor, even in a towel, he escapes!! I put them on my breakfast bar so they are almost positioned sitting up so they can't choke, then do a little bit of the syringe at a time :)

Can I ask what meds it is? Because if it’s lapizole I have a good trick that means I treated all my three and only Grace is handleable.

I bet your relieved Dillion finally has a result now bless him.
I hope you are doing ok x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask what meds it is? Because if it’s lapizole I have a good trick that means I treated all my three and only Grace is handleable.

I bet your relieved Dillion finally has a result now bless him.
I hope you are doing ok x

Is that panacur? My mum used to put the paste between two spinach leaves for Atticus [emoji38][emoji38] we use the dog liquid version now tho if we use it so can't do that

Is that panacur? My mum used to put the paste between two spinach leaves for Atticus [emoji38][emoji38] we use the dog liquid version now tho if we use it so can't do that

No lapizole is a liquid one that you syringe from a bottle. Smells like aniseed :-/
Foes the same job as panacur though, a wormer and treats E.C

Ahhhh! What's your trick with it? :D

Because it tastes nice (more if your a bunny I think, I can’t stand the liquorice smell or taste lol!), I get the dose and very slowly blob carefully along their pellets, in a bowl. Only a few, then layer more pellets on top and those I turn after I dribble a line down them so more is absorbed. It takes a good few minutes to absorb and dribble, especially Luther he was 2.5ml!

But worth it to not stress anyone out.

They are on science select, I assume other pellets would be just as absorbent :)

Another trick I saw online with other meds someone was giving, they had a stick of celery and slid the syringe down it so it could go into the mouth while chomping! Clever, but beyond my capabilities lol.

I like the celery trick. For panacur, I use dried cranberries and blob it into the middle of one and then squash another on top. Hillian go absolutley nuts for dried cranberries.

Wow thank you, the last few days have been a stressful so will try the different tricks list here. Susan is on Panacur for EC. I like the idea of four paws on the ground yet tucked safely in a towel.

Thank you all for your replies I will let you know how we get on!

I like the celery trick. For panacur, I use dried cranberries and blob it into the middle of one and then squash another on top. Hillian go absolutley nuts for dried cranberries.

I tried that with raisins, with a medication for Truffle......he knew straight away and from then on he refused any fruit even banana because I tried it in mashed banana too!! Then he also refused to eat dinner if I put it down....Sam had to then he’d eat. What a diva he was! Lol

Back