• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

She pulled all her stitches out !!!!!

bunnymad

Warren Scout
yip, Took bugzee back to the vets the next day for more pain meds and we noticed she had taken out ALL her stitches :shock: :!: :shock:

So they glued her back together and put like a netting on her and cut leg holes :lol: Sadly my phone was flat so I didn`t get pics but she looked like a chook ready for the oven :shock: :!: :D :lol:

She ended up eating that and getting it stuck in her teeth so we cut a plastic container to fit over her head :!: :D Just like when you see dogs with buckets on their heads :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bugzeesheadgear.jpg

Will have to see how they are tomorrow to see if she has to go back :!:

bronie

bunnymad said:
yip, Took bugzee back to the vets the next day for more pain meds and we noticed she had taken out ALL her stitches :shock: :!: :shock:

So they glued her back together and put like a netting on her and cut leg holes :lol: Sadly my phone was flat so I didn`t get pics but she looked like a chook ready for the oven :shock: :!: :D :lol:

She ended up eating that and getting it stuck in her teeth so we cut a plastic container to fit over her head :!: :D Just like when you see dogs with buckets on their heads :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bugzeesheadgear.jpg

bronie

Hi Bronie

Glad to hear Bugzee is OK but that must have been scary!! Mind you..your description does make me laugh!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know you rescued Bugzee when she was teeny and it is great that you reared her so successfully.

Let us know how "the Chook" gets on

Bronie...I had a wild bunny living in my garden for some years and "he" had no ears at all!! We called her Mr No Ears until babies appeared and we realised it was a "she" We were really fond of her and I have hundreds of photos somewhere and will try to find them to show you. She disappeared ond day and we looked for ages but never saw her again. Then we saw a teeny baby with funny looking ears and consoled ourselves that this was one of her babies. I was so interested to see your "nibbled ears"

bunnymad said:

bugzeesheadgear.jpg

bronie

Oh dear! naughty Bugzee!!
They do like to worry us don't they!
Hope she's ok.

AAww, poor Bugzee

The tapestry lessons have worked out well :D its just a shame no-one teaches these naughty buns to darn instead of how to un-pick stitches :roll: :lol: (bad joke)

I wonder why vets dont just opt for the glue in the first place or do stitches heal quicker :?:

Hope Bugzee makes a speady recovery :D :D

Miffy and the new girls both had inside stiches so theres nothing for them to chew on much better idea!

she got fixed so no babies :oops: Now she has taken off that container off from around her neck :!: :!: :!: While I was asleep the little darling she is :!: :shock:

I have no idea why he used desolving stitches on her. Maybe bunny skin is so tender he thought it best.

How do you stop a bun from getting at her stitches :?: :?: :?:

I can see one little hole in her stitch line so it looks like I`m back of to the vets again . She does have 3 lots of stitches, shes only getting to the lot holding her skin together the little ratbag :!: :!:

I also had Sparkee fixed so he could no longer be a dad like I did with Shadow earlier this year.

Marlene, Shadow (boy) was the bun I found wondering the street and after about 6 weeks of him getting skinner and skinner I went and rescued him :D Hes such a darling and doesn`t get into any trouble at all :D Not like Bugzee and Sparkee :!: Shadow is such a darling with no ears but some shows her will not let him enter the pet section due to his ears :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil:

worried bronie

Ask the vet about glueing the wound rather than stitches. Its much harder to chew.

They have special animal superglue for this sort of thing ;)

Tam

Hi there

Its the glue shes getting into :!: as there is a hole now but its not totally opened all the way along :!:

Shes a little darling which is worring me heaps at the moment :!: :!:

bronie

I don't understand why they don't all use glue. We've taken all our buns to the same vets, and yet some were glued and some were stitched. I guess different vets did the op and they all have their preferences, but glue is so much simpler and you don't have to worry about bunny nibbling out the stitches, or about getting the stitches removed. I would have thought glue would be better from an infection point of view as well as the wound site is completely closed from day one.

bunnymad said:
Its the glue shes getting into :!: as there is a hole now but its not totally opened all the way along :!:

We had that with one of our lops. Just the end opened up, maybe a half centimeter hole. It eventually healed fine, just took a little longer. I don't think she'd nibbled at it, just been a little too adventurous and tore it open. It didn't seem to hurt at all. We took her in every couple of days for a check up, but the wound was always clean and dry and just healed up by itself.

My bun Rosie (or nosey rosey and she's come to be known :lol: ) chewed all her stitches out after her spay! Fortunately she had staples in there as well so the wound stayed closed. Apparently, it takes 180 licks to fray the knot of each individual stitch (god knows how they worked that out!!) so there must have been some serious grooming going on!!!!

xxFlame7

:lol: tell me about it :!: :!: Shes a licker :!: :!: She is always grooming her boyfriends :lol:

Look for the thread "look at my new head gear" for a full uate and pics :wink:

bronie

Back