• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When is is safe to move a bunny from indoors to outdoors?

Beapig

Mama Doe
Apparently the last frost in my area should be the 2nd week of April. The weather is generally a lot milder now, so I assume from mid April onwards I would be okay to start bonding Jellybean with Ham & Bea? Interested to know if there are any guides for when it is safe to move an indoor rabbit outdoors.

I'm not sure whether there are guides on this. I would agree with your thinking though. I'm not sure how warm the room is where Jellybean is currently, but perhaps reduce the temperature there for a week before you move her outside.

I was told that there shouldn't be a temperature difference of 10c, but I can't find anything to back that up which is confusing as I swear I had something :? the 10c would be from your house temperature to the coldest point outside (like now its still getting down to 0c here at night), so although it might be 15 in the day which would be ok for them to go out, at night it would be a bit too cold.

These are good ideas, if I were you I think I would monitor the temperature outside and as Omi said, reduce the temperature in her room gradually the week before.

It's usually mid-April - May, but as you know, we can never be sure with our unpredictable weather.

I don't think there's been any sort of scientific study or anything but more of a general feeling of what sort of temperature variance they can cope with.

My two bunnies had to be indoors for a few months many years ago when Alfie broke his leg and, from memory, I think the temperature was stable enough to put them outside mid-April time. As already suggested, we'd also left the window open for a couple of weeks prior (brrrrr :lol:) to help them adjust a little. I did give them lots of boxes filled with hay, things to shelter in etc, plus a snugglesafe in case they needed some extra warmth but I think they snubbed it all. :roll::lol:

Thank you everyone, this is really sound advice. I think I might wait until the end of April, just to play it safe. I'm very excited to introduce her to my other two, though. Beatrice still seems lonely and I hope Jellybean will give her the female companionship that she needs <3

Back