• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Do You Cope With The Worry After Losing Rabbits?

zarathustra

Warren Scout
My wife and I have decided that the time is right to start looking for some new bunnies, so I've been emailing some local rescues to find out about arranging some visits etc.

We still have some work to do getting a new hutch, making sure everything in the garden has been cleaned and disinfected etc.

But, while I do want rabbits, and we will be much more prepared this time around part of me cant help worry about what if they get sick again, what if we don't look after them properly, what if we don't feed them properly, what if the vets make another mistake with their vaccinations etc.

I know that most of this is just my brain playing tricks on me, and that we did everything we could for Frank and Spencer with regular check ups, making sure they were fed correctly, giving them plenty of space to hop about etc etc.

Do these worries ever go away?

Hi, my first rabbit died after 6 months and had multiple health issues, and it was very, very, challenging. I know that you and your wife went through a really difficult time with your two, and it’s good to hear that you’re thinking of getting some new rescue buns.

From experience things do get easier- I was constantly worrying about everything after our first bunny died, and it took us over a year to get our second bunny, as my partner was concerned something would happen.

I think it will get easier, but as I’m a worrier, I naturally worry! But not half as much as I used to. Rabbits are delicate creatures, but I’m sure you’ll do your very best to look after your new buns.

My first rabbit came from Pets at Home (adoption section). Unbeknown to me she had coccidiosis.I wasn't experienced enough to notice that something was wrong. She had a good appetite, a lovely playful nature and no problems with poops. She had also been to the vets for a health check and declared a fit and healthy rabbit a few days after I brought her home. It came as a great shock to find her in distress one evening 6 weeks later when I went to change her hay, I took her to the vet immediately but she passed away on the way there.

I asked for a Post Mortem which is when I found out she'd had coccidiosis. As it's highly contagious I went back to PAH to advise them. They apologised and paid all of the vet bills, including the PM and promised to check on their rabbits in store and to carry out a thorough disinfect.

It took a whole year before I plucked up the courage to have more rabbits. I was worried that something bad would happen, that I wouldn't notice signs of something wrong. However during that year I discovered this forum. I spent time learning more about rabbits and had a better understanding from my short time with my first bun about the practical side of rabbit caring. So when a pair became available at the RSPCA for adoption I took the plunge and went for it and I'm so glad I did. The RSPCA were great and will always be there if I need support or advice. I also made sure I found a good, rabbit-savvy vet. This has helped provide me with reassurance that I never had with the previous vet (3 x vet visits in total and they never spotted anything).

Anyway, long story short, I was worried too, but it's all been okay. In fact it's been wonderful. I have two fantastic rabbits who have taught me a lot. One has gut stasis on a fairly regular basis but I've been able to look out for him, get him help and his condition is now manageable. He has turned out to be the friendliest, polite little fellow. I take him to the vets, gets given meds (which he hates) but never holds it against me.

I like to think that although what happened with my first bun was tragic she led me to the pair I have now. I learnt a lot from what happened with her and it's made me into a better rabbit carer as a result.

I'm glad you're able to contemplate having more rabbits. Have courage and follow your heart x

I think it gets easier, we’ve had lots of bunnies throughout my life and my worst loss to handle was our first house bunny, Boots. Because we were so close to him and it was a shock when he died, it was very hard. And in fact I said I wouldn’t have any more because it was so hard. But then we couldn’t bear not having any bun around the house and got Frosty. At first, I have to admit I was so scared of losing him, even though he is fit and healthy, I was nervous. But I’ve got used to it and I no longer worry about him, or Fern, his new bunny wife, and I can just enjoy their company :love:

For me, the worries never go away. It's not that I don't want them to, but they're more like a scar - and the price that I pay, we all pay, for deeply caring for the pets we choose to rescue. The day we stop worrying is the day that we cease being vigilant, cease being caring. The worry focuses us more - in my opinion. When we lose a pet, we always ask the same questions of ourselves and if something goes wrong, or we feel it goes wrong, we have to look at that. We know, next time, that we must try that bit harder.
But I would say too, that out there, there are animals that can't ask for our help, but we must give it, freely, because without our intervention, we cannot make that difference. We cannot give that rabbit a forever home and fill it's life with freedom, care, love and support. They need us and for those of us who feel it, we need them because they make our lives feel more complete.

Having rabbits is really stressful. I worry three times more about the rabbits than about any animal I've ever had - raising my dog is a breeze in comparison. Rabbits can live long lives but when something is wrong, it's hard to notice and the window to act is often really narrow. It's also really hard to find a knowledgeable vet. Personally, I read... I've read the health sections of most forums about rabbits and almost all the websites and veterinary documents available about rabbits in French and in English. I observe them a lot and spend a lot of time scrutinizing their habits and litterboxes. You can't solve everything, but I've gotten better at spotting problems and I have a list of tests, diagnostics and meds ready when I go to the vet because I don't trust them enough to go there without having done some extensive research (I've had to treat for fleas this morning, courtesy of a new doe who was given to me by a shady breeder... I asked for the exact product I wanted because a lot of flea treatments are not safe for rabbits - the vet tech was actually really surprised to learn which one was the right product and began by telling me it wasn't, she only checked because I insisted). Admittedly, I'm a pretty anxious person and researching obsessively about an issue helps me calm down as well.
It's sad, but you learn a lot from every rabbit you lose. And even if they all eventually die, the death thing doesn't have to be horrible. Just do your best and love them lots while they are here. That's enough.

I think it's completely normal and understandable to feel this way, especially when you have experienced loss. We had a period of time where we lost some quite close together and you do question everything and whether you did things right or should have done them differently.

It was really tough, but I'm now able to focus on the time we had together and the way I was able to transform their lives for the time they were here. Obviously I'll always wish it was longer, but sadly it wasn't to be.

Outside of having rabbits too, I've had to learn to live in the now and try not to obsess about what might / could happen. Living in a constant state of anxiety is awful and it's taken a really long time to get control of it!

Lots of luck with finding some lucky buns to give a home to :) x

Thanks all.

We are going to see if we can visit one of the rescues this Sunday. It was one we looked at after losing Frank when we were looking into getting a friend for Spencer.

There is a pair that are still on their website from then and I think my wife has already made her choice, providing the bunnies are still available.

Thanks all.

We are going to see if we can visit one of the rescues this Sunday. It was one we looked at after losing Frank when we were looking into getting a friend for Spencer.

There is a pair that are still on their website from then and I think my wife has already made her choice, providing the bunnies are still available.

Good luck for the weekend, I hope it goes well for you and the lucky pair of bunnies:love:

Thanks, didn't even get past the first hurdle. Our run isn't big enough so we can't adopt from them

Oh dear :cry: did you get in touch and describe your setup? Some rescues might be more flexible if you have more than one run, or a shed instead of a hutch and run, as it’s the total space they will have that counts.

They want a run that is 6x8, ours is 4x8 so it is too small.

It will have a 6ft 2 level hutch attached when we get a new one, but they are apparently very strict on their requirements so if the run isn't big enough that's that.

They want a run that is 6x8, ours is 4x8 so it is too small.

It will have a 6ft 2 level hutch attached when we get a new one, but they are apparently very strict on their requirements so if the run isn't big enough that's that.

Try not to be disheartened, I'm sure a solution can be found. I think most rescues will want a run of around this size, at least, so how about joining your existing run to another with a runaround tunnel maybe, or just fixing them together and removing a section of the wire?

Like Zoobec said, I probably wouldn't bother with a hutch at all and have a shed or playhouse instead.

Good luck, don't give up x

Try not to be disheartened, I'm sure a solution can be found. I think most rescues will want a run of around this size, at least, so how about joining your existing run to another with a runaround tunnel maybe, or just fixing them together and removing a section of the wire?

Like Zoobec said, I probably wouldn't bother with a hutch at all and have a shed or playhouse instead.

Good luck, don't give up x

This is true, and those are some good ideas :thumb:

Thanks all.

I know why they have these requirements, and if we had the money and the space then I'd love to have a large setup of interconnected runs etc.

It is frustrating, that because the run is a couple of feet too narrow were struggling to adopt

But I wonder whether if we got a new hutch that had an integrated run whether that would help.

I have looked at sheds/playhouses but it's whether we will have the space, our garden isn't huge, and the long narrow shape of a traditional hutch suits it best

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks all.

I know why they have these requirements, and if we had the money and the space then I'd love to have a large setup of interconnected runs etc.

It is frustrating, that because the run is a couple of feet too narrow were struggling to adopt

But I wonder whether if we got a new hutch that had an integrated run whether that would help.

I have looked at sheds/playhouses but it's whether we will have the space, our garden isn't huge, and the long narrow shape of a traditional hutch suits it

Our very first hutch was one with a run underneath, which was a good starter home, but the run was only 6ftx4ft so it wasn't really big enough. We've since upgraded to a playhouse with a small tunnel leading to a 12ftx6ft run. It's worth mentioning that the run is to the side of the playhouse though, so it runs along the fence line to make the best use of the space.

I don't know if you've looked here https://homeandroost.co.uk/product-category/6ft-rabbit-hutches/ but they have some good options if it's a hutch / run you're after.

'Slightly controversially' most of our rabbits have been from gumtree (I say controversial because it's riskier potentially that the rescue route that many choose on here). But if you go into it with your eyes wide open then it is especially rewarding. Obviously it means you are responsible for vaccinations / neutering and have no back up if things go wrong.

What it has meant though, is that I've been able to rescue buns from very poor conditions and change their lives. Those that haven't been lucky enough to make it to a rescue and are likely to be passed on with their existing accommodation.

Obviously the rescues requirements are the minimum and I'm not saying that the rabbits shouldn't have that and ours do. But we've been able to constantly improve and extend things over time.

(I'll probably get flamed for saying so oops :oops:) x

Thanks, we are looking at other options to see what we can do to increase the square footage.

We need a hutch so that is one place we could make up for the 16 square feet we are missing by having a run that is 4x8 rather than 6x8.

A hutch that is 6x2 has a square footage of about 14.4 ft, so an integrated run combined with our existing run would only leave us 1.6 square feet under the minimum recommended.

We aren't in a huge rush, so we have time to improvise adapt and over come.

I need to do some measuring at the weekend so can look at whether a shed/playhouse might be a viable option

So one rescue has told us we can't break up the space, i.e. get the same square footage but split between our existing run and something else, like a hutch with integrated run.

My wife is considering giving up on the adoption route

So one rescue has told us we can't break up the space, i.e. get the same square footage but split between our existing run and something else, like a hutch with integrated run.

My wife is considering giving up on the adoption route

:( that is a bit silly. many people have the space split up between run around tunnels, in fact the RWAF has endorsed run around tunnels. there is no issue with having the space split up in rabbits, in the wild they would run through tunnels and chambers. I get that its better to have "undisturbed space" but its not that big of a deal if the connections provide huge areas.

I think I would look into a different rescue tbh with you.

I know how frustrating it is, when I wanted a bunny everything I did or had was "wrong". that was from the hutch and run (I was just slightly under the minimum square floor space), to the bedding I used, to me myself as I was only 13 at the time. its disheartening and makes you want to not even bother. I understand why they need to have these instructions in place, but sometimes the way the people carry the message across, or you're spoken too & treated just makes you feel awful. it leaves you with a sinking feeling and a lot of upset.

& I am willing to say this - there is also nothing wrong with getting a bunny from a breeder. 2/3 of mine have come directly from a breeder, mostly because I learned I am allergic to pet fur, and trying to find a 100% purebred rex in a shelter is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I've received plenty of nasty comments from people but at the end of the day it was my choice and I stand by that, and I don't believe theres anything wrong with it :) as long as you find a reputable breeder and not a BYB, its not a horrible idea. is rescue better? yea it is, but theres nothing wrong with not doing it either.

its not like you're trying to house them in a 3ft hutch with no access, and would forget about them in three months. its clear they'd have a wonderful life with you & you care deeply about them. if the rescue route is getting you down, then there's really nothing wrong with looking elsewhere.

there are also always people wanting homes for their bunnies, and I don't mean BYB - often theres people who are moving or can't cope with having a rabbit that is an extremely well loved pet. you could also go down that route and give a bun in need directly from somebody else a home :)

Back