• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!!! Baby Bunny Conjunctevitis!!!

Annie68

New Kit
Hello everybody, I have a question. I have three week old baby bunnies, that have what I think is conjunctivitis. I cannot get to the vet till next week, as there are no times available. Are there any home remedies that I can use, or is there anything I could do to soothe their symptoms? Please let me know as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Hello everybody, I have a question. I have three week old baby bunnies, that have what I think is conjunctivitis. I cannot get to the vet till next week, as there are no times available. Are there any home remedies that I can use, or is there anything I could do to soothe their symptoms? Please let me know as soon as possible.

As you know the Kit does need to be examined by a Vet. Kit may have sustained an injury to the eye which would need immediate treatment. Or it may be 'nest box eye'. If it really is totally impossible to get the kit to a Vet then these links, whilst are not in any way a substitute for Veterinary Care, may be helpful to read.

http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-breeding/eye-infections-in-baby-bunnies/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ConjunctivitisRabbit.htm

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I understand the predicament, and until you can get them to a vet, what I would suggest is getting a cotton ball and some cooled previously boiled water, and very gently wiping the eyes twice daily to get all the gunk off them.

The vet will most likely prescribe some antibiotic eye drops if the problem persists next week

Help!

Hello again, I checked with the vet, and they are still not available till the end of the week. I do not have any other vets that accept bunnies. Two of the kits have died, even though they were not lethargic, or had diarrhea. They seemed very energetic, and their eyes got much better, after I got the gunk off, and soothed their eyes with some warm water. Does anybody have experience with this? I don't want any more kits to die.

Hello again, I checked with the vet, and they are still not available till the end of the week. I do not have any other vets that accept bunnies. Two of the kits have died, even though they were not lethargic, or had diarrhea. They seemed very energetic, and their eyes got much better, after I got the gunk off, and soothed their eyes with some warm water. Does anybody have experience with this? I don't want any more kits to die.

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

You will find some useful info here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?327923-Accidental-Litters-and-Taking-on-Babies

Back