• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stupid Questions

1. Do rabbits have blood groups like humans?

2. Can rabbits be allergic to other animals eg like humans being sensitive to cats?

3 Does the length of whiskers on noses mean anything ie Susan has loads of long whiskers and Dilly short and few whiskers?

(guess who couldnt sleep last night and came up with these stupid questions) I would be grateful if anyone does know the answers though.

They're not stupid questions at all. And I wish I had answers for them for you.
1) - I believe that rabbits do have different blood types. I'm sure other far more wise people will follow and advise. But my understanding is that blood - and that applies to all creatures with blood, will have different blood groups due to evolution. Whether they are classed as A, B, O, AB or whatever, I can't say. I thought our blood types originated via the rhesus monkey so not sure what blood types bunnies would have.
2) - not sure. Logically perhaps not as their DNA will differ and evolution for them would be different. Their exposure to their world compared to ours is vastly smaller so they perhaps may not have developed allergic reactions to many of the things humans have?
3) - My understanding is that rabbits (cats also) use their whiskers as a measure to fit through gaps. Whiskers are (I believe) sensitive and animals with whiskers use them to determin if a gap is big enough for them to fit through. As whiskers are usually wider than the face, then an animal can safely place their head/face through the gap and if their whiskers can fit through, then the animal knows the rest of it can. Although in Lillians case, Henry has 'chopped' all of her whiskers so that they are very small.
Hope this helps and that you can get a good nights sleep tonight. x

They're not stupid questions at all. And I wish I had answers for them for you.
1) - I believe that rabbits do have different blood types. I'm sure other far more wise people will follow and advise. But my understanding is that blood - and that applies to all creatures with blood, will have different blood groups due to evolution. Whether they are classed as A, B, O, AB or whatever, I can't say. I thought our blood types originated via the rhesus monkey so not sure what blood types bunnies would have.
2) - not sure. Logically perhaps not as their DNA will differ and evolution for them would be different. Their exposure to their world compared to ours is vastly smaller so they perhaps may not have developed allergic reactions to many of the things humans have?
3) - My understanding is that rabbits (cats also) use their whiskers as a measure to fit through gaps. Whiskers are (I believe) sensitive and animals with whiskers use them to determin if a gap is big enough for them to fit through. As whiskers are usually wider than the face, then an animal can safely place their head/face through the gap and if their whiskers can fit through, then the animal knows the rest of it can. Although in Lillians case, Henry has 'chopped' all of her whiskers so that they are very small.
Hope this helps and that you can get a good nights sleep tonight. x

Thank you Craig, with regard to Henry chopping Lillian's whiskers I was sure that Dilly used to have longer and more whiskers!

Back