• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected EC

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
Rambo is experiencing hind leg paralysis. sometimes it's total dragging and sometimes she does a couple of hops.
I was wondering if anyone could help with treatment advice. My fab bunny vet has moved and the new one isn't brilliant so I'd like to get some extra thoughts from you wonderful people.

She's on panacur but should lola also be having a course at the same time so she doesn't pass the infection back? Also how important is the disinfecting? I can't rip up the carpet but I have no idea how to clean it. Could I lay some lino on top until the spores have died? Would putting them both on panacur for a longer period of time (say acouple of months) do the trick?
I've also requested some non-steroidal anti-inflammatory on the advice of someone I'm buying a bunny wheelchair from. Does that sound like a good idea?

ETA: she's doing so ridiculously well with it. Still pretty bright in herself and thismorning at the vet she groomed me for the first time ever, as if to tell me she hates all this but she doesn't hate me for it :love:

Rambo is experiencing hind leg paralysis. sometimes it's total dragging and sometimes she does a couple of hops.
I was wondering if anyone could help with treatment advice. My fab bunny vet has moved and the new one isn't brilliant so I'd like to get some extra thoughts from you wonderful people.

She's on panacur but should lola also be having a course at the same time so she doesn't pass the infection back? Also how important is the disinfecting? I can't rip up the carpet but I have no idea how to clean it. Could I lay some lino on top until the spores have died? Would putting them both on panacur for a longer period of time (say acouple of months) do the trick?
I've also requested some non-steroidal anti-inflammatory on the advice of someone I'm buying a bunny wheelchair from. Does that sound like a good idea?

ETA: she's doing so ridiculously well with it. Still pretty bright in herself and thismorning at the vet she groomed me for the first time ever, as if to tell me she hates all this but she doesn't hate me for it :love:

I am sorry to hear that Rambo may have EC. Has the Vet ruled out other possible causes for her symptoms ?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

These links may also be useful to read

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/e-cuniculi/

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

http://www.greendale.co.uk/cuniculi_disease.html

Re disinfecting the carpet, steam cleaning would be suitable.

Hi BattleKat

I am sorry to hear about Rambo.

There are several causes of hind leg paralysis, as you probably know, and some info on that here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Differentials/paresis.htm

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/e-cuniculi/

The anti-inflammatory is a very good idea. It minimises the chance of inflammatory response and spores of EC erupting in other organs, for example the kidneys and eyes.

You probably already know that bleaching the litter trays on days 21 and 28 of treatment with a 1% bleach will kill any spores. Both rabbits should definitely be treated. My vet has advocated a longer (and double dose) course of Panacur, but that is something to discuss with your vet.

Regards the idea of a wheelchair, this has been used before and quite successfully:

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/wheelchairs.html

The carpet - you could use a steam cleaner on that perhaps? You can hire one.

I don’t have any experience of this but I’m sending lots of vibes to Rambo xx

Thanks for the replies all, the support means a lot. She's very up and down.
Monday night she was dragging, Tuesday morning she managed 7 wobbly hops, a foot thump and a foot flick to let me know how very annoyed she was but then Wednesday she was mostly dragging both legs all day.
Last night she was pulling both legs right under her one at a time, using them to propel herself forwards and generally showing real improvement but then thismorning she's completely dragging her right and barely moving her left. She also seems to have lost bladder control which is a huge knock to my positivity.

Aisde from the physical symptoms she seems in generally good spirits. She whizzes around like a snake and seems pretty perky. She's eating hay. Whenever I put her down after physio she immediately turns to face me for a treat. It's important for me to remember that even as a healthy rabbit she'd spend hours lying under a chair without moving and it's not a sign she's giving up.

I'm going to start putting her propped up in a box tonight. I've been moving and massaging her legs for about 15 minutes before work, on lunch and in the evening so I thought I'd give her a chance to stretch her legs after then pop her in the box for half an hour if she seems ok with it.

Does anyone know what dose of loxicom she should be on? I can't remember offhand what she's been prescribed but I know it's different to last time which has concerned me. I so miss my old vet :cry:

Monday night she was dragging, Tuesday morning she managed 7 wobbly hops, a foot thump and a foot flick to let me know how very annoyed she was but then Wednesday she was mostly dragging both legs all day.
Last night she was pulling both legs right under her one at a time, using them to propel herself forwards and generally showing real improvement but then thismorning she's completely dragging her right and barely moving her left. She also seems to have lost bladder control which is a huge knock to my positivity.

Aisde from the physical symptoms she seems in generally good spirits. She whizzes around like a snake and seems pretty perky. She's eating hay. Whenever I put her down after physio she immediately turns to face me for a treat. It's important for me to remember that even as a healthy rabbit she'd spend hours lying under a chair without moving and it's not a sign she's giving up.

I'm going to start putting her propped up in a box tonight. I've been moving and massaging her legs for about 15 minutes before work, on lunch and in the evening so I thought I'd give her a chance to stretch her legs after then pop her in the box for half an hour if she seems ok with it.

Does anyone know what dose of loxicom she should be on? I can't remember offhand what she's been prescribed but I know it's different to last time which has concerned me. I so miss my old vet :cry:

Whilst I am not qualified to give advice re what dose of a POM to give
there is a dose reference range noted on here

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

If it is the DOG Loxicom (generic name 'Meloxicam') you have (ie 1.5mg/ml) then 0.1ml = 0.15mg

I am glad to hear that Rambo is in good spirits within herself, that will certainly act in her favour.

You are so welcome - I know what it's like struggling with this one.

I believe we are not allowed to give specific doses for prescription meds on the Forum?
However, if you still need help with this, PM me with your rabbit's weight and I will work out a dosage range from first principles for you.

I went in their room last night and she was sat so well!

nvuudf.jpg

dcpwer.jpg

This morning when I was stretching her legs she snatched the right one from me twice(!), but after that not even a hint of trembling or anything and when I put her down she snaked away barely moving her left leg and no movement at all in her right leg.

It's making the whole thing easier that Rambo loves anything out of a syringe, giving her meds is an absolute breeze. Lola, on the other hand, has to be tricked in to taking the panacur in new and exciting ways every day :lol:

The wheelchair was clearly not designed for a rabbit but it seems quite lightweight and changes direction easily so I've ordered a velcro harness, some strapping and some small buckles to try and modify it. I think if I can get her comfortable with a harness and then clip that on to the chair we should be good. I've also got some 5" elastic at home that I think I can make a waist sling out of so her back legs can dangle down and move freely while her middle is being picked up from the floor.

Last edited:
She is beautiful:love: she certainly looks bright and alert:thumb: topping up the vibes for her xx

I went in their room last night and she was sat so well!

nvuudf.jpg

dcpwer.jpg

This morning when I was stretching her legs she snatched the right one from me twice(!), but after that not even a hint of trembling or anything and when I put her down she snaked away barely moving her left leg and no movement at all in her right leg.

It's making the whole thing easier that Rambo loves anything out of a syringe, giving her meds is an absolute breeze. Lola, on the other hand, has to be tricked in to taking the panacur in new and exciting ways every day :lol:

The wheelchair was clearly not designed for a rabbit but it seems quite lightweight and changes direction easily so I've ordered a velcro harness, some strapping and some small buckles to try and modify it. I think if I can get her comfortable with a harness and then clip that on to the chair we should be good. I've also got some 5" elastic at home that I think I can make a waist sling out of so her back legs can dangle down and move freely while her middle is being picked up from the floor.

She looks beautiful :love:

I haven't seen her sat since but I swear there was a little reaction to some tickling in her left leg today.
Hope nobody minds if I keep bumping this thread, I'm trying to keep it as a journal for myself so I can look back at her progress.

She had her first bum bath before work. She clearly didn't enjoy it but took it quite well and she must be feeling better for it now that she's back to a fluffy bottomed girl.
I think she might actually be starting to enjoy the physiotherapy - today after I finished stretching her legs I put her on my lap/chest facing me to try and encourage her to put weight on her legs and give her a bit of a massage and she started grooming me. She is not a bun who shows affection so it was a real boost to how I'm feeling about the whole thing.

As an aside, Lola is doing surprisingly well without her sister's slightly oppressive nature. Now that she's not always hanging back behind Rambo she's become much more adventurous!

Last edited:
I’m glad that she is tolerating the care you are giving her so well, I’m topping up the vibes for her xx

I could be wrong but I think yesterday she stretched her left toes out. Other than that still no movement and that fantastic sitting up seems to have been a one off.

Although she's doing it in the tray, she's still peeing on herself because she can't get in a good position. I've ordered some puppy pads to try and draw it away from her as giving her a basic clean and making sure she's dry afterwards has added another 20-30 minutes on to my morning routine and honestly I'm exhausted.

I've got the worst illness I've had in years and I could cry today. I'm barely making it through the work day and all I want to do is go home, take a bath and go to sleep. My entire body hurts, I've got the shakes, I can't lift anything. I feel dreadful.

I could be wrong but I think yesterday she stretched her left toes out. Other than that still no movement and that fantastic sitting up seems to have been a one off.

Although she's doing it in the tray, she's still peeing on herself because she can't get in a good position. I've ordered some puppy pads to try and draw it away from her as giving her a basic clean and making sure she's dry afterwards has added another 20-30 minutes on to my morning routine and honestly I'm exhausted.

I've got the worst illness I've had in years and I could cry today. I'm barely making it through the work day and all I want to do is go home, take a bath and go to sleep. My entire body hurts, I've got the shakes, I can't lift anything. I feel dreadful.

I hope she improves again soon, fingers crossed she did stretch her toes out :thumb:

I’m sorry you are so poorly, sending you lots of vibes and hugs xx

Oh no, I hope you feel better soon (((((( hugs ))))))

It sounds as though you are both having an extremely tough time :cry: I really hope that you will both start to feel better very soon xx

You probably already know this, but instead of, or as well as, the puppy pads you could use vet bed?
I find it the best for softness and wicking away moisture.

I've woken up feeling tonnes better! Not exactly well but I was able to do her leg stretches before work. No positive signs whatsoever but I'm getting very used to that and we've got a lovely little thing going where I turn her round at the end to massage her back and legs and she grooms me at the same time. She has gone from monster rabbit to total sweetheart, I can't believe it.

She appears to hate the harness I bought though - chewed a hole right through my bedding to make me aware of that. So I've got a couple of different styles on order that should arrive Monday :thumb:

I'll have a look at the vet bed. I think that'll be great after we're done with the daily bleaching, thanks for the suggestion MM!

Back