• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dog loxicom dosage advice (and not impressed with vet).

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Willow had a wet and slightly red back leg about 10 days ago. I took her to the vets and saw a vet I hadn’t seen before. She checked her over, teeth included and concluded there wasn’t anything obviously wrong, other than perhaps being a bit overweight (my fault, I’m used to elderly bunnies who struggle to keep weight on in the winter) and that the best course of action was to monitor her. She thought about prescribing some antiseptic cream for the raw areas on her leg but decided against it. I wasn’t overly impressed with the vet, but I know there’s a push not to prescribe antibiotics unless essential, so okay.
I bought some antiseptic cream suitable for animals myself and made sure that she kept as dry as possible and put the cream on once a day. Last weekend it was looking dry and the skin looked a normal colour.
I came home from work tonight and as I swept out the run, Willow hopped out of the way and I noticed her leg was wet again. I phoned the vets and explained and said that she wasn’t her usual self and hadn’t come in to eat her tea, so I hadn’t seen her eat since this morning. They said to bring her straight in (it was at the time where they are usually switching over to their own out of hours staff), so I knew there might be an extra charge, but that wasn’t an issue, she needed seeing.
So, we saw the same vet. I explained what had happened, that she wasn’t her normal self and I hadn’t seen her eat. She looked at her legs and noted there was significant urine scald. She also felt her stomach in great detail then declared that she couldn’t find any evidence of bladder stones and that we should try a few days of antibiotics. I asked about pain relief and she said she’d give her an anti inflammatory injection. She didn’t check her teeth again, listen to her lungs or intestine or take her temperature. She checked her weight which was the same as 10 days ago. I’m assuming that as Willow was trying to get away from her that she thought she was okay and not an “ill” rabbit. She gave her the injection and said she’d prescribe antibiotic drops. I asked about ongoing pain relief, given that I hadn’t seen her eat (and if I had sore legs and a urine infection I’d want some painkillers). She agreed to prescribe some loxicom. She said to try the antibiotics for 7-10 days and come back if it hadn’t settled and they could look at doing bloods. She didn’t mention anything about the importance of eating for rabbits or suggest critical care or anything like that.
At reception, the nurse came round and said that they didn’t have any 10ml bottles of loxicom, only 32mls which would obviously cost more. She’d spoken to the vet who said it probably wasn’t worth the cost as she probably wouldn’t need pain relief and I could always take her back for another injection if needed. I said I’d rather pay the extra cost and have it if needed and that it lasts a while when open (thinking that the boys will be neutered in a couple of months, so they can use it). The receptionist said, it only lasts 28 days once open. I couldn’t be bothered to challenge her (I had heard the nurse tell another patient when I took the boys for the vaccinations that it lasts 6 months, which matched my memory).
So, I got back home with them tonight. Willow has sulfatrim drops 0.4mls twice a day. A new bottle with no details of how long to give it for (other than the verbal 4-7 days). She also has dog loxicom ie 1.5mg/ml. The instructions say to give 0.18kg once a day. They usually give me a separate syringe and mls rather than kg measurements. The smallest syringe is up to 15kg and the smallest measurement is 0.5kg. Very helpful. I have a spare 1ml syringe. Anyone know what the dose on that should be? Willow is about 2kg in weight if that helps.
Really not impressed with the vet. Sadly it’s a big practice so they have lots of different vets. Might have to ask which vet any appointments are with and suddenly be unable to make those appointments if it’s with that vet.

Sounds like a disappointing vet visit who really doesn’t know rabbits all that well. I had a similar experiance recently and decided to leave the practice.

I’m sorry I have no clue on the dosage for the meds.

I hope the abx work and willow gets better soon. Sending lots of Speedy recovery vibes.

Willow had a wet and slightly red back leg about 10 days ago. I took her to the vets and saw a vet I hadn’t seen before. She checked her over, teeth included and concluded there wasn’t anything obviously wrong, other than perhaps being a bit overweight (my fault, I’m used to elderly bunnies who struggle to keep weight on in the winter) and that the best course of action was to monitor her. She thought about prescribing some antiseptic cream for the raw areas on her leg but decided against it. I wasn’t overly impressed with the vet, but I know there’s a push not to prescribe antibiotics unless essential, so okay.
I bought some antiseptic cream suitable for animals myself and made sure that she kept as dry as possible and put the cream on once a day. Last weekend it was looking dry and the skin looked a normal colour.
I came home from work tonight and as I swept out the run, Willow hopped out of the way and I noticed her leg was wet again. I phoned the vets and explained and said that she wasn’t her usual self and hadn’t come in to eat her tea, so I hadn’t seen her eat since this morning. They said to bring her straight in (it was at the time where they are usually switching over to their own out of hours staff), so I knew there might be an extra charge, but that wasn’t an issue, she needed seeing.
So, we saw the same vet. I explained what had happened, that she wasn’t her normal self and I hadn’t seen her eat. She looked at her legs and noted there was significant urine scald. She also felt her stomach in great detail then declared that she couldn’t find any evidence of bladder stones and that we should try a few days of antibiotics. I asked about pain relief and she said she’d give her an anti inflammatory injection. She didn’t check her teeth again, listen to her lungs or intestine or take her temperature. She checked her weight which was the same as 10 days ago. I’m assuming that as Willow was trying to get away from her that she thought she was okay and not an “ill” rabbit. She gave her the injection and said she’d prescribe antibiotic drops. I asked about ongoing pain relief, given that I hadn’t seen her eat (and if I had sore legs and a urine infection I’d want some painkillers). She agreed to prescribe some loxicom. She said to try the antibiotics for 7-10 days and come back if it hadn’t settled and they could look at doing bloods. She didn’t mention anything about the importance of eating for rabbits or suggest critical care or anything like that.
At reception, the nurse came round and said that they didn’t have any 10ml bottles of loxicom, only 32mls which would obviously cost more. She’d spoken to the vet who said it probably wasn’t worth the cost as she probably wouldn’t need pain relief and I could always take her back for another injection if needed. I said I’d rather pay the extra cost and have it if needed and that it lasts a while when open (thinking that the boys will be neutered in a couple of months, so they can use it). The receptionist said, it only lasts 28 days once open. I couldn’t be bothered to challenge her (I had heard the nurse tell another patient when I took the boys for the vaccinations that it lasts 6 months, which matched my memory).
So, I got back home with them tonight. Willow has sulfatrim drops 0.4mls twice a day. A new bottle with no details of how long to give it for (other than the verbal 4-7 days). She also has dog loxicom ie 1.5mg/ml. The instructions say to give 0.18kg once a day. They usually give me a separate syringe and mls rather than kg measurements. The smallest syringe is up to 15kg and the smallest measurement is 0.5kg. Very helpful. I have a spare 1ml syringe. Anyone know what the dose on that should be? Willow is about 2kg in weight if that helps.
Really not impressed with the vet. Sadly it’s a big practice so they have lots of different vets. Might have to ask which vet any appointments are with and suddenly be unable to make those appointments if it’s with that vet.

Sorry to hear that Willow is having problems. Did the Vet take a Urine sample to check for infection ?

There is some information about dose rates for Meloxicam (Loxicom) here.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/pain-management-rabbits/drug-focus-meloxicam/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

With the Dog Metacam 0.1ml = 0.15mg meloxicam. Most Rabbit Savvy Vets use a dose range of 0.3mg-0.6mg/kg/day ie 0.2ml-0.4ml/kg/day. Some Vets believe it is better given in 2 12 hourly divided doses as Rabbits metabolise Meloxicam at a faster rate than other species.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

So giving a once daily dose may not give a full 24 hour analgesic cover. (NB only a qualified Vet can give instructions on the specific dose to give to the Rabbit they are treating- mentioning this to make it clear that I am not giving POM drug dosing advice myself)

A bit more reading re Urine scald :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/UrineScaldingRabbit.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Differentials/Incontinence.htm

https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/health/wet-tail-in-rabbits-urine-scalding/

I can send you some more info via email too if it'd help. Cant post it on here as it's copyright protected.

Sending lots of vibes for Willow xx

I have some spare syringes and Dilly has urine scald at the moment, I have him on metacam 4mls twice a day but he weighs 6kgs The cream I used was sudacrem as a barrier but found that a pure aloe vera gell worked better (with vets permission) He is also on abtks to stop the red skin being infected. He is on Baytril.
Sending vibes for Willow.
If you need the syringes just send me a quick pm

Thank you for all the advice. I’ve noted that obviously only the vet can prescribe a dose of the loxicom, but given I hadn’t a chance in heck of measuring out the dose specified, it’s good to know a ball park figure so that I know that my own translations are in the right area. Willow’s leg is much drier tonight. I do wonder if in some way it’s linked to the weather as both times have been after torrential rain that has resulted in some standing water in the run. Given that they use the whole run as a toilet area it’s like sitting in a sewer. I’m sure she has a habit of sitting in puddles too. That said, Herb who lives with her is pristine.
Household weight loss programme has started to ensure that she isn’t restricted by obesity. The vet didn’t say she was overweight, but they both look on the chunky side to me.
Willow was very unimpressed when I tried to put antibiotics on her fenugreek crunchie this morning. She took it off me and then spat it out! She’s not really cooperating when I give her the meds, but I can get them down her eventually. She did however do some tooth purring when I cuddled her and gave her nose rubs tonight before putting her back home. I think I’ll consider splitting her loxicom dose in two as the vets have told me to do that before and she’s still only getting the same dose per 24hrs.
Thanks Cuthbert&Dillon for the offer of syringes. Thankfully, I had a couple unused from previous vet trips so I’m ok. I’m sorry to hear that Dilly is suffering too. I hope he feels better soon x

Thank you for all the advice. I’ve noted that obviously only the vet can prescribe a dose of the loxicom, but given I hadn’t a chance in heck of measuring out the dose specified, it’s good to know a ball park figure so that I know that my own translations are in the right area. Willow’s leg is much drier tonight. I do wonder if in some way it’s linked to the weather as both times have been after torrential rain that has resulted in some standing water in the run. Given that they use the whole run as a toilet area it’s like sitting in a sewer. I’m sure she has a habit of sitting in puddles too. That said, Herb who lives with her is pristine.
Household weight loss programme has started to ensure that she isn’t restricted by obesity. The vet didn’t say she was overweight, but they both look on the chunky side to me.
Willow was very unimpressed when I tried to put antibiotics on her fenugreek crunchie this morning. She took it off me and then spat it out! She’s not really cooperating when I give her the meds, but I can get them down her eventually. She did however do some tooth purring when I cuddled her and gave her nose rubs tonight before putting her back home. I think I’ll consider splitting her loxicom dose in two as the vets have told me to do that before and she’s still only getting the same dose per 24hrs.
Thanks Cuthbert&Dillon for the offer of syringes. Thankfully, I had a couple unused from previous vet trips so I’m ok. I’m sorry to hear that Dilly is suffering too. I hope he feels better soon x

I hope it is the standing water in the run. Sending vibes for Willow.

I only highlighted the issue to avoid any assumptions from certain quarters that I think I am a Vet !! I have to cover my backside these days :roll: Glad to hear that Willow is drier today. Hopefully the abx have kicked in xx

I think it’s very sensible to do that these days Jane. :) If you do have any more info I’d love to see it thank you x

Back