• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay bale price increase

bumblicious

Warren Veteran
Went to get our bale of hay this weekend and the price has gone up by £3!
Which is obviously quite a lot considering it used to be only £6.50!
Apparently it's cos they had a bad season or something last year? But this is the first time the price has changed.
Just wondered if anyone else has had this?

Our local equestrian suppler put the price up last month by nearly £2 a bale (it was £6.50), and have now limited hay to 5 bales per customer.
Hay tends to be in limited supply around April anyway, but last years' yield was poor so there is less available now and it has to last through to this years' first cut.

Yes that's the word she used, cut. It's never happened before in all the years I've bought bales. Wasn't expecting it

The weather has been very dry last year and has affected a lot of crops, and prices in general have gone up, so it’s no wonder hay has gone up too, although that is quite a hike. Perhaps you might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere locally?

price offset-$$

Went to get our bale of hay this weekend and the price has gone up by £3!
Which is obviously quite a lot considering it used to be only £6.50!
Apparently it's cos they had a bad season or something last year? But this is the first time the price has changed.
Just wondered if anyone else has had this?
dear bumbilicious,-I was able offset prices by cutting weeds/vegy greens daily,-and good knowledge about local weeds is a must,-there are look alikes.,and we don,t have myxi..,just thought something here could help overruns..sincerely james waller from the other kent,wa.st.usa.:wave::love:

No price increases yet but my 'local' (20mi round trip) equestrian shop has stopped doing big bags and bales: the lady said she couldn't handle the back-breaking anymore! My most-local supplier is double the distance now :( Might have to go to farms and ask!

The weather has been very dry last year and has affected a lot of crops, and prices in general have gone up, so it’s no wonder hay has gone up too, although that is quite a hike. Perhaps you might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere locally?

This. I know from talking to our buyers at work that the hay and grass crops were severely affected by last years searingly hot summer and so, like many other crops, prices have gone up to reflect this. I believe it's also effected stuff like redigrass which is also in short supply.

Back