• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smelly house rabbits?

Glingle

Warren Veteran
Does anyone have any tips for keeping your house smelling fresh? Pickle and Beans are now 3 months old and are starting to develop that teenager smell! :lol: They’ll be getting neutered as soon as we can see things to remove and when the vets are happy with their weight and maturity.
Obviously, I change their litter tray daily, now thinking that their hay tray might need a full clean out each day too.
Mum came down yesterday to do some jobs whilst I was out and she didn’t pull the gate past the cupboard bases in the kitchen and so the squeezed out of the gap between the bottom of the cupboard door and the baseboard under the cupboards. I’m guessing that had a great time exploring. The6 were both hiding in the corner behind the kitchen table when I got in and I managed to flush them out after 10 minutes with two brooms! Somebun had been exploring in the lounge as there were a couple of stinky squishy poos on the rug. I’m guessing there might be some more in the lounge as I’m sure I can smell them. The lounge is so cluttered though, it’s going to be a full day task to find them. Or am I just hypersensitive about them smelling and so might be imaging it!
Any tips greatfully received!

Norty bunnies :lol: Fern’s wee smelt a bit whiffy at first, she hadn’t been spayed too many weeks before she came to me, so I think the hormones were subsiding, thankfully it’s ok now :thumb: I use wood pellet cat litter which is very absorbent and they don’t usually smell with that, although Fern did at first. Hopefully post neutering they will be fine. My bunnies think hay trays are litter trays, unless it’s Timothy.co.uk hay, they don’t wee on that!

I don't have anything useful to add to what Zoobec has suggested. I'd use a small absorbent litter and give the litter trays a good wash out daily to help contain the pong.

I can however empathise with the squishy poo smell. I gave Snoopy some chicory root yesterday and it turns out it doesn't agree with him! That smell really lingers in the nostrils. I had the steam cleaner out and his botty is now lemon fresh clean but I swear I can still smell it. I could even smell it in Aldi!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, the sticky ones definitely pong a bit!

I worry that I've become immune to the smell from our four indoor buns as I rarely notice anything :lol: x

Back