• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding again sorry!

Smudge

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Haven't been on for a while as i've been feeling a little poorly. So hello again to everyone, hope you have all been well and the bunsters are ok!

Now, next week we can finally put Smudge and Bailey together (it will have been 6-7 weeks after his op). Since he has been 'done' they have been separated but in a cage next to each other and when i was down there (a few weeks ago now) they seemed to like to sit next to each other on the ajoining cage wall and occasionally it looked like they was grooming each other.

Bailey is not agressive at all, he's really dosile boy where as Smudge lately is getting a little terror when it comes to handling, i think she's in her teenage years! When they was allowed to sniff each other without the bars in the way Bailey just seemed to wanna hump but don't worry we separated them before they got it on!

What i would like to know is from all the info above what do you reckon is the best way to introduce them? Put them together for an hour a day and take it from there, am completely clueless as we've never done this before!!!

Any advice would be great

Lots of love

Helen x

hiya Smudge!!

Sorry to hear you havent been feeling to great helen :(

I have no idea having only The Mub! but id say read through some of the previous topics ?? that might help! :D

Hellooooo Nicola!!!!

Love your avatar hehe :lol: :p

I'm so excited, i hope they get on!!!! Must not be lazy and look through previous posts :shock: :lol:

Oh and got that pm you sent me through msn but i wasn't at the comp, I think Jamie has forgotten about the site, the dopey buggar :lol: I will get on the case :wink:

Hiya Helen,

Having them next to each other should really help as they know each other already. The next step is to find a neutral spot, a kitchen or bathroom might be good, and let them in together. You'll probably find there is some humping, a little chasing etc. but as long as they don't fight leave them to in. Its part of the bonding process, they are working out who is boss.

If there is a lot of chasing and you get the impression they are getting annoyed then end that session and have another one later. If they are getting on fine then you can keep them together for an hour, or more if you have time to supervise. Repeat each day.

When you put them together and they settle down quickly and spend the session getting on, sitting together or ignoring each other and playing around then you can try them in the non neutral area. This might happen after a day or it may take a couple of weeks.

Smudge is mostly likely to be protective of her cage, so when you get to that stage then put them in Bailey's cage rather than hers.

I hope that helps, good luck!
Tamsin

Thanks for all the info and sorry i haven't replied sooner, not been on for a few days :p And yes it really does cheer you up coming on here and seeing all the cute bunnies :lol:

I came down to London yesterday so got to see Bailey and Smudge again, yay! Only thing is we found out that when Jamie was away and his mum fed them they got in together and humped for about a minute :shock: So hopefully that may have started the bonding process :lol: They are being very loving towards each other :wink:

Tamsin, that is exactly what i was looking for, clear straigh to it, simple advice (well it would have to be simple for me :lol: ). I am off to get ready and get these bunnies bonded!!!!

Will let you know how we get on :)

Love and hugs

Helen x

Good luck with the bonding Smudge! Nice to see you back on with your cute 2some. I am sure they will be the best of friends and get on like a bunn house on fire.

I may have some bonding to do soon, we were in a local pet store and my bloke saw a tiny bun (looked a little like an angora or a breed with long hair) he feel in love (seems to be a regular thing at the moment when we go to pets at home, if we had loads of cash we would be about 10 buns more in numbers!!) She was tiny baby bun and was going to let her be a friend for Thora (fingers crossed) both females but thought we could give it try and if not its an excuse to get more!! We have already named her Squige.

He keeps humping her rear end and head end constantly and she just lies down.

I feel so sorry for her :( They have been together for 20 minutes, shall i just leave them to it cause it's gonna happen or separate them for today? :?

Poor little Smudge :cry:

Awww bless her!

By the sounds this is fairly normal and aslong as they are nipping or growling or fighting each other then they are ok and wht humping will stop and they will snuggle up!

And as if by magic....

He only humps her for about a second at a time now instead of a long session :shock: And he's started laying next to her, Smudge just lies there and goes with the flow.

Bailey looks like he is grooming Smudge cause he seems to bite her fur and use his paws to 'groom' her.

Think i will leave them together as long as poss, don't wanna undo the work already done!

ok now the humping is about once everyone 30-40 mins.

Questions is once they have stopped humping, ie a couple of hours and still no action :lol: would it be ok to put them in their big hutch tonight?

They are cuddling/lying next to each other which i hope is a good sign :)

I am no expert on bonding but having gone through the trauma ( :?: ) myself, I would say that you just know when its safe to put them together. I was about 80% convinced yesterday that the time was right but backed off. Put them together this morning and they haven't looked back, I just felt that the time was right. If you have any doubts at all, I would say to wait and continue with the sessions.

Well they have been together about 6 hours now :)

There has been no fighting, which is wonderful :D He does mount her still but she doesn't seem to be bothered about it really. At times they seem quite loving as they seem to lay next to each other...awwwwwwww :oops: :p

The pen we built to separate them has literally fell apart today. I think i am going to see how they are in an hour and if they are ok put them in the playhouse together.

I am 99% certain they won't fight, just wish he would stop humping her!!!! I guess that will settle down though and he will soon get bored :roll:

Put them together now wherever it is they're going to be sleeping, and then you can keep an eye on them over the next few hours and see if they're going to behave during the night. If they just snuggle down together then all should be well, if there's any nipping or chasing then move them back to where they're happy and then separate them during the night and try again tomorrow.

Well it seems to be going ok!

They have been together for 2 days now and no fighting! I think the humping has stopped (well when ever i go check on them there is no humping :lol: ) and i even caught them lying next to each other earlier in the hutch part of their playhouse:D

Did take some pictures but i've left the lead for the camera up in Birmingham :roll: As soon as i go home next week i'll put them up :p

Thanks for the advice everyone :wink:

awwwwwwwwwwwww

take lotssssssssssssss of pics please Helen!!

and we will just have to wait til yer home to see em :D

Back