• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Last Gift To Plumpkin

Beapig

Mama Doe
This morning I did something...potentially reckless. I went by the house of the people I got Plumpkin from. I wanted to know how her babies and husbun were doing, if they were still alive.

I apologised to intrude on their time and explained that since taking Plumpkin, she had been very sick and today she must be put to sleep. The woman who I saw last time showed me her husbun. He was running around and seemed healthy enough but it still just loose in the garden. The tiny hutch that Plumpkin used to live in was open on the floor. No bedding in there. Pellets and bread in a bowl in the cage.

I explained that we have spent over £2000 on Plumpkin's vet care this past year and that I felt morally obligated to check that the others are doing okay. Then, what happened next was unexpected - her partner (who I had not met previously) began having a go at me 'You spent £2000 on a rabbit? You do know that humans are superior to animals right? Why don't you give that money to humans instead?'

I was a little gobsmacked but held my ground. I told him that I don't earn a lot, less than the minimum wage a year for a woman my age, but that I would give my savings to my animals, my children (if I ever have children), my parents - I give food and money to the homeless often. I support many charities through Patreon. I also told him I believe that we are ALL equal, and if we have pets it is our RESPONSIBILITY to give them the best life possible.

I hope that I made the right decision in doing this. It felt like something I have to do. Now I can only ask myself if it is necessary to call the RSPCA. I don't believe that the rabbit's basic needs are being met. He is not even shut in at night for his safety.

Anyway, let me know if you think I'm a reckless fool or brave. I hope it's the latter.

Oh P.S, I've sent an email to the RWAF to see if they think I should contact the RSPCA. I have told them the exact condition of the rabbit and the innappropriate accomodation.

Last edited:
Oh Beapig :(

My thoughts on your decision to do this are so very mixed. In some ways I consider this terribly brave and I'm not sure that I could have coped with it. I know I would have been very distressed by her partner's comments, although would be rational enough to consider him as scum and not worth becoming upset about. My concern would be for you and how it has affected you.

Importantly though, I recognise that I myself have mostly lived my life on impulse. I have done things that others certainly wouldn't have done and have put myself in situations that I know will hurt me. But I have done these things because my heart has told me that I must.

So I completely understand why you needed to do this :love:

I will be interested to know the RWAF's response.

Oh Beapig :(

My thoughts on your decision to do this are so very mixed. In some ways I consider this terribly brave and I'm not sure that I could have coped with it. I know I would have been very distressed by her partner's comments, although would be rational enough to consider him as scum and not worth becoming upset about. My concern would be for you and how it has affected you.

Importantly though, I recognise that I myself have mostly lived my life on impulse. I have done things that others certainly wouldn't have done and have put myself in situations that I know will hurt me. But I have done these things because my heart has told me that I must.

So I completely understand why you needed to do this :love:

I will be interested to know the RWAF's response.

This is exactly what it was for me. I felt guilty that I didn't report them last year when I took Plumpkin in her sorry state. I kind of feel like it was the least I could do for Plumpkin on her final day. People like him should NOT be allowed to own animals. He basically implied that he wouldn't pay for vet care.

I actually strangely feel okay - overall I'm glad that I did it. In the past I was scared to call them out because they live nearby to me. They have no idea where I live, though.

I feel stressed just reading your post. That was incredibly brave. I think it's kind of natural to get a stroppy response like that, but you might have given them something to think about, even if they showed no outward signs to you that they had taken it in.

This morning I did something...potentially reckless. I went by the house of the people I got Plumpkin from. I wanted to know how her babies and husbun were doing, if they were still alive.

I apologised to intrude on their time and explained that since taking Plumpkin, she had been very sick and today she must be put to sleep. The woman who I saw last time showed me her husbun. He was running around and seemed healthy enough but it still just loose in the garden. The tiny hutch that Plumpkin used to live in was open on the floor. No bedding in there. Pellets and bread in a bowl in the cage.

I explained that we have spent over £2000 on Plumpkin's vet care this past year and that I felt morally obligated to check that the others are doing okay. Then, what happened next was unexpected - her partner (who I had not met previously) began having a go at me 'You spent £2000 on a rabbit? You do know that humans are superior to animals right? Why don't you give that money to humans instead?'

I was a little gobsmacked but held my ground. I told him that I don't earn a lot, less than the minimum wage a year for a woman my age, but that I would give my savings to my animals, my children (if I ever have children), my parents - I give food and money to the homeless often. I support many charities through Patreon. I also told him I believe that we are ALL equal, and if we have pets it is our RESPONSIBILITY to give them the best life possible.

I hope that I made the right decision in doing this. It felt like something I have to do. Now I can only ask myself if it is necessary to call the RSPCA. I don't believe that the rabbit's basic needs are being met. He is not even shut in at night for his safety.

Anyway, let me know if you think I'm a reckless fool or brave. I hope it's the latter.

Oh P.S, I've sent an email to the RWAF to see if they think I should contact the RSPCA. I have told them the exact condition of the rabbit and the innappropriate accomodation.

I would have done exactly the same as you. You didn't do it for the ridiculous response you got, though what a shame they couldn't be grateful to you or at least see how much compassion you have in your heart.

You did it because it was the right thing to do for yourself and Plumpkn, and also potentially for the other rabbits in their care.

I wouldnt hesitate to report to the RSPCA . But I would respect your decision if you think not to after what's happened.

I would have done exactly the same as you. You didn't do it for the ridiculous response you got, though what a shame they couldn't be grateful to you or at least see how much compassion you have in your heart.

You did it because it was the right thing to do for yourself and Plumpkn, and also potentially for the other rabbits in their care.

I wouldnt hesitate to report to the RSPCA . But I would respect your decision if you think not to after what's happened.

Thank you MM - this had made me feel reassured at my decision. I am much more inclined to call them now, since the owner stated he doesn't give a jot about animal welfare. I'll wait to hear back from the RWAF first.

In the words of Martin Luther King, 'Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter'.

Well done for going over there and saying your piece and for standing your ground against that piece of scum. It's so difficult to know what to do in these situations. If you don't say anything it can gnaw away at you for years. But if you do, there's always the risk that their response could leave you feeling even more distressed.

You know, I think despite his "humans are superior" bravado, I suspect his conscience has been pricked by their neglect of Plumpkin and the fact you've had to pick up the pieces. I've often found that people who know deep down they're in the wrong have a tendency to be very aggressive and vitriolic in defending themselves. Almost as if they have to stamp down on that little voice inside telling them they're an utter ****.

You've always done right by your girl and Plumpkin will be very proud of you for standing up for her xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thank you MM - this had made me feel reassured at my decision. I am much more inclined to call them now, since the owner stated he doesn't give a jot about animal welfare. I'll wait to hear back from the RWAF first.

In the words of Martin Luther King, 'Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter'.

I love that quote.

Yes I have put myself in danger for speaking and doing what I feel is right. I don't regret one jot of any of it. I can't stand by and let a human or animal suffer if there's something I can do to prevent it.

I am appalled at those peoples' attitudes, but I suppose I should be surprised by nothing given the rabbits I have taken in as part of RSPCA cruelty cases :(

Well done for going over there and saying your piece and for standing your ground against that piece of scum. It's so difficult to know what to do in these situations. If you don't say anything it can gnaw away at you for years. But if you do, there's always the risk that their response could leave you feeling even more distressed.

You know, I think despite his "humans are superior" bravado, I suspect his conscience has been pricked by their neglect of Plumpkin and the fact you've had to pick up the pieces. I've often found that people who know deep down they're in the wrong have a tendency to be very aggressive and vitriolic in defending themselves. Almost as if they have to stamp down on that little voice inside telling them they're an utter ****.

You've always done right by your girl and Plumpkin will be very proud of you for standing up for her xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

So true. I think he must have been an Evangelical Christian or something because he was like 'Do you believe in God? You know God made us to rule over animals and be superior to them right? It's funny because my parents are actually both Christians, but they don't share this view. I hate it when people use religion to justify any kind of cruelty.

I love that quote.

Yes I have put myself in danger for speaking and doing what I feel is right. I don't regret one jot of any of it. I can't stand by and let a human or animal suffer if there's something I can do to prevent it.

I am appalled at those peoples' attitudes, but I suppose I should be surprised by nothing given the rabbits I have taken in as part of RSPCA cruelty cases :(

Well done MM, you are very brave. I think that we absolutely must use our voices for the animals - especially when there are people out there who clearly don't give a **** about them.

This is why it shouldn't be so easy as going to Pets at Home to buy a rabbit. Anyone can hand the cash over with zero experience, no intention of bothering to research their basic needs and also the attitude that their lives and wellbeing don't matter anyway. Grrrr :censored:

You were very brave doing what you did. As to whether you should report them I wouldn't like to say because you have to think of your own animals' safety and folk can be very resentful etc. And of course, sadly, the RSPCA might not do anything anyway. But this is up to you. In the Bible it says we are to have dominion over the animals but also we should care for all creatures. We will be thinking of you at 6.20 tonight.

You were very brave doing what you did. As to whether you should report them I wouldn't like to say because you have to think of your own animals' safety and folk can be very resentful etc. And of course, sadly, the RSPCA might not do anything anyway. But this is up to you. In the Bible it says we are to have dominion over the animals but also we should care for all creatures. We will be thinking of you at 6.20 tonight.

It also says that we should be stewards of this earth - protect it and respect it. I'm not religious but my family are Christians and they are compassionate people towards animals. It just annoys me so much when some people use it as an excuse/reason to neglect animals.

You were so brave to do that, I don't think I could've! I would call the RSPCA given what you have described but wait to see what the RWAF say. Some people just shouldn't have animals...

Beapig - I understand why previous posts say you are brave. You should take great heart from those views. I would say that you have become Plumkins voice. If you cast your mind back to the day you thought about rescuing her, that, was your courage moment. Not now. The day you rescued that beautiful rabbit was the day your courage blossomed. Your heart guided you - it pulled you towards Plumpkin because your heart knew what was right. You forged a bond with a special rabbit and you have devoted so much with Plumkin this last year, as well as your other commitments. You are unselfish and generous to the welfare of others, putting everything else ahead of your own circumstances.
As far as I'm concerned, you visit to Plumpkins former owners was long overdue and you were remarkably dignified and had every right to voice your concerns on Plumpkins behalf. They needed to know what is involved and their response was not one I was expecting to read. I was expecting remorse and sorrow, but to be met with the response you got, left me in tears. Plumpkins story touched me so much, and I have nothing but admiration for you. And you deserved much better, much more from those people. Plumkin deserved much more. You have had to make decisions based on the terrible conditions she was kept in, and some acknowledgement from those people was the very least Plumkin deserved. I get very upset when people have attitudes like those do. It is horrible and disrespectful and morally wrong on every level. They disgust me and I don't even have pity for them because they have no place in a society where people like you give so much to everyone, and people like them just take.
You deserve more than just thanks - I wish there were more words I could give you other than my support and gratitude for everything you have done and everything you continue to do. You are a very special person with a very special heart - and your generosity is selfless and your kindess so abundant. I wish there were more people in the world like you. xx

Back