• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit passed away

Briperkins

New Kit
I'm new to this forum so hey. I had 2 male rabbits being kept separately outside but they could still see each other. They were separate because they were never neutered. One of them passed yesterday. What can I do to help the other be less lonely? Would it benefit him if i bought him inside? He is 5 years old and he likes being outdoors I think. I have bought him new toys for his run. I'm going to try and spend more time with him. Also this is an odd question but how long to rabbits live? I can't seem to find an answer.

Hello, and welcome to the forum, I’m sorry it’s under sad circumstances :cry: sorry to hear that you lost one of your rabbits :cry:

Bringing your remaining rabbit inside might help him, but he’s still quite young, rabbits can easily live over 10 years, and he’s not too old to be neutered by a rabbit savvy vet, so he could be bonded with a friend. Maybe a rescue could help bond him, a neutered female usually makes the best match for a neutered male. Bonding needs to take place in a neutral area and the accommodation needs to be neutralised before they are returned to it.

Are/were both your rabbits vaccinated for both vhd1 and myxomatosis, and with the separate vhd2 vaccine ?

I'm new to this forum so hey. I had 2 male rabbits being kept separately outside but they could still see each other. They were separate because they were never neutered. One of them passed yesterday. What can I do to help the other be less lonely? Would it benefit him if i bought him inside? He is 5 years old and he likes being outdoors I think. I have bought him new toys for his run. I'm going to try and spend more time with him. Also this is an odd question but how long to rabbits live? I can't seem to find an answer.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Difficult to answer how long, it can really vary, I think some sites say 6-8 years, but they can live 10 years or more.

Keeping him active and maybe hiding treats in toys and stuff hay in tubes with forage? Spending time with him will help too.

Were they both vaccinationed, with both vaccinations?

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Difficult to answer how long, it can really vary, I think some sites say 6-8 years, but they can live 10 years or more.

Keeping him active and maybe hiding treats in toys and stuff hay in tubes with forage? Spending time with him will help too.

Were they both vaccinationed, with both vaccinations?

No they were never vaccinated

No they were never vaccinated. I though he was too old to be neutered. I dont think we could get another rabbit for him to be bonded with. Do you have any tips for bringing him inside? Like on how to rabbit proof a room and making it easier on him.

Hello, and welcome to the forum,
I’m sorry it’s under sad circumstances :cry: sorry to hear that you lost one of your rabbits :cry:

Bringing your remaining rabbit inside might help him, but he’s still quite young, rabbits can easily live over 10 years, and he’s not too old to be neutered by a rabbit savvy vet, so he could be bonded with a friend. Maybe a rescue could help bond him, a neutered female usually makes the best match for a neutered male. Bonding needs to take place in a neutral area and the accommodation needs to be neutralised before they are returned to it.

Are/were both your rabbits vaccinated for both vhd1 and myxomatosis, and with the separate vhd2 vaccine ?

No they were never vaccinated. I though he was too old to be neutered. I dont think we could get another rabbit for him to be bonded with. Do you have any tips for bringing him inside? Like on how to rabbit proof a room and making it easier on him.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am very sorry that you joined under the tragic circumstances of your loss. It mirrors somewhat my journey to the forum and it has been for me, a wonderful insight into the world of rabbits, from people who are always on hand to give you advice and support you.
I am sorry that you have lost one of your buns, and although you say they were not bonded, rabbits do go through a grieving process. Some rabbits handle the process, others dont and can, sometimes go into stasis (where they stop eating and pooping). It can, if not acted on quicly, cause death so one thing I would suggest you to do over the following days is to monitor your surviving rabbit very carefully for signs of loss of appettite and also poops. He will feel a loss but you are the eyes and ears of him and so you needto watch his body language.
I would suggest a full course of vaccinations as suggested in previous posts. These will protect your rabbit and also it would be helpful to have some insight as to perhaps how or why your other bun passed. If he died suddenly, then it may be the cause of VHD. So a vet check would be helpful for your surviving bun.
They can live in some cases, as long as 10 and posibly 12 years depending on their environment and health. There really is no definitive age on how long they live.
Bringing him indoors? Well, it is an option although if he's been used to being outdoors, he may not take to it immediately so you could perhaps try introducing him into the indoor living area slowly - maybe an hour or two at first. It is important he feels companionship - rabbits are extremely sociable and benefit most from being in groups - two or more. A bunny companion is the best support for your rabbit and rescue centres provide a wealth of expertese and help. And you would be giving a rescue bun a second chance in life - which is immensely satisfying.
You could get your bunny some toys to relieve the boredom and perhaps a snuggle toy like a toy soft rabbit? Give him loads of extra attention and make him feel special because like you, he will be grieving and upset so he needs the support from you.
Bunnyproofing your house? That's a tough one. Rabbits primarily love to chew. They don't do it on purpose but in a home, they can cause problems. Wires and cables that are reachable will look like roots to your rabbit and it's instinct is to chew them. So you need to ensure there are no wires or cables that your bun can get to. Telephone cables, tv wires, ariel leads, computer/laptop leads, hub connections, and anything electrical. Some rabbits chew furniture so be mindful of that. Wood especially. A few rabbits (some on this forum) like to re-decorate and have a liking for chewing wallpaper and skirting boards and mine likes to chew the plaster off the walls.
Making a safe area using high wire caging - like a dog pen or similar, will provide a safe inside environment and many rabbit owners on this forum have the most wonderful indoor areas for their rabbits. Maybe look through the threads in the chat part and see what we do for our indoor rabbits. Flooring is also important as rabbits can slip and cause themselves injuries from this.
I hope that you can find something to help you with my posts and please let us know how your rabbit is doing and please keep an eye on him and get him both vaccinated and also neutered. It will be in his very best interests at this stage.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am very sorry that you joined under the tragic circumstances of your loss. It mirrors somewhat my journey to the forum and it has been for me, a wonderful insight into the world of rabbits, from people who are always on hand to give you advice and support you.
I am sorry that you have lost one of your buns, and although you say they were not bonded, rabbits do go through a grieving process. Some rabbits handle the process, others dont and can, sometimes go into stasis (where they stop eating and pooping). It can, if not acted on quicly, cause death so one thing I would suggest you to do over the following days is to monitor your surviving rabbit very carefully for signs of loss of appettite and also poops. He will feel a loss but you are the eyes and ears of him and so you needto watch his body language.
I would suggest a full course of vaccinations as suggested in previous posts. These will protect your rabbit and also it would be helpful to have some insight as to perhaps how or why your other bun passed. If he died suddenly, then it may be the cause of VHD. So a vet check would be helpful for your surviving bun.
They can live in some cases, as long as 10 and posibly 12 years depending on their environment and health. There really is no definitive age on how long they live.
Bringing him indoors? Well, it is an option although if he's been used to being outdoors, he may not take to it immediately so you could perhaps try introducing him into the indoor living area slowly - maybe an hour or two at first. It is important he feels companionship - rabbits are extremely sociable and benefit most from being in groups - two or more. A bunny companion is the best support for your rabbit and rescue centres provide a wealth of expertese and help. And you would be giving a rescue bun a second chance in life - which is immensely satisfying.
You could get your bunny some toys to relieve the boredom and perhaps a snuggle toy like a toy soft rabbit? Give him loads of extra attention and make him feel special because like you, he will be grieving and upset so he needs the support from you.
Bunnyproofing your house? That's a tough one. Rabbits primarily love to chew. They don't do it on purpose but in a home, they can cause problems. Wires and cables that are reachable will look like roots to your rabbit and it's instinct is to chew them. So you need to ensure there are no wires or cables that your bun can get to. Telephone cables, tv wires, ariel leads, computer/laptop leads, hub connections, and anything electrical. Some rabbits chew furniture so be mindful of that. Wood especially. A few rabbits (some on this forum) like to re-decorate and have a liking for chewing wallpaper and skirting boards and mine likes to chew the plaster off the walls.
Making a safe area using high wire caging - like a dog pen or similar, will provide a safe inside environment and many rabbit owners on this forum have the most wonderful indoor areas for their rabbits. Maybe look through the threads in the chat part and see what we do for our indoor rabbits. Flooring is also important as rabbits can slip and cause themselves injuries from this.
I hope that you can find something to help you with my posts and please let us know how your rabbit is doing and please keep an eye on him and get him both vaccinated and also neutered. It will be in his very best interests at this stage.

I'm very stuck as to what do do. He is missing the rabbit that passed. He is eating so that's okay. I would like to bring him inside and rabbit proof a room for him so I can be with him as much as i can but is that going to be enough. Will he still need rabbit companionship. I've never bonded rabbits before so I dont know how to do that. I also don't want to rush into getting another rabbit. Is he going to cope with being brought indoors after being a outdoor rabbit his whole life. I also know nothing about having an indoor rabbit. There's just a lot to figure out lol. I'm very stuck and confused about it all. Thanks for helping.
Edit: i just reread abour what you said abour flooring. What kind of flooring would be best for him?

I’m very sorry you lost one of your rabbits.
The most important thing for your remaining bunny is to have him vaccinated.

Hi. I’m sorry for your loss.

If left unvaccinated your remaining rabbit is at risk constantly even if the rabbit that died did so from some thing you can’t vaccinate against. Even house rabbits need to be vaccinated as there are still risks.

Iv not had rabbits long but I would always take what the people on this forum say seriously as most are extreamilly experianced and knowledgeable.

Hi. I’m sorry for your loss.

If left unvaccinated your remaining rabbit is at risk constantly even if the rabbit that died did so from some thing you can’t vaccinate against. Even house rabbits need to be vaccinated as there are still risks.

Iv not had rabbits long but I would always take what the people on this forum say seriously as most are extreamilly experianced and knowledgeable.

This. :wave:

Regarding the flooring - I'm not really an expert on flooring but I know some owners on the forum are. Carpets can be ok but as I've discovered with my zoomie nethie, they give him friction burns and therefore sore hocks. Natural wood floors will be slipery for rabbits but there is an overlay substance you can put on it - not sure what that is.
Rabbits ideally should be kept in at least pairs as they are socialble and rely on companionship. Your rabbit will benefit from having a companion but you will need to bond them and it would be highly recomended to have yours neutered first and any companion also neutered/spayed. This has health benefits as well as reducing problems during the bonding process. There is a wealth of bonding information and help on the forum and it is worth looking at for help and guidance.

I'm sorry you have lost a rabbit. I would definitely have your remaining bunny vaccinated. I have a single house rabbit, who has been indoors all his time with me. My late rabbit started off outside but moved indoors and became very settled and content as an indoor bunny.

Back