• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey’s ongoing bladder issues - kidney stones

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Sorry but I’m hoping anyone who may have dealt with kidney stones before can help as I’m freaking out.

For the last week, bailey has been spotting blood, he’s been on metacam and anti-biotics but we’ve seen no change whatsoever. He went back for scans yesterday and it’s now looking like he’s got visable stones in both kidneys!

We are trying to help syringe him as much water as possible but it’s such a struggle with him and he’s stopped eating his pellets, he’s currently on metacam, Zantac, sulfatrim and tramadol. We’re due back at the vets tomorrow to discuss our options going forward but in the meantime I’ve got one very depressed and unhappy bunny. It’s clear he’s finding it very painful to wee and he went for an emergency unltrasound yesterday which didn’t show any blockages.

I’ve asked for a copy of his scans which I’ll put up here shortly, but can anyone let me know what I can expect on Monday? I’ve done so much reading up where buns have just had whole kidneys removed but has anyone got any success stories? I’m so worried about him... :cry: :cry: and would really appreciate any advice anyone might have? Xx

I'm so sorry to hear about Baileys problem, I have absolutely no experience of this, but just wanted to send vibes and good wishes for him and for you. Good luck at vets xxxxx

I don’t have any experience of this but I’m sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

I'm really sorry to read your news about Bailey.

I hate to post with little cheer but as I do have experience I'll post what I know.

Kidney stones in both kidneys is extremely bad news, which I'm sure you already know. My soulbun Artie had kidney stones (from EC) but by some miracle it only affected one kidney so it could be removed. The options are extremely limited when it's both kidneys.

When Artie was first diagnosed he was having an inpatient stay for stasis. During the time he was in there one of the kidney stones moved into his ureter blocking it, so it became an emergency situation. They decided to watch and wait for a few days to see if it would clear on its own.I was extremely lucky for him to he under the care of the Harcourt-Browns at the time. Nigel HB came up with a plan (a surgery he'd done in dogs previously but not rabbits) of not removing the kidney but cutting it in half, scooping out the stones and then just sewing the outer edge of the kidney, apparently the inner bit just heals quickly on its own. Artie went into surgery with that being the plan but Nigel decided when he 'got in there' to make an incision in the ureter to remove the stone in there then from there flush out the stones that remained in the kidney without doing surgery on the kidney itself. The operation was a success but sadly, because the kidney was so damaged it formed stones pretty much straight away and four weeks later Artie was back in surgery having the kidney removed. They never formed in his other kidney, thankfully.

Frances HB told me fairly recently that she had had to make the decision to let go a much loved rabbit who had stones in both kidneys - I know if there was an alternative they would have tried it. It really isn't good news, I wish I had something more hopeful to say. I'm just wondering if flushing the stones out is an option - but I'm guessing there's a very high chance of stones returning as they did for Artie.

I wish Bailey and yourselves much luck. You've had more than your share of challenges.

Thanks so much for being honest with me, it’s absolutely heartbreaking.. he just doesn’t deserve this! :cry:

We’ll be getting some more scans on Monday to fully confirm and see the sizes of them along with discussing what to do next but really appreciate you letting me know thank you.

They did say initially it could just be matter as appantly rabbits can have some material visable in their kidneys? But when we did the emergency one yesterday it’s a bright white stones which were clear to see!

I’m sorry to ask but with Artie, was he passing blood? Weirdly I’m finding bailey just doesn’t want to drink.. he’s always been a great drinker but over the last couple of weeks, it’s like he’s trying not too..

All I can do is try and keep him as comfortable as possible until Monday and see what they say!

Thank you xx

Oh Ruth I'm so sorry to read this. I'm afraid I don't have any experience of kidney stones but didn't want to read and run. I really hope that the scan tomorrow will show that things aren't as bleak as feared. I'll be thinking of you both. xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for being honest with me, it’s absolutely heartbreaking.. he just doesn’t deserve this! :cry:

We’ll be getting some more scans on Monday to fully confirm and see the sizes of them along with discussing what to do next but really appreciate you letting me know thank you.

They did say initially it could just be matter as appantly rabbits can have some material visable in their kidneys? But when we did the emergency one yesterday it’s a bright white stones which were clear to see!

I’m sorry to ask but with Artie, was he passing blood? Weirdly I’m finding bailey just doesn’t want to drink.. he’s always been a great drinker but over the last couple of weeks, it’s like he’s trying not too..

All I can do is try and keep him as comfortable as possible until Monday and see what they say!

Thank you xx

No, at the time of the kidney stones Artie wasn't passing blood (or at least, he wasn't at home, he was at the vets for about a week, I can't remember if they said he was there. Sadly, he also had a longstanding issue with bladder sludge so it would have been difficult to know the cause of blood. I do remember though, when Frances first broke the news that he had kidney stones she said, "I don't intend to do anything about it at the moment". The prognosis was considered guarded rather than really bleak... until the stone moved of course then it was an emergency. I'm holding onto the hope that it is manageable or maybe if there's just one stone that's a real issue that it's treatable. I really hope Bailey can have some quality time yet despite this - like you say, he doesn't deserve this. At least you know you have an amazing team looking after him, that goes a long way, knowing you are doing everything you possibly can.

Ah okay, thank you! The scans yesterday actually showed hardly any sludge in his bladder and that the walls weren’t thick at all so they don’t believe it’s from sludge. He’s being treated for an infection already and considering he’s been on anti-biotics for almost 2 weeks we’ve seen no change whatsoever and if anything he’s got worse. We weighed him yesterday and he’d gone from 2.22 to 1.18 in 6 days. They weren’t overly concerned about his weight but I know he’s not himself!

They also said the same that stones in each kidney doesn’t mean end of the road yet and might not be causing him the pain, but it’s something they do need to consider as at the moment they’re not sure what else it could be! :cry:

Thankfully my vet is back tomorrow and they’ve also made us a 1.5 hour appointment so guessing he’ll be anaesthetised for whatever they’re going to do..

Also huge thanks scrappy and I am trying to stay positive but he’s so sad and it’s like he’s had enough xxx

Oh Ruthy, I'm so sorry to read this update. I was actually thinking about you and Bailey last night wondering how things were. I had hoped that as you had not posted in a while that he was doing well. Poor little Bailey and poor you. You both dont deserve this. You are doing so much for that little bun and I hope the scans and vet visit tomorrow will give more hope and a positive plan for Bailey. Hugs to you both xx

Poor Bailey, I hope you get some positive news from the vets tomorrow

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I've no experience with kidney stones, but wanted to send lots of vibes for Bailey and his appointment tomorrow. I hope it's not as bleak as you fear.

Oh Ruthy, I'm so sorry to read this update. I was actually thinking about you and Bailey last night wondering how things were. I had hoped that as you had not posted in a while that he was doing well. Poor little Bailey and poor you. You both dont deserve this. You are doing so much for that little bun and I hope the scans and vet visit tomorrow will give more hope and a positive plan for Bailey. Hugs to you both xx

Nicky - I've tried PM'ing you, but your inbox is full xx

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your vibes and support.

We are so thrilled that he doesn’t have any kidney stones! (God knows what the emergency vet saw) but we’re so relieved.

However he does have about 6/7 stones in his bladder which are between 4-6mm in length. He’s booked in for surgery on Wednesday to have them removed!

I couldn’t believe how many of these stones had developed in a matter of 8 weeks!! The vet was saying it’s likely to be from his bladder infection he had after flushing. As the bacteria reacts with the calcium.. making it harder and likely to form stones. I’m so annoyed with myself too for not pushing for an X-ray sooner! God knows how much pain my poor little boy has been in.. :cry:

Back