• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Memorial Tree Ideas

Beapig

Mama Doe
We have decided we are going to bury Plumpkin somewhere in their huge run area, where she loved to play and spend time with her friends. I'm going to a garden centre tomorrow and would like to buy a tree in preparation. It needs to be a tree which will be safe to eat when the leaves/petals fall off for Hamilton and Beatrice.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? Something which blossoms would be lovely - white blossom particularly will make me think of her.

I know that a young tree will be vulnerable, so I will surround the trunk in a protective wire covering.

Apple would usually have white blossoms with a pink flush, which always make me think of REW bunnies :)

Would an apple tree be safe to put in their run? Just thinking of falling fruit. I do love apple blossom though so I think it would be a lovely idea.

Crab apple. Generally smaller tree and fruits, but same blossom, which will be out at the time of year when you will be thinking of her.
All parts of both apples and crab apples are OK for rabbits.

If you get a tree, check the rootstock as it will determine how big the tree gets - height and spread are usually about the same. The smaller ones will be about 2-3m when fully grown.

https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/gardening-advice/fruit-tree-advice/apple-tree-rootstock-advice

I think an apple tree would be a really nice idea. As well as the blossom colouration being a lovely reminder of Plumpkin, Ham and Bea would also be able to enjoy the leaves and twigs from the tree. It would be like Plumpkin giving perpetual gifts to her friends.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Would an apple tree be safe to put in their run? Just thinking of falling fruit. I do love apple blossom though so I think it would be a lovely idea.

We have 6 apple trees and 2 pear trees in the area of the garden where the chickens roam. We have never had a problem with falling fruit. Fruit falling from lower branches will not be a problem and the fruit which comes from higher up will probably have had its fall interrupted by lower branches.

You would need to collect up any fruit though, as fallen fruit is very often caused by insect or bird damage and so if left on the ground it will start to ferment, which would not be good for rabbits' tummies. We don't find this too onerous a task.

I think that apple or crab apple would be perfectly fine :)

We have 6 apple trees and 2 pear trees in the area of the garden where the chickens roam. We have never had a problem with falling fruit. Fruit falling from lower branches will not be a problem and the fruit which comes from higher up will probably have had its fall interrupted by lower branches.

You would need to collect up any fruit though, as fallen fruit is very often caused by insect or bird damage and so if left on the ground it will start to ferment, which would not be good for rabbits' tummies. We don't find this too onerous a task.

I think that apple or crab apple would be perfectly fine :)

Thank you Omi, this is really good to know! I'd be vigilant about collecting the fruit daily.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions for nice varieties? 'Evereste' looks like a pretty crab apple. Or I'd also potentially go for a tree with larger apples.

Thank you Omi, this is really good to know! I'd be vigilant about collecting the fruit daily.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions for nice varieties? 'Evereste' looks like a pretty crab apple. Or I'd also potentially go for a tree with larger apples.

I don't know much about varieties of crab apple. John Downie is the only one I've heard of, which I think is the most common one. Our favourite eating apple variety, which tastes good and keeps well, is Red Falstaff.

Malus 'Evereste' Tree Flowering Crab Apple Tree. The bloom is a beautiful blush white flower - which personally I feel would be the most fitting tribute and honour to the beautiful Plumpkin. She has the most beautiful white fur and any tree that displays and honours this would, in my opinion, be fitting for her. But I also think that a variety that you enjoy eating would be an appropriate way to always remember such a special rabbit. It's what your heart tells you that is important so go with what you feel.
Hugs to you xx

Back