• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tested positive for EC

Griff

Young Bun
Hi all

Would love some advice and experience from others on this subject.

6 weeks ago one of my 4, poppy, had a wet bottom. No other symptoms, perfectly fine. She was drinking eating and acting normal. All toilet was still in litter tray (no wees in unusual places) But she had a wet backside for two days so we took her to the vets as were very worried.
The vet was fantastic. She washed and shaved her as she was messy, we noticed she was starting to get red near her legs (scalding) and rear end was sore. She suggested one week antibiotics as it could be urine infection but also start panacur. We had blood tests to see what it was.
We monitored her and still no other symptoms of urine issues. She had a full course of antibiotics and was/is acting 100% healthy. We bathed and cream on her every day for a week to get her back fine. And gave her the antibiotics and panacur.
After 7 days we went back and got test results. All bloods ok, no kidney problem or urine infection, all levels were ok. But the EC test came back positive (high).
So we carried on for the full 28 days on panacur. We also then treated Jake her husbun for 9 days (he has showed no signs either but precaution).

Last week we had her retested and the results came back the same :-( we were amazed as we have this bunny who is perfectly healthy, showing no signs of illness, had 28 days panacur and we did everything to try lower the risk of Re-infection like cleaning her litter tray every day.

So back on panacur for 28 days.

So I would love to hear of others thoughts on this.
1) is it common to have no symptoms but still EC. And is the 2 day urine issue a red herring? She is drinking perfectly normally, poo and wee in litter tray normal, eating normal. And she runs around and binkey like a trooper!
2) should I now get Jake tested in case he has it or is a carrier. He has shown no symptoms either
3) what happens if it’s still positive at another 28 days? Yet she is perfectly healthy and all we are doing is stressing her giving meds each day.
4) what else can I try to get rid of it? Extra cleaning etc.

Just feeling confused. It’s awful knowing she has this, but everything I read talks about symptoms, which she has none. I just feel helpless. She is 3.5 years old and her and Jake adore each other. I have another bonded couple too.

Unless it has changed outside of my knowledge, the EC test is for exposure to the disease. So I thought any repeat testing is pointless, as it will always be high once the rabbit has been exposed.

I think it's usual practice to give the partner bunny 28 days' treatment too though.

Hi all

Would love some advice and experience from others on this subject.

6 weeks ago one of my 4, poppy, had a wet bottom. No other symptoms, perfectly fine. She was drinking eating and acting normal. All toilet was still in litter tray (no wees in unusual places) But she had a wet backside for two days so we took her to the vets as were very worried.
The vet was fantastic. She washed and shaved her as she was messy, we noticed she was starting to get red near her legs (scalding) and rear end was sore. She suggested one week antibiotics as it could be urine infection but also start panacur. We had blood tests to see what it was.
We monitored her and still no other symptoms of urine issues. She had a full course of antibiotics and was/is acting 100% healthy. We bathed and cream on her every day for a week to get her back fine. And gave her the antibiotics and panacur.
After 7 days we went back and got test results. All bloods ok, no kidney problem or urine infection, all levels were ok. But the EC test came back positive (high).
So we carried on for the full 28 days on panacur. We also then treated Jake her husbun for 9 days (he has showed no signs either but precaution).

Last week we had her retested and the results came back the same :-( we were amazed as we have this bunny who is perfectly healthy, showing no signs of illness, had 28 days panacur and we did everything to try lower the risk of Re-infection like cleaning her litter tray every day.

So back on panacur for 28 days.

So I would love to hear of others thoughts on this.
1) is it common to have no symptoms but still EC. And is the 2 day urine issue a red herring? She is drinking perfectly normally, poo and wee in litter tray normal, eating normal. And she runs around and binkey like a trooper!
2) should I now get Jake tested in case he has it or is a carrier. He has shown no symptoms either
3) what happens if it’s still positive at another 28 days? Yet she is perfectly healthy and all we are doing is stressing her giving meds each day.
4) what else can I try to get rid of it? Extra cleaning etc.

Just feeling confused. It’s awful knowing she has this, but everything I read talks about symptoms, which she has none. I just feel helpless. She is 3.5 years old and her and Jake adore each other. I have another bonded couple too.

This information may be helpful to read :

http://www.greendale.co.uk/cuniculi_disease.html

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

Unless it has changed outside of my knowledge, the EC test is for exposure to the disease. So I thought any repeat testing is pointless, as it will always be high once the rabbit has been exposed.

I think it's usual practice to give the partner bunny 28 days' treatment too though.

I assumed it was Re tested to see if levels had dropped as she was high positive. But no change noted. Interesting to know thanks

A lot of rabbits prove positive to EC when tested but most will never have any symptoms. So I would think that if she is showing no symptoms and is perfectly happy and healthy then you can carry on as normal and hopefully she will remain healthy. I personally wouldn't give her another 28 days of Panacur but that is up to you. But I am not an expert and you did a good job in getting her better.

A lot of rabbits prove positive to EC when tested but most will never have any symptoms. So I would think that if she is showing no symptoms and is perfectly happy and healthy then you can carry on as normal and hopefully she will remain healthy. I personally wouldn't give her another 28 days of Panacur but that is up to you. But I am not an expert and you did a good job in getting her better.

Thank you.

Back