• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Out of hours fees

Stator

Warren Veteran
What's the basic out of hours fee you pay, excluding the cost of treatment?

My vet has just gone from £120 to £190 :(

Sorry not sure... But I always take mine to great western exotics in Swindon... I Pay whatever they charge as I know that they give the best healthcare bar none

Mine is two-tier (VetsNow Nottingham): in 2015 it was about £70 before 11pm, £120 after, so it must have gone up by now.

I just looked up ours. It's even more!

Standard Consultation (Before 9pm): From £162

After 9pm: £208

We’re £220 <11pm
And £260 >11pm

That’s for the consult so treatment/hospitalisation are on top of this

We’re £220 <11pm
And £260 >11pm

That’s for the consult so treatment/hospitalisation are on top of this
Yea my vets out of hours are about this much.. I will say though... I never use it, because my vet said there's no point really as they have no exotics cover.. So if I suspected gut stasis for example I'd go to vets4pets, get them to give painkillers and gut meds, and then I'd go to my actual vet when they open the next morning. In an emergency I'd do the same and try manage it best myself til I can get the animal to my proper vets, only because vets4pets is 24 hour and don't increase the prices, and I'd get the same rubbish care there for way less money [emoji38] might seem a bit crazy, but I've also done this on a weekend when my vets have been shut, and my vets just requests the files over after.

Even though they aren't exotics trained and I don't really rate them, they can do gut stimulants, and painkillers (altho they always suggest a low dose, which my vet has said to change in the past) not conventional probably, but I'd rather spend £50 on meds, than £300 just to see someone similar and get meds.. Considering I'll be going to my proper vet as soon as they open [emoji38] also all the vets now are not that close to me :S

I'm not sure these days - our cat is on a total health care plan so any consults, meds (any time of the day) are all included in the monthly fee we pay. Plus my daughter works there so, for our other pets, cost is reduced

I have £120 in my head but I could be well out. Our vet is open 7am till 11pm on weekdays & normal office hrs on a weekend too so out of hrs is quite short. Standard consults are £40 plus though so I guess we pay for the longer opening hrs in a roundabout way.

I think mine is about £80 but I'm really lucky in that they open on saturdays and sundsays so unless its an extreame emergancy I can usually get seen as a routine appointment the following day.

Yea my vets out of hours are about this much.. I will say though... I never use it, because my vet said there's no point really as they have no exotics cover.. So if I suspected gut stasis for example I'd go to vets4pets, get them to give painkillers and gut meds, and then I'd go to my actual vet when they open the next morning. In an emergency I'd do the same and try manage it best myself til I can get the animal to my proper vets, only because vets4pets is 24 hour and don't increase the prices, and I'd get the same rubbish care there for way less money [emoji38] might seem a bit crazy, but I've also done this on a weekend when my vets have been shut, and my vets just requests the files over after.

Even though they aren't exotics trained and I don't really rate them, they can do gut stimulants, and painkillers (altho they always suggest a low dose, which my vet has said to change in the past) not conventional probably, but I'd rather spend £50 on meds, than £300 just to see someone similar and get meds.. Considering I'll be going to my proper vet as soon as they open [emoji38] also all the vets now are not that close to me :S

Which Vets4Pets is 24 hour? I didn't know any were. I go to a Vets4Pets and they are open weekends, but it's normal practice hours.

I'm not sure these days - our cat is on a total health care plan so any consults, meds (any time of the day) are all included in the monthly fee we pay. Plus my daughter works there so, for our other pets, cost is reduced

I have £120 in my head but I could be well out. Our vet is open 7am till 11pm on weekdays & normal office hrs on a weekend too so out of hrs is quite short. Standard consults are £40 plus though so I guess we pay for the longer opening hrs in a roundabout way.

I meant to ask you about this total healthcare plan when you mentioned it before. What is it?

Which Vets4Pets is 24 hour? I didn't know any were. I go to a Vets4Pets and they are open weekends, but it's normal practice hours.
Well without telling you my local one... Idk how to answer, but I can think of 3 nearish to me that are.. Maybe it's not all of them? I'm sure if you go on their website it'll tell you :) the ones that are 24 hours 365 don't charge extra for out of hours either, it's just normal day prices :)

A vets4pets in Leeds is also 24 hours and no OOH fee's. Can't recall my vets fees, £160 - £210 depending on time I believe

Wish I had a 24/7 vets nearby. Vets4Pets all shut around 7pm here.
Cost me £350 for the usual gut stimulants and painkillers.
It's so expensive I'm worried the insurance might not even cover it.
There's only one emergency vet service now, so I guess that's why prices have soared.
Don't think I can afford any more rabbits after these two are gone.

Well without telling you my local one... Idk how to answer, but I can think of 3 nearish to me that are.. Maybe it's not all of them? I'm sure if you go on their website it'll tell you :) the ones that are 24 hours 365 don't charge extra for out of hours either, it's just normal day prices :)

I didn't realise this was a thing at all. I just went on their website and found one - Rayleigh. That's the only one I could see in Essex, but I didn't check them all.

I didn't realise this was a thing at all. I just went on their website and found one - Rayleigh. That's the only one I could see in Essex, but I didn't check them all.
There's a few more :) but depends where you are I guess, Rayleigh is far from me. There's one in basildon too apparently, off a127

Last edited:
I meant to ask you about this total healthcare plan when you mentioned it before. What is it?

It's fairly unusual I think, Babsie.

For a set monthly fee, they offer two health checks a year, flea & worming treatment as needed, vaccinations, neutering. On top of this, if your pet is ever ill, you can see the vet free of charge and any meds prescribed are covered. Any in-house treatments, operations, testing is included and, in addition, they will also give you up to £4k towards a referral (limit resets every year). It also includes dental work, which most insurance policies didn't cover when I checked.

The only proviso is that your pet needs to be raw fed. Our vets are huge advocates of raw feeding and, as such, believe that a lot of the common conditions they're regularly seeing pets for are diet related. Soooooo, get the pets onto the most species appropriate diet and you should be seeing them less (in theory!).

We weighed up the cost vs insurance & paying for preventatives ourselves & we were not only saving money (assuming Freddie is never ill, which of course he already has been!) but also getting a slightly better level of cover with no excess to pay.

My vets outsource out of hours so although practice is still open you have to ring up at time you book an appointment to find out what the cost is.

Back