• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some decisions are harder than others.

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Scenario. Excessively elderly bunny (12 years, 8 months) with arthritis is three legs, her back and her hips. She was previously managed in terms of her pain but after a trip to the vets she now hurts a lot and is very medicated up. She’s very doddery but her mind is willing and doesn’t realise that she is so old. There is no where to go with meds.

- situation one- when her pain relief is lower (such as when she’s due a dose), she is much brighter and livelier, but I know she is hurting (some tooth grinding when sitting). I can’t see the quality in this because she hurts more.

- situation two- she’s well medicated up but sleeps all the time. She’s more comfortable but I can’t see see the quality in this.

I always want to make sure they never suffer and she doesn’t suffer but some part of me feels that if I have her it’s when she isn’t ready or when she still has the ability to be lively in her, then I’m giving upon her and letting her down because she’s not ready. But I don’t want her to be too ready and suffer because I didn’t pick it soon enough. PTS for unmanageable pain feels such a sad way to die.

If she were yours, what would you do?

I had a situation similar. I had a bun who was only eight but had crippling arthritis due to a hind leg problem. He was only on metacam twice daily then stopped eating. Went onto stronger painkillers and would still go into stasis. Eventually he couldn't stand on his front feetsies and his front feetsies would splay out to the sides. Eventually the vets had a meeting about it and called me in for PTS which I am happy with that decision. It wasn't a sudden decline, he started going off certain foods, bumping into things and falling over, urine scald where he couldn't stand properly. From what you describe I would say the situation is not yet urgent but given her age I would keep an eye on her. I think you know in your heart and in their eyes when it's the right time. It doesn't sound too urgent but you know your bunny the bested. I would also like to say she is a fantastic age and I know how difficult this must be for you :( I think...could be wrong...But JJ said that dying naturally is very peaceful however it's not something personally I would want to see just in case. Charlie had some gas first then went to the bridge which was really comforting. Lots of loves and hugs xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I would pts. 'Unmanageable pain' is the decider for me. I don't want it for myself. I don't want it for anybun else.

How is she compared to last week? Worse than you would expect her to be, or a slow progression, or maybe about the same? Is she coping?

I would discuss with the vet to see what they think. As you say it’s such a hard decision and it’s difficult for us to advise. Thinking of you and sending hugs and vibes to her xx

If she was mine, I would assess a couple of times a week. When she loses her spark and is obviously struggling just to 'be', then it her time. One bad day is not abnormal - we all have them - but you can tell when they have deteriorated beyond having a quality of life, they have had enough and are giving up.

In this case, there is no wrong answer - whatever you do will be in her best interests, and it will be the right decision.

Thanks guys.

She’s not in unmanageable pain yet, but the point that she is pts it will be because we can’t manage her pain anymore or it’s not appropriate to manage it anymore. The vets don’t know her really and it was so damaging for her to go last time that that would be a last resort.

It’s just tough. But she is quite bright today so that’s a good thing.

I dont feel able to give advice but did not want to read a run. I hope that she has as many more 'good' days as possible xx

Back