• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reduced size of poos?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Bertie has always been a good hay water but in the last couple of days I have noticed his poos are much smaller. I cut down his greens a bit, but there has been no improvement. He seems fine in himself. I will book him in for a vet check next week if no improvement. I have pro-fibre pellets so have given him a few of them. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Is he moulting at all as this sometimes slows the gut down, or has there been any change in his environment? Keep on with the hay and you could wet his veg before you give it to him. Hope he will be ok.

Bertie has always been a good hay water but in the last couple of days I have noticed his poos are much smaller. I cut down his greens a bit, but there has been no improvement. He seems fine in himself. I will book him in for a vet check next week if no improvement. I have pro-fibre pellets so have given him a few of them. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Is he drinking ?

Is he moulting at all as this sometimes slows the gut down, or has there been any change in his environment? Keep on with the hay and you could wet his veg before you give it to him. Hope he will be ok.

tonibun has given you good advice. I have found that buns are moulting this time of year and it can take it's toll on them.

You could add in some fibafirst sticks, which contain good fibre.
I hope the vet can pinpoint the problem, which on the face of it sounds like it might be his teeth.

Thanks for replies. He isn't moulting significantly as yet this year. I think he may be drinking slightly less. He is still eating pellets, hay and greens quite happily.

Thanks for replies. He isn't moulting significantly as yet this year. I think he may be drinking slightly less. He is still eating pellets, hay and greens quite happily.

Reduced fluid intake (from drinking water and from a reduction of fresh veg/herbs/grass) can affect poo size/gut motility.

Is his urine output normal ? No signs of sludge or very concentrated and/or smelly wee ? If his output is still no normal today I would get the Vet to check him over :)

Reduced fluid intake (from drinking water and from a reduction of fresh veg/herbs/grass) can affect poo size/gut motility.

Is his urine output normal ? No signs of sludge or very concentrated and/or smelly wee ? If his output is still no normal today I would get the Vet to check him over :)

He drank well yesterday, and I him wet kale, which was much enjoyed! I will send investigate his wee when I change his tray shortly. As Bertie is a bedroom bunny I would probably have noticed unusually smelly wee.

How long should it take poo to return to normal if reduced fluid has been the cause of the problem?

He drank well yesterday, and I him wet kale, which was much enjoyed! I will send investigate his wee when I change his tray shortly. As Bertie is a bedroom bunny I would probably have noticed unusually smelly wee.

How long should it take poo to return to normal if reduced fluid has been the cause of the problem?

Personally I would want to get him checked over by a Vet later today or tomorrow morning if his poo is still abnormal. This may sound to be an odd question, but he's not scratching his ears and/or shaking his head a lot is he ?

Personally I would want to get him checked over by a Vet later today or tomorrow morning if his poo is still abnormal. This may sound to be an odd question, but he's not scratching his ears and/or shaking his head a lot is he ?

Not more than usual. His behaviour is pretty normal other than the reduced output. I will contact the vet today and see when I can get an appointment. He is currently rampaging round the room and showing no signs other than the reduced poo of being unwell.

Has he been eating cardboard or anything similar, wallpaper, or something like these hides with grass stuck to them? Frosty eats cardboard and I can’t let him have it anymore as it causes his gut to slow down too. I would get him checked out at the vet. Sending lots of vibes for him x

It's a difficult one as if he's still eating and producing poos, albeit smaller than normal, then the gut is still working. You might want to ask your vet to have a look at him as sometimes they can spot things we've missed. Gut motility meds can make a difference if you get them in fast.

I don't know whether you use Infacol, but many of us have found that to be really helpful in the first stages of gut slowdown. That said I would still want a vet to cast an eye to find out why this is happening.

Bertie has been to the vet. She could find nothing seriously wrong but agreed 4 days was too long for slow gut so we have cisapride, fibreplex and a rather cross rabbit! His teeth have slight spurring that is already being monitored but no sign of discomfort.

Bertie has been to the vet. She could find nothing seriously wrong but agreed 4 days was too long for slow gut so we have cisapride, fibreplex and a rather cross rabbit! His teeth have slight spurring that is already being monitored but no sign of discomfort.

I hope that his tum returns to normal in response to his treatment. Could it be that he is eating less hay due to the spurs on his teeth ? xx

I hope that his tum returns to normal in response to his treatment. Could it be that he is eating less hay due to the spurs on his teeth ? xx

He is still eating hay. I will keep an eye on this though. I'm to phone the vet on Wednesday even if Bertie is fine as they want an update on his progress. His ears were fine, I made a point of asking the vet to check them. x

He is still eating hay. I will keep an eye on this though. I'm to phone the vet on Wednesday even if Bertie is fine as they want an update on his progress. His ears were fine, I made a point of asking the vet to check them. x

What I have found is that for some Bunnies just having the tiniest spurs will mean they eat less hay. The jaw action required to eat hay is rotational, where-as eating pellets etc is more of an 'up and down' chewing. So hay eating may mean the spurs can touch the cheeks/tongue and this feels uncomfortable. So Bunny eats hay more slowly/in less quantity. This has the knock on effect of reducing gut motility and eventually allowing the spurs to increase in size.

I am pretty sure I could have expressed the above more eloquently, but 'eloquence' is not one of my talents !!

Last edited:
What I have found is that for some Bunnies just having the tiniest spurs will mean they eat less hay. The jaw action required to eat hay is rotational, where-as eating pellets etc is more of an 'up and down' chewing. So hay eating may mean the spurs can touch the cheeks/tongue and this feels uncomfortable. So Bunny eats hay more slowly/in less quantity. This has the knock on effect of reducing gut motility and eventually allowing the spurs to increase in size.

I am pretty sure I could have expressed the above more eloquently, but 'eloquence' is not one of my talents !!

Thanks, I follow what you are saying. We didn't see Bertie's usual vet today so comparison with his previous visit was difficult (even with notes). At least I know from today that there is apparently no sign of soreness on tongue and cheek. Bertie is more co-operative with the otoscope than my late bunny, Spenser Milton!

I hope the meds take effect quickly :)

This is exactly what happens with Frosty. Last time he had a dental he had 2 huge ulcers on his tongue from tiny spurs, the ulcers weren’t visible until he was under anaesthetic.

Thanks, I follow what you are saying. We didn't see Bertie's usual vet today so comparison with his previous visit was difficult (even with notes). At least I know from today that there is apparently no sign of soreness on tongue and cheek. Bertie is more co-operative with the otoscope than my late bunny, Spenser Milton!

Spenser just liked to give the Vet a challenge !! I am sure he was always trying to improve the Vet's Bunny tooth viewing skills, so he was being 'helpful' really :D :love:

Back