• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD ALERT

Did you find that out through the vet Val? I've asked around all the vets in our area and they've not seen any cases up here yet, but that could be because people have thought their bun 'just died' :(

bunnyhuggger said:
Did you find that out through the vet Val? I've asked around all the vets in our area and they've not seen any cases up here yet, but that could be because people have thought their bun 'just died' :(

Do you mean they can just die without showing any symtoms of VHD :?:

VHD has very few symptoms, in some cases none, and the bun can die within 24 hours. You'd need to be quite vigelant to spot something. Even if you do there is no real treatment.

A post motem is needed to prove its vhd and they tend not to be done on pet bunnies that are just found dead. So vets don't hear about it. Its generally only when several bunnies from a group die that people start getting suspicious.

Tam

Tamsin - its half past midnight and you're here... that means you MUST have finished your 2000 word essay :!: :!: :!:

I have to forum open on my pc on my right and my essay open on the laptop on my left :lol:

Tam

Tamsin said:
VHD has very few symptoms, in some cases none, and the bun can die within 24 hours. You'd need to be quite vigelant to spot something. Even if you do there is no real treatment.

A post motem is needed to prove its vhd and they tend not to be done on pet bunnies that are just found dead. So vets don't hear about it. Its generally only when several bunnies from a group die that people start getting suspicious.

Tam

:shock: :shock: Thats very worrying. The rabbit books don't state this, they go on about blood coming from the eyes etc :( :(

What happens if you only have one bun :?: whos to say it didnt die of VHD :(

You can pay for a post mortem if you suspect VHD - usually the dead bunny in question has blood around the orifices. You might also be able to get them to take a blood sample post mortem and just test that (may be cheaper) although I am not sure if that would work.

Caz

I always get a post mortem done on my rabbits if they die of unknown or not obvious causes... It gives me peace of mind that it is not something transferable to the others and also that there was (hopefully) nothing else I could have done.

That's how I found out that Toby (died 2 1/2 years ago) died of acute liver failure.

Vera

:( :(

Sorry more questions

Although Myxi has been a topic, VHD has'nt been talked about much. Can a rabbit still die even after having the VHD vacination or does it still have a chance of survival :?:

As I understand it, VHD is an air borne virus so, does the vacine give full protection or the same chances of the myxi vacine :?:

Also, after death, what is the latest time span that a post mortem can be carried out :?:

The out break of vhd was in essex and involved a breeder , he started to loose a few rabbits for no apparent reason , after a couple he had a postmortom done and was told it was vhd. He was told by the vet not to let any rabbits come or go from his home for 4mths after the last death. Because of the nature of this disease its hard to know youve had it unless you get some symptoms, these are bleeding from orafacis[nose eyes etc].Quite often you will not get this and can only go by how it spreads through your rabbits. They may be a bit of colour for a day. As to wether the jab works im not sure i would imagine not totaly like the mixi. These things tend to mutate over the years an develope new strains. val

taylor v 109 said:
There has been another report of vhd in yorkshire yesterday it has been reported to the brc. val

Just thought I would bring this up abit. Perhaps we could do with an ALERT section for things like this. Its not a hint tamsin, honest, as I know how busy you are :D

Hi there,
Could someone please tell me what VHD is and what are the symptoms? Ive never heard of this before.

Thanks,
Nicole
75556271.jpg
75556271.jpg
75556271.jpg
75556271.jpg

75556069.jpg
75556076.jpg
75556084.jpg
75556093.jpg
75556105.jpg

I think in the US its sometimes called RHD. Viral/Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease has an incubation of 1-3 days and usually kills within 48 hours. There is no cure and the death rate is very high, if a bun does survive they are contagious.

It can be passed by contact or biting insects, it doesn't have to be direct contact between bunnies it can travel on clothing/shoes and can survive up to three months.

It only came to the UK in 1992 (I think) and the first case in the US was 2001. Its still pretty rare there as far as I know so although it sounds scary don't panic.

Tam

Back