• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hamster spot.. Anyone know what this is?

Graciee

Staff member
So Gus isn't very good at sitting still.. Sorry but can you see that tiny black mark on the back of his neck? The fur never grew back there really Idk why.. My vet thought he'd rubbed it off on his log, and didn't think he had anything wrong with him (my vet's great, I trust him) but I was just grooming him and I noticed this little line black mark.. It doesn't move or come off..

Anyone know what it is?

I think ima try get an appointment with my vet for next week, but just wondered in the meantime, thanks :)
be799feed4784771212306336a89584f.jpg

Hope you don't mind, have copied this to send to a hamster expert friend.
Not at all, thank you I really appreciate it :D

Sorry about picture he just won't sit still and then his long hair flops over it etc [emoji38] might be able to get someone else to hold him maybe later for a better one :)

We've had lots of hammies so thought I might be able to help but I don't know what I'm looking at lol....

It looks like a hamster bum to me and, now I've got that in my head, I can't unsee it. [emoji23][emoji23]

I've had over dozen hammies.Cant really see clearly.I do know some folk worry about about slight bald patches etc over their hips (I did as first time owner). It's their musky scent glands

Okay a little clearer I hope... [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] Grey things are ears, definitely not his bum [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
6142cbea71c8b5e08997c4fea83fb7fd.jpg

I've had over dozen hammies.Cant really see clearly.I do know some folk worry about about slight bald patches etc over their hips (I did as first time owner). It's their musky scent glands
Oh yea this is nowhere near his scent glands they're massive compared to this little mark too [emoji38]

My friend said any change in pigmentation should be seen by your vet. She has had hammies with skin cancer, said more common in long haired hamsters.

Hope the spot is ok. X

So we saw Ivone, she doesn't know, said shes never seen it before, but found some more on him, I'm going to keep an eye on him to make sure they don't get worse etc, also gave him an injection for mites incase, and I've gotta put cream on him 2x a day incase he has a fungus... She really doubts either because she thinks it'd look a lot worse etc. So still not really sure what's up with him :( she also said his fur should've grown back by now but it hasn't :(

He managed to also get up her sleeve and pop out near the armpit of her fleece, whilst she was wearing it.. [emoji38] he's such a disaster [emoji38][emoji38] I just really hope it's nada serious really

It does make me think maybe skin cancer... The only hamster I've ever seen diagnosed with skin cancer probably actually had Cushings. So I'm definitely no expert!

It does make me think maybe skin cancer... The only hamster I've ever seen diagnosed with skin cancer probably actually had Cushings. So I'm definitely no expert!
Did it start with little spots on the skin? :( he has a couple on his back in different places :(

What did the skin cancer look like?

I asked ivone yesterday about cancer and she said she doesn't think so because they're completely flat on the skin, almost like pigmentation.. But also said.. We'd know very quickly if it is because they'd grow quickly and become raised :( so I guess within a few weeks I'd know, not sure if that's a good or bad thing tbh!

Back