• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not herself after vet treatment?

SBeezy

New Kit
Hiya,
My sweet rabbit Lil Bun (aka LB) was quite poorly with a bladder infection and not eating or pooping last week. She was successfully treated by us and the vet with antibiotics, critical care feed, an IV and a few other bits.

It was a bit stressful for us all, but now she’s doing ok health wise pooping fine, eating plenty etc.

However, since she’s been back from the vet the last time she’s acting quite distant. She used to spend lots of time in the living room with us on the rug and in her tent. She also slept on the sofa (spoiled rabbit!). Since the vets she’s only come into the room once!! She won’t go anywhere near her rug or in her tent.
She also spends much more time in the garden chilling out. She still lets us stroke her as normal.

Does anyone know why she’s acting so strange and won’t spend time in her previous favourite place? She does have other comfy warm spots to sleep/sit, but it seems sad and unlike her. I just want her to be okay and happy.

I'm sorry LB has been poorly but I'm glad she's feeling better now.

Some bunnies can be very sensitive to the stress of going to the vet and having to undergo intensive nursing to get better. This can manifest itself in aloofness and wariness towards their owners. I think with a bit of time and patience she will come round.

I would just monitor her from a distance to make sure she's still eating and pooping ok and let her decide in her own time if she wants to come back into the living room again.

It may also be that she has decided she has new favourite places to hang out. My bunnies do this quite frequently.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Bunnies are phenomenal sulkers when they want to be! Mine sulk for the day when they've been for a nail clip! When one of mine underwent a lot of vet treatment last year (blood tests, ultrasounds, X-rays, overnight stays, etc...) he took a while to trust us again. He was very skittish and wouldn't sit with us like he would before that point.

I probably wouldn't be too concerned at this point, just keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't displaying any symptoms of being in pain etc, and of course lots of fuss and treats will help I'm sure! Hope she is back to herself soon :)

dear SBeezy,.-in a lot of ways-critters are like humans[feelings]--it may take time but like I always say--gotta kiss that little behind,keep up with the love,attention,she
will be good as new..--sincerely james waller from the other kent-wa.st.usa

Hiya,
My sweet rabbit Lil Bun (aka LB) was quite poorly with a bladder infection and not eating or pooping last week. She was successfully treated by us and the vet with antibiotics, critical care feed, an IV and a few other bits.

It was a bit stressful for us all, but now she’s doing ok health wise pooping fine, eating plenty etc.

However, since she’s been back from the vet the last time she’s acting quite distant. She used to spend lots of time in the living room with us on the rug and in her tent. She also slept on the sofa (spoiled rabbit!). Since the vets she’s only come into the room once!! She won’t go anywhere near her rug or in her tent.
She also spends much more time in the garden chilling out. She still lets us stroke her as normal.

Does anyone know why she’s acting so strange and won’t spend time in her previous favourite place? She does have other comfy warm spots to sleep/sit, but it seems sad and unlike her. I just want her to be okay and happy.

Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:

Bladder infections are painful for rabbits and really put them out. I am glad to hear that she's eating well and pooping now :)
She may be still feeling a bit uncomfortable, or she could be getting over the whole vet and medication thing. If she had fluids and lots of syringe medication and feeding then she will be feeling quite wary!

I hope she comes round soon. Good to have you here :)

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words and opinions! I will leave her to do what she wants for a while, make sure she gets plenty of love, and make sure she’s doing well!

Hopefully she will be a bit more like herself soon :)

Back