• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dash Stasis again

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
I have posted before about Dash.
Dash is a small Himilayan Netherland Dwarf that always makes large, oval poos.
He has a condition that causes him to have bouts of stasis.
From Tuesday to Wednesday night he barely drank any water. There was poo in his litterbox from his cleaning the night before, yet some poos were smaller and very hard.
He received sub Q fluids and some Cisapride. At that point he was still very active and begging for more dandelion greens. He ate his greens quickly and came running for more.
He also was eating the fresh hay I gave him. However, he would not poo. Later he got Medicam (for any inflammation) and some Metacloprimide.
As of 4am he still did not make any fresh poos (since prior to 9pm), yet he continued to be active and beg for more dandelions which he promptly ate.
I tried to sleep and less than a couple hours later my spouse woke me to tell me Dash made a lot of large poos. (My valentines gift from Dash).
Dash got his litterbox cleaned and he made lots more wet, elongated poos (larger than his usual oval poos).
I stopped at the market to get more greens and when I got home Dash went to the vets.
Dash continued to eat his greens. The vet checked his poo (nothing found) and examined him. On exam Dash's stomach was very full (greens suspected), yet Dash continued to eat his greens quickly (like he always does). Vet thought I should hold off giving him more greens until he clears the ones in his stomach.
Shortly after we got home, I did not see any fresh poos after a couple hours. I cleaned his litterbox again and it took another couple hours for Dash to produce a few medium sized poos.
He is less active than earlier so I gave him more Medicam. He remains on motility meds too.
Dash continues to come begging for greens and I only gave him a couple more.

Please send Dash some vibes.

From Tuesday to Wednesday night he barely drank any water. There was poo in his litterbox from his cleaning the night before, yet some poos were smaller and very hard.
He received sub Q fluids and some Cisapride. At that point he was still very active and begging for more dandelion greens. He ate his greens quickly and came running for more.
He also was eating the fresh hay I gave him. However, he would not poo. Later he got Medicam (for any inflammation) and some Metacloprimide.
As of 4am he still did not make any fresh poos (since prior to 9pm), yet he continued to be active and beg for more dandelions which he promptly ate.
I tried to sleep and less than a couple hours later my spouse woke me to tell me Dash made a lot of large poos. (My valentines gift from Dash).
Dash got his litterbox cleaned and he made lots more wet, elongated poos (larger than his usual oval poos).
I stopped at the market to get more greens and when I got home Dash went to the vets.
Dash continued to eat his greens. The vet checked his poo (nothing found) and examined him. On exam Dash's stomach was very full (greens suspected), yet Dash continued to eat his greens quickly (like he always does). Vet thought I should hold off giving him more greens until he clears the ones in his stomach.
Shortly after we got home, I did not see any fresh poos after a couple hours. I cleaned his litterbox again and it took another couple hours for Dash to produce a few medium sized poos.
He is less active than earlier so I gave him more Medicam. He remains on motility meds too.

Oh I am sorry to hear that Dash is having a flare up of his chronic gut problems. I dont know if you are able to access any Bramble leaves ? These can be very beneficial to Rabbits with problems affecting their cecum/GI tract motility.

Also, I expect that you have already read this very long thread. But I thought I'd post it here just in case you haven't. You may pick up some useful tips from it as the Bunny concerned 'Thumper' had a chronic gut problem affecting his cecum.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ection-of-GI-tract-presenting-as-dysautonomia

Sending lots of vibes for little Dash and many supportive hugs for you. I realise that you have so many very difficult matters to deal with at the moment xx

I’m sorry Dash is poorly :cry: sending him lots of vibes, and sending some vibes and hugs to you too xx

Have you tried using some infacol. My little netherland dwarf beauty gets stasis through stress quiet oftern. I was given the tip of 1ml every hour for 3 hours then 3 times a day afterwards. It’s not absorbed by the body but just helps every thing pass through.

My girls have just been spayed and although they were gettinging syringe fed they were not pooping. On dose 2 of the hourly for 3 hours part and we have some progress with both who are producing almost normal sized poop just very dark now.

Oh no I am so sorry to hear this.

Vibes for lovely Dash and hugs for you bunny momma xx

Have you tried using some infacol. My little netherland dwarf beauty gets stasis through stress quiet oftern. I was given the tip of 1ml every hour for 3 hours then 3 times a day afterwards. It’s not absorbed by the body but just helps every thing pass through.

My girls have just been spayed and although they were gettinging syringe fed they were not pooping. On dose 2 of the hourly for 3 hours part and we have some progress with both who are producing almost normal sized poop just very dark now.[/QUO

I am glad your girls are improving. I know many people do use infacol and I used it on other bunnies many years ago. I purchased some in 2018; however, my vet advises against its use because not much is known about how it many interact with his other medications.

Oh I am sorry to hear that Dash is having a flare up of his chronic gut problems. I dont know if you are able to access any Bramble leaves ? These can be very beneficial to Rabbits with problems affecting their cecum/GI tract motility.

Also, I expect that you have already read this very long thread. But I thought I'd post it here just in case you haven't. You may pick up some useful tips from it as the Bunny concerned 'Thumper' had a chronic gut problem affecting his cecum.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ection-of-GI-tract-presenting-as-dysautonomia

Sending lots of vibes for little Dash and many supportive hugs for you. I realise that you have so many very difficult matters to deal with at the moment xx

Thanks Jane. I appreciate having the link at my fingertips. Even if it is the same article I read in the past, I sometimes forget or miss things so rereading it could still be beneficial.
In a little more than two months I had five different bunnies to the vets. Heidi is the only bunny who has not gone to the vets during that period of time. Dash is still wanting to eat lots of greens. He is producing poos (this morning they are HUGE) with the help of the meds. Last time Dash had me on a roller coaster ride of improving/stasis so he was put on motility drugs for weeks to stabilize him.
When added to my other issues, it can be daunting, especially when I am not getting enough sleep.

I appreciate the hugs too.

How is Dash doing now? I’m sending lots more vibes xx
At the risk of speaking too soon, he has improved as long as I keep him on fluids and meds. Yesterday Dash started to get very excited when he saw me washing/cutting the dandelion greens. He has been getting spoiled.

Sending loads of vibes for Dash. I hope his tummy settles down soon.
He is improving, yet I still have to give him sub Q fluids and motility meds. When I tried to discontinue fluids he was not drinking on his own so instead I am cutting back slowly. I was a relief to see him being his usual always in motion bunny.

I hope Dash is more settled now and that you are OK and getting enough rest?
After a few days of getting as many greens at he wanted I had to cut back. Dash does not have an off button with greens and will eat them until his stomach is protruding with greens. He will stay on sub Q fluids and motility meds for now.

Back