• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do you take a rabbit that has passed to the vet?

Lisa F

Mama Doe
We found Ernie dead in his aviary this morning. Absolutely no visible cause of death. I'm in absolute bits, there was no warning, he was running around happily last night at dinner. Eric is absolutely fine, just confused.

I don't know what people do in this situation. Do I take him to the vet to have a look at? I can't think straight.

I’m so sorry to hear this.

I think, given you are sure he has passed, I’d only think about visiting the vet if you wanted some causes to be investigated. Given you have Eric too, that may be sensible.

I'm so sorry Ernie's gone, what a terrible shock:(

When I've had a bunny pass at home I have called the pet crematorium & let my vet know in due course . I hope Eric manages ok xx

We found Ernie dead in his aviary this morning. Absolutely no visible cause of death. I'm in absolute bits, there was no warning, he was running around happily last night at dinner. Eric is absolutely fine, just confused.

I don't know what people do in this situation. Do I take him to the vet to have a look at? I can't think straight.

I am so very very sorry Lisa :(

If you want a post mortem then take him to the vets.
Otherwise I would leave him a while with Eric and then make whatever arrangements you would do for him.

Hugs for you xx

I'm so sorry for your loss :(. We lost one of ours very suddenly, recently. It's especially hard to take in when it's so out of the blue.

I've always taken ours into the vets when they've passed (just called ahead and they fit me in) and they organise the cremation. I've never had a pm done.

x

I’m so sorry. I haven’t taken mine to the vet when they’ve passed but you can do if you’d be more comfortable with that

It is an entirely personal decision, but in all cases of 'sudden death' I always request a Post Mortem. Not only to try to give me a reason as to 'why' but in order to ascertain if the death could have been due to a pathogen that may affect my remaining Rabbits.

I am very sorry for your loss :cry:

RIP Ermie xx

So sorry this has happened. :(

For me, if I've wanted answers, I've had a post mortem done. But I've also taken pets to the vets to be cremated too.

Thinking of you x

How tragic, I think others above have answered your vet question, I can't add any more advice.
So sorry for your loss xx

I'm sorry you have lost your Ernie. I think, if it were me, I would be happier if I knew the cause - particularly if he was up to date with vaccinations and I had another rabbit. Must have been an awful shock. :cry:

Oh no! What a terrible shock for you, and Eric too. So sorry for your loss. I think I'd be the same, and want to make sure that my bunny had indeed passed away, therefore I think it is up to you to be honest - the vet certainly will not mind one little bit confirming what you already know and may offer PM, and cremation services for you (if that is what you want).

Binky free little Ernie :cry:.

So very sorry that you have lost Ernie, can't add to the advice already given. Thinking of you and Eric xxxx

Thank you everyone. :( My OH took his body to the vet this afternoon (I couldn't handle going with). She didn't advise a PM as his vaccinations were all up to date so my OH made the decision to just have him cremated. If I'd been there, I possibly would have asked for a PM but what's done is done.

I'm still reeling. The boys were only six and we thought we wouldn't have to deal with this for another few years. :cry:

I'm keeping a close eye on Eric. He seems fine, as active as normal and eating and pooing happily. I'm going to have to think what to do now as he's never been alone before.

Thank you everyone. :( My OH took his body to the vet this afternoon (I couldn't handle going with). She didn't advise a PM as his vaccinations were all up to date so my OH made the decision to just have him cremated. If I'd been there, I possibly would have asked for a PM but what's done is done.

I'm still reeling. The boys were only six and we thought we wouldn't have to deal with this for another few years. :cry:

I'm keeping a close eye on Eric. He seems fine, as active as normal and eating and pooing happily. I'm going to have to think what to do now as he's never been alone before.

:cry:

These things always take us by surprised. Such a shock.

(((((( hugs ))))))

Back