• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would this work?

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
Hi Everyone!!

Need a bit of advice for a friend who doesn't have his own PC!!

He has a house rabbit and has recently aquired another bunny from a friend who couldn't look after it and was going to take it to the vets to have it put down.... :cry: (they are not friends any more!!) :cry:

Anyway my friend has a buck rabbit which is not neutered and he also has alot of other pets too (he's a softie when it comes to animals) but the rabbit he is caring for is a neutered female, we are both unsure as to wheather a bonding would work between a uneutered male and a neutered female???
It would be easier for him to keep the bunnies in one cage if they could be bonded as he is rapidly running out of room in his house as it is being taken over by animals!!

Any advice on this matter would be very helpful as to deciding wheather to try bonding or not. :)

I believe from previous advice given on this forum that it could work as long as the male is not too hormonal - if he curbs his urge to mount her all the time they will be able to be bonded - if he is a very horny rabbit though she may get too fed up with the constant harrasment to allow them to bond.

Is he sure she is neutered - if the previous owner was going to put her down could he have been telling porkies - or has a vet checked her out?

Caz

The vet has not checked her yet......he is going to take her tomorrow so we will hopefully find out for sure then.

This guy could have lied about it so my friend would agree to take her but to be honest he would have taken her whatever so fingers crossed!!

Indeed. Definitely don't put the bunnies together until you know for certain that she's been spayed. Spaying is the sort of thing that responsible owners do and having your pets killed when you don't want to look after them anymore isn't. I don't know how easy it will be for the vet to work out if she's been spayed though. Monopoly has a big scar down her tummy at the moment, but how easy that will be to find when her fur's grown back in, I don't know. Would bunny need her belly shaved, or can a good vet spot a spay scar at 50 paces?

I've heard of vets being so unable to tell they have to open them up to have a look as often if the stitching is neat it leaves no visible scar through the fur - some vets specifically "tattoo" the area with a bit of puckered stitching to ensure a small scar is left. I hadn't checked Athena's belly recently but she was done June time this year I think and I can't tell at all now!

Caz

Monopoly's is glued and has a definite ridge to it. I honestly can't remember about the other three. If it came to having to open her up to have a look then I think the best thing would be just to have the boy neutered. :?

Back