• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh Tear - Oh Tear

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Yo Bunny Folks

I'm having a few probs with Buffy's eye at the moment - She's had one visit to the Vets and they have given me eye creams for her and this has improved her eye a little but it looks like its starting to flare up again.

(Adele - It got better initially and looked good on Saturday when you saw her - but it does look like its getting worse again now :( )

Her eye is basically quite sore around the lid and into the corner of her eye, there is no discharge but the Vet did mention that she thought there may be a posibility of a small absess.

I'm continuing with TCL and some gentle eye baths in cold tea, ointments to soothe etc for her but my Vet mentioned that if there is no improvement in the next week she suggests Flushing her Tear Duct. :(

Not sure but I thought I'd read somewhere that this is very distressing for bunnies and should be avoided unless absolutely necessary - any experiences of this folks - or would I be better to continue with bathing and ointments for longer. My Vet is really good and I wouldn't want to challenge her judgement but I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. Any thoughts folks :?:

Jasper had to have this done quite often and it always seemed to really help clear things up quickly. They basically put a tiny tube into the tear duct and squirt in lots of saline. I don't imagine its comfortable but probably not much different to having eye drops.

You could also try gently massaging the tear duct upwards, theres a sort of grove in the skull that runs down from the corner of the eye. That might encourage any gunk out. Trimming the fur around the corner of the eye stops it matting and getting so sore too. Once clean you could also put a little vasline around it to help protect the skin.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Oh Lany, please do not worry, flushing the rabbits tear duct is a very quick and simple proceedure :D It can make all the difference with runny eyes, and I expect it is in reality more stressful for poor Buffy to have eye drops every day.

I cannot imagine it is anything too serious, just needs a bit of veterinary attention...Lany you sound like you are the one that needs a drop of something..Whisky! to calm your nerves... :roll: :lol: These rabbits keep us on an emotional rollercoaster dont they!.

I would go with your Vet on this one, Buffy will be fine, she is fit and healthy, the eye problem is just a nuisance that can be sorted.
Reassuring hugs coming your way
XX

Adele said:
.Lany you sound like you are the one that needs a drop of something..Whisky! to calm your nerves... :roll: :lol: These rabbits keep us on an emotional rollercoaster dont they!.

:lol: :lol: You Got that right Gal!! - now where's that bottle gone :lol: :lol:

Thanks so much Adele/Tams - its like I get an attack of the panics and you two just suddenly pop up :wink: - Thats really reasuring to know that its not too bad a procedure - I'll give her a couple more days on the ointment and try the Tams Massage too and then if no better - she's off for a Flushing. :wink:

Cheers Mates

Awwww Lany mate, try not to worry to much I'm sure she'll be fine. If it makes you feel any better Buggs, my first bun had to go every week for a month then every two weeks and so on until we got it down to every 4-6 weeks. He was a brave boy, he was never put out to have this done always awake and he never really made a fuss in fact he got himself into quite a routine. It took a couple of minutes or so to do and he never got stressed.

Zeus has had an eye problem since Jan that flares up every so often - this time we nearly have it licked though and think within a couple more weeks it may be completely cleared up.

This time his top left eyelid swelled up and got inflamed, this caused his eyelid to curl under (entropion) which rubbed on his eye = constant weeping. To top it all off about two months ago he got symptoms like pasturella - sneezing and thick discharge from his nose.

The vet thinks it all stems from the fact his eye is now a little sunken in the socket since its first infection in Jan, making it harder for the eyelid to open and close properly.

The routine that seems to have worked I have been doing for nearly three months - 3ml Baytril once a day, fucithalmic eye drops twice a day and a salt bath for the infected area. Zeus has been very good through all of this and his eye is so much better, the eyelid has uncurled and the swelling is almost gone, it still weeps a bit though.

I don't know about comparative costs/stress to the rabbit but in my case they wanted to use tear duct flushing as a last resort especially as the other symptoms developed and the whole sinus system in rabbits also links to their teeth as well (they are such complicated creatures) - at first they thought his eye problem might be due to tooth root problems but x-rays ruled that out (my wallet is still hurting).

Caz

Caz said:
The routine that seems to have worked I have been doing for nearly three months - 3ml Baytril once a day, fucithalmic eye drops twice a day and a salt bath for the infected area. Caz

Cheers Caz and everyone for your kind replies - My vet also has given Fuchithalmic eye drops for Buffs - I mentioned should I pop Buffs on Baytril for a day or so but she felt as the infection was localised there was no need - so I'm wondering now if this might help her? - I might just try for a day or two to see if any improvement prior to popping her back to the Vets?

Lany you need to give 5 days of Baytril minimum else it is not a proper course, and can make the infection come back stronger if it is not knocked on the head.
I would see your Vet again for advice before doing anything else, and talk it through.
:wink:

As I said in my previous post: I have been doing it for three months (seems like forever) and have just started to notice some real improvements. It was gradually getting better until last week when the final part of his eyelid uncurled!

Caz

If the treatment is going to be a regular thing it might help to feed her a little treat each time. Just a couple of blueberries or a few pellets. It won't make her enjoy the actual treatment, but she'll start to associate it with tasty food and won't get as stressed over it. We were syringing Sheffield medicine for a couple of different things, and it was amazing how much calmer he was about the whole thing as soon as we sweetened the deal with a few pellets.

Thanks maties for all the help and advice.

I've spoken the Vets this morning and they advise continuing with the ointment for a few days and bathing but also giving Metacam as this has anti-inflamatory properties which may help too. So couple more days then we'll see how she goes - my little bundle of trouble eh!

Bertie - Thanks - lovely idea regarding the treats - like most bunns - Buffs heart is well and truely in her tummy - so that should definately work me thinks :lol: :lol:

Back