• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Closure for Frank and Spencer

zarathustra

Warren Scout
So the ordeal has finally come to a close.

Got a letter from our vets insurance company today.

They admit liability that the error with the boys vaccinations most likely caused their death, and as well as agreeing to cover all emergency vets bills and the cost of the post mortem etc they have also agreed to cover the cost of the hutch and various bits and pieces which will need to be replaced.

It was never about the money, we would have much rather had our happy hoppers back, but at least now we are in a position where we can get a new hutch and other bits in preparation for adopting some more buns.

The run will be re-used, it is all metal and has been outside dismantled since the boys died, so with a pressure wash, disinfection, and the passage of time and exposure to the elements I think the risk is minimal.

We are expecting our first child in May so I have already offered to take on the responsibility for new rabbits as it is going to be difficult for my other half when it comes to cleaning out etc.

Anyway, time to start looking at new hutches etc and local rescues, there's a pair I've had my eye on for a while if they're still at the rescue

I'm really pleased to read this :D Whilst no-one should have had to go through what you, your wife, Frank and Spencer went through, at least they have finally agreed that what they did was very wrong.

Hopefully you can now move forward and plan for some new rabbits. Hopefully, also the vet concerned will never forget what happened :(

I hope your wife remains well and please update us on the new rabbit situation in due course.

I was thinking of Frank and Spencer today so thank you for the update. I'm glad they have taken responsibility and I hope that they have learnt so this never happens again. So in May you could have three new additions? Congratulations!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

They admit liability that the error with the boys vaccinations most likely caused their death, and as well as agreeing to cover all emergency vets bills and the cost of the post mortem etc they have also agreed to cover the cost of the hutch and various bits and pieces which will need to be replaced.

It was never about the money, we would have much rather had our happy hoppers back, but at least now we are in a position where we can get a new hutch and other bits in preparation for adopting some more buns.

The run will be re-used, it is all metal and has been outside dismantled since the boys died, so with a pressure wash, disinfection, and the passage of time and exposure to the elements I think the risk is minimal.

We are expecting our first child in May so I have already offered to take on the responsibility for new rabbits as it is going to be difficult for my other half when it comes to cleaning out etc.

Anyway, time to start looking at new hutches etc and local rescues, there's a pair I've had my eye on for a while if they're still at the rescue

Justice at last.

No more or less than you deserved, but your poor little buns had to suffer and leave you, which will remain with you forever.

I am heartened that they have taken this approach. I can't say I'm pleased because I feel pain for what you went through, and the subsequent hoops you had to go through to get justice. But I am glad that this ordeal is now over for both of you.

I was very pleased to hear your wonderful news though, and I hope you will keep in touch somehow to let me know how you and your wife are doing, even if you don't post on the forum :)

Good luck with your future ventures, every one :)

It's a very bitter pill in so many ways. There are no real winners in this and I agree with you that you would give anything to have Frank and Spencer back. In some ways, it's easy for insurance companies to say sorry. But it doesn't change the history. I just hope that lessons are learned from the insurance company and the vet and this never happens again.
I am so pleased you are looking forward and I hope so much all goes well with regards to the birth of your child in May. And I hope too, that you find and give a loving home to some new rabbits and give them the love and affection and second chance they deserve with you.
Good luck with all ahead.

Glad to see that you got justice for you and your bunnies.

Good luck with your baby xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m glad that you got justice for Frank and Spencer, I hope the vet will learn from the mistakes made. Good luck with the baby and your new bunnies :thumb:

Whilst nothing can make losing Frank and Spencer in such a tragic way any 'better' it is at list some sort of justice for them. I hope the Veterinary Practice involved will learn from their grave errors to make certain they are never repeated.

Best wishes for the future for you and your family, both 2 footed and 4 footed xx

PS- I'd advise you to use this disinfectant on the run

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Anigene-HLD4V-High-Level-Disinfectant-Cleaner/c19401/

Thanks everyone.

It's not going to be a quick process, we will be taking our time to find the right hoppers for our household.

We are also going to take this chance to be better organised with storage of things like food and hay, keep toys in better condition, making sure we have plenty of stuff to keep any new rabbits entertained etc.

Thanks, I've got VKD(?) tablets but I knew there was nother one and I couldn't remember the name of it.

Thanks everyone.

It's not going to be a quick process, we will be taking our time to find the right hoppers for our household.

We are also going to take this chance to be better organised with storage of things like food and hay, keep toys in better condition, making sure we have plenty of stuff to keep any new rabbits entertained etc.

Thanks, I've got VKD(?) tablets but I knew there was nother one and I couldn't remember the name of it.

Anigene and Ark-Klens are the two recommended disinfectants.

I'm so glad you have closure, what happened to your gorgeous buns must have been devastating. I'm glad you pursued this as difficult as it must've been for you, as others have said it doesn't bring them back but it does give them (and you) the justice they deserve.

I’m so sorry for what you have been through and hope that this settlement helps you move forward now. I have to confess that I hadn’t read your original posts regarding what happened and have just found and read them.
I don’t wish to hijack your thread, but I took Herb to the vets last week for his annual vaccinations. I have to admit to having been a little lax about when his vaccinations were due, as I knew we adopted him in Feb last year and so I assumed they weren’t due until the start of this month.
I booked the appointment with the vets and then looked out his vaccination book the morning of the vaccination. I was shocked to discover that Herb too, had had two combi vaccines and not the combination one and then the RHD2. His first combination vaccine was done whilst he was in rescue at a vets about 10 miles away from mine. I assumed that I had made the mistake as I was very stressed at the time we got him and that I hadn’t explained to the vet that it was his RHD 2 vaccine that he needed. Thankfully he has been perfectly healthy all year, but I could easily have been in your situation. I’m upset now that I didn’t make a fuss at the vets when I took him last week. I will definitely take it further now though, the vet should have checked the card before vaccinating him or at least should have noticed the date of the last vaccination and the fact the it’s even the same lot number.
I’m so sorry that you and Frank and Spencer had to suffer due to this mistake, but I’ll do my best to make sure that it doesn’t happen to any other bun at the Vets I use. I hope that’s a fitting legacy for them.
vvZx0Del.jpeg

Oh Glingle, what a horrible shock :shock: I am so pleased that Herb has been OK.

It's so dreadful that this sort of thing can happen once, but your experience now shows...........

Back