• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Our baby had babies!!!!!! Need some advice please!!

Hi everyone,
Well, our baby Oreoelle just had her babies! Mom appears to be ok and it looks that she had 6 babies!
Many questions for all of you.........
1. Oreoelle moved all the nesting material around and the babies are laying on the bottom of the nest box. Is this ok? what should we do? We did put plenty of nesting material in but she moved it all to the side.
2. should we put a heating bottle UNDERNEATH the nest box to generate some heat or just keep her cage covered to prevent drafts
3. It appears that 2 of her babies were still born. Should I reach in and remove them now? I dont want to panic her!
4.the nesting material is naturally bloody, should we change it?

Thank you so much for your help!
Nicole

Can't answer your questions (will leave that to the experts) but just wanted to congratulate you on becoming a granny
1.gif

I called an emergency vet ( since its 215 am here) and asked about the still-born ones. They told me that once she is done birthing/cleaning and leaves her nest box to remove the deceased babies. They suggested to use a glove or a sock that my scent doesnt get on her living young. I took the advice of everyone and patted the mom for awhile to get her scent on me and then with a glove on I removed the deceased ones. Oreoelle pushed the deceased ones into the corner of the nest box, so they were pretty easy to get too.
Once I removed the still-borns I examined them to make sure they were indeed deceased. They were. My daughter was quite upset about all of this but I explained to her that its natures way of returning them to heaven so they can be healthy.
Its chilly here now ( even in Florida : 0 ) ) so I have set up a heating unit. It just simply blows hot air. I have it on for 5 min then off for 15....just enough to get the chill out of the air.
The babies are shaking just a little bit. I am not sure if that is normal or if they are cold. I want to play it safe.
Over all, Oreoelle is being a good mom! Im not 100% sure if she has attempted to feed her young or not. I dont want to stress her out by checking on her every second but I can say that she comes and goes from her nest box. She goes baby to baby.
Wow, this is the first time I have ever seen a animal give birth. I have seen and given birth myself to humans but never witnessed an animals birth. The gift of life really is amazing!
Please post away with any suggestions of what I am doing wrong or should do. I need all the help I can get! : 0 )

Nicole

Hi Nicole - its 7. 38 am here so you may have to wait a while for the experts to surface. Lazy lumps..... only joking....... It sounds like you're doing a fab job

Jill 'n family,
Thanks for the kind words! Its good to know that I am atleast on the right track! You all have been so wonderful to me. I cant express how much I appreciate all the support and advice!
I know if all of this wasnt going on in my house I would be asleep too ( like my husband!!! sigh lol)

Nicole : 0 )

I believe that rabbits only feed their kits once or twice a day usually at night so don't be suprised if you don't see them being fed, or if they are left alone for long periods, as long as they stay within the nest box and keep warm they should be alright.

I have never bred rabbits myself so am not really the best person to advise. Congrats on the new additions though :)!

Caz

Thanks Caz! We are quite excited here to have new members to our family! I must comment on the pic of all your rabbits. They are adorable! The rabbit which is laying against you ( Im assuming its you!). My God..I have never seen such a big rabbit! That rabbit of yours could take someone hostage if it wanted too!! lol : 0 )

Nicole

Don’t worry about taking the dead babies out just yet – the mother may eat them later. This is not as gross as it sounds. Eating dead babies is good for both mummy and babies (the milk). However if the stillborn babies have NOT been moved within about a week (or just under) then remove them. Remember to stroke mummy first though before touching her babies.

If she is a first time mother then she probably doesn’t know what she is doing yet. How much bedding do the babies have? I have experienced offspring that have only had a bit of bedding and they got by fine. Better not put a heated bottle in the nest as it “may” be to warm for the babies or even burn them, as they have no fur yet. The mother is probably just moving the nest so just see how it goes today and then maybe put some more “soft” bedding near the nest.

Maybe best as well to put soft bedding (or grad some of her fur that has already been pulled) and place it on the top of the babies. This is what an experienced mum would do with a nest.

Well firstly congratulations, you must be so pleased. I know how excited i get before a new litter, so for your first you must be over the moon.

The babies will snuggle up together and keep each other warm, if you hold your hand over the nest you should be able to feel the heat radiating off them. They should feel very warm to the touch as well. The 1st week is the crucial time for them getting chilled before there fur grows. If the doe hasn't pulled alot of fur the kits can chill at this time so keep an eye on them but without disturbing them so you don't upset the doe. Some does are happier than others for you to handle there babies so let her guide you, if she objects back off.

She will only feed once or twice a day for about 5mins at a time and it is rare you will witness this as they will usually do it at night, rabbit milk is very rich so this is all the feeding they need.

If the bedding around the babies is wet this will chill them as well so you may need to replace it if its very soiled by the birth.

And if you should find a kit out of the nest apparently dead don't assume the worst, before giving up on it try warming it up first, its amazing how a totally lifeless kit will start wriggling when placed on a hot water bottle, i've saved a few this way. When its warm you can then place it back in the nest. They sometimes get dragged out at feeding time if they are still hanging on when the doe jumps out so its something you need to watch for.

Good luck with them, I find 3wks old is the best time, when they start exploring and bouncing around, I could sit watching them for hours at this time (and do) lol

Yvonne

just to add, you should remove the dead kits as these will become very cold and chill the others.

also if there isn't alot of fur you may be able to gently tug some more from the does chest and abdomen as it should be very loose and come away easily at this time, only do this if you need to though and avoid stressing the doe.

yvonne

Hi again : 0 )
I already removed the still born ones...it went good. I didnt know if I should remove them or not. Someone told me that the deceased babies chill fast and cause the others to die. So I just winged it....I am truly a newbe at all of this..lol Oreoelle, pushed the deceased babies into the corner so they were easy to get too. I made sure to pat her alot before going into her nest box. She jumped in right afterwards and checked her babies.
I just went in to check on the new mommy and she is doing well. She is bleeding just a tiny bit. She is drinking alot of water and just ate alittle.
I set up a heater to that just blows hot air to keep the chill out. I dont have the heater right next to the cage but rather in the center of the room and only keep it on for a few minutes at a time.
The poor thing has pulled out so much hair! Its all over the nest box. I am assuming this is normal? 4 of her babies are quite packed in the hair and the nesting material. The biggest of them all is by itself. It doesnt appear to be in any distress. Is it ok for it to be on its own? Should I move it? Does Oreoelle need any special suppliments now that she is feeding 4 babies?

I normally try to keep the babies together, it could have crawled away from the others and can't get back. If you doe is been a good mom she will put nesting material around the stray kit to keep it warm, but has no way of moving it back into the same nest as the others herself as rabbits can't carry or pickup there young. Also if the babies are tucked up together they will keep each other warm. Get her scent on your hands as before then gently lift the kit and place it in with the others.

Yvonne

Hi,

Your message could have been written by me just 8weeks ago tomorrow my Doe gave birth to 4 healthy babies....(they have all gone to good homes now)

It was my first time too, and a great experience....i would send you photo's but mine come up huge....

If you email me on jewels26301@aol.com

I'll send some.....things sound great so far...i left mum to get on with it for 7days, just checking once a day they were all alive...

Take Care

Julie

I have to add that I am a very proud great-grandmother now! I am so impressed with how Oreoelle has been! She is doing alot better from when I had my daughter! lol
The little ones are up and moving!? I was shocked to see them moving so much! The one that was alone is now with its brothers and sisters and all are wiggeling around! : 0 )
As far as the still borns go....they were born obviously deceased. One of the two wasnt even developed hardly at all. The other ones legs didnt develop. :0(

Just wanted to say that is my other pet pictured with Zeus - my husband - not me ;) :lol: !!

Caz

Food wise, give her all her usual food but in greater quantities and make sure she doesn't run out of water as she will drink alot more in order to produce milk.

Yvonne

As long as they can get to mummy when feeding then that is fine :)
It is normal for mother buns to pull a lot or hair out, so make sure she is fed slightly more in food as babies are like leaches and will be feeding off her, so she may become thinner. She will also need the extra food to keep her warm as well. She may be a little sore in the teat area...so be careful around there :) But over all sounds fine there. The first day is always a worry, even for those that know what they are doing. Just be around the cage/hutch like a hawk today and keep a close eye on mummy too, though I am sure you will :) Congrats on the new borns(s) :) :)

Breeders are going to have slightly different opinions as we have all brought up babies buns differently so do what ever you feel comfy with :)

Back