• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have you had an elderbun?

loobers25

Warren Veteran
I have always had lops and never had or live past eight. :( Dennis will be nine this year. Just wondering how old was or is your elderbunnies are and what breed/colouring . Bunnies that have lived 10+ what's your secret

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I have always had lops and never had or live past eight. :( Dennis will be nine this year. Just wondering how old was or is your elderbunnies are and what breed/colouring . Bunnies that have lived 10+ what's your secret

There isn't one !!

Obviously good care will always play a part, but so does genetics, environmental challenges etc. Almost all of my 10+ Rabbits (oldest was about 14) were small breed such as a Nethie X, a Mini Lop, a Mini Lop. I had a Standard Rex who lived to be just over 13 years of age, which I am told is a record for a Standard Rex. But I dont attribute her longevity to any 'secret' I have regarding care, all my Rabbits received/receive the same standard of care yet I have lost some before they reached their first Birthdays :cry:

No secrets[emoji38]

Two mini lops, 10 years old, the boy died first at 10 he was a sooty colour and brown? Idk

Female, orange, died six months later maybe 9 months? but she went from being outside with him, to never going back outside and living with our dog free range, because she was heartbroken, and I didn't know what to do, but my dog and her seemed to hit it off, and she used to groom my dog and she seemed to get her spark back and started zooming around again with my dog and jumping on her back [emoji38] my dog used to lick her too, so knowing what I know now it wasn't ideal, but considering how little I knew, I think it was okay, except the whole leaving a dog unattended with a prey animal [emoji849][emoji38] I was lucky my dog saw her as something to protect and never as prey.

But yea, they didn't have a perfect life, they both died naturally of old age.

I think it's genetics and care that decides tbh, and I know you give the best care, and Denny seems like he's doing good, so I'd just keep an eye on him and be mindful of his age :) I wouldn't worry too much, but I do understand x

I have had quite a lot of elderly bunnies. My oldest is 10.5 and I've had a few more live till 10, lots until 9 and even more until 8. Genetics as Jane says play a part but good husbandry from birth onwards must contribute. Keeping rabbits clean is a must and attention to diet inasfaras the knowledge we have. Dennis looks good to me. I think we also should try to keep them happy as rabbits are not meant to be "down", lonely or ignored.

Oldest bun was 14 and a half :love:

I have had quite a lot of elderly bunnies. My oldest is 10.5 and I've had a few more live till 10, lots until 9 and even more until 8. Genetics as Jane says play a part but good husbandry from birth onwards must contribute. Keeping rabbits clean is a must and attention to diet inasfaras the knowledge we have. Dennis looks good to me. I think we also should try to keep them happy as rabbits are not meant to be "down", lonely or ignored.

I'd go along with this. I think it's a combination of genetics and care.

I've not had a rabbit live longer than 8 1/2 :( Dennis looks very sprightly and of course Syrupy keeps him young at heart :love:

My first rabbit, Twitch and her sister Smudge were about 12 when they died. They weren't spayed, ate muesli but had access to grass, hay and a large run so I guess that made a difference. It was quite some time ago though so genetics may have been a factor as well.

Currently have Harley who is 10 and despite cataracts forming and a recent and very rare bout of stasis is still going strong. Pretty much every night jumps into the top half of his hutch about 2 foot off the ground as he doesn't like to take the long way round to get his pellets. Got him from Pets at Home so genetics would be a dice roll for him.

Our Ted is (we think) a mini/dwarf lop cross. His colouring/marking is chocolate orange butterfly and he's 10. He's been stasis prone his whole life and to be honest I'm surprised he's still with us as there's been a number of times we thought we were going to lose him. When he has been ill however we've always caught it really quickly, we tried really hard to work out what was causing it and though never cut it out completely, cut down the incidence a lot. We've also been very dedicated in caring for him - up at all hours for meds in the night and working from home to make sure we could keep an eye on him.

Rosie is 12, we don't know what breed she is but she's an uppy eared bunny and she's blue. Very fiesty, which I think has really helped to keep her going. She's been on twice daily meds for the last 2 years for arthritis but she's managing pretty well with it. They're both very lively still and I think it's entirely possible they've got a lot of life left (though that feels horribly like tempting fate so fingers crossed)

I shall have to come back to this thread in several years time as so far I've not had a bunny get past 8 (unless Mouse is - hard to say with Mouseypie, just know she is at least 7 as rescued first time round when she was an adult. Bob childhood rabbits lived til 12, 12 & 10 . I think they looked a bit English Spot like, uppy earred, medium sized. They free roamed in the garden, escaped regularly but returned of own will, not vaccinated, v little human intervention.

Dennis looks in great shape - early 30's . When is his birthday?

I shall have to come back to this thread in several years time as so far I've not had a bunny get past 8 (unless Mouse is - hard to say with Mouseypie, just know she is at least 7 as rescued first time round when she was an adult. Bob childhood rabbits lived til 12, 12 & 10 . I think they looked a bit English Spot like, uppy earred, medium sized. They free roamed in the garden, escaped regularly but returned of own will, not vaccinated, v little human intervention.

It would be tempting to muse that they lived so long because they were happy, but I suspect that they might also have been constantly on edge for fear of predators like wildies are. I hadn't realised that Mouseypie was quite that age and won't be quite so surprised now when you talk about the possibility of Arthritis with her. Is she your oldest rabbit atm then ?

I'm afraid there's not much input I have for you on this Loobers. I've not really had any accurate aging of the rabbits I have had so I don't know their confirmed ages. We thing Henry was just about a year when we got him (a year ago) so he's now 2 (ish) and Lillian was a bit older at 18 months so she's now around 2 and a half at best guess. I must say Dennis looks amazing for his age and he is clearly very happy and content and is living a stress free life - which is great for his health and inner happiness.

Thanks every bun..He is very full if beans at the moment as you know. He's the happiest I have ever seen with Syrup. Top secret information but I do feel a little uppy eared converted - he has the sweetest, cheekiest personality. I will be positive and cherish every day but I was just curious how long bunnies are living these days with good care

See I don't believe this as OH says his grandma had an uppy that lived to twelve. I think it's more like they get neglected in the garden and forget how many years they have had them. I bet 5 years tops

It would be tempting to muse that they lived so long because they were happy, but I suspect that they might also have been constantly on edge for fear of predators like wildies are. I hadn't realised that Mouseypie was quite that age and won't be quite so surprised now when you talk about the possibility of Arthritis with her. Is she your oldest rabbit atm then ?

Joey is 8 in April - he was rescued as a kit so his age is reliable. We adopted Mousey in May 2015 & were told she was estimated to be 3-4 years old then . Shes never been great with movement. I don't think living in an old school guinea pig cage did her any favours

See I don't believe this as OH says his grandma had an uppy that lived to twelve. I think it's more like they get neglected in the garden and forget how many years they have had them. I bet 5 years tops

I know what you mean but theres pics of bob & sis with the bunnies & they were still alive when she went to uni. I seriously think they prob had quite a nice life though its not a life I'd choose for my buns. better than the single hutch buns on muesli with no space or enrichment.

My first rabbit, Twitch and her sister Smudge were about 12 when they died. They weren't spayed, ate muesli but had access to grass, hay and a large run so I guess that made a difference. It was quite some time ago though so genetics may have been a factor as well.
My experience is similar: Nethie Charlie had 24-7 access to a run for most of his life (earlier we used to get him in overnight), shortest hutch was 4', next one 5', run was 6x4x2, fed muesli but loads of hay and grass, unneutered and vaccinated once :lol: He was basically a tiny wildie, not so round a nose as e.g. Mervinius' Archie. He was almost 11 when he went.

Top secret information but I do feel a little uppy eared converted - he has the sweetest, cheekiest personality.
I totally prefer uppy-eared rabbits, always have and have never made any secret of it to Lopsy ;P

Speaking of whom, he'll be 6 this year! He's such an 'old man', sleeping loads, pretending he can't hear you... :lol: I think he's hit a midlife crisis as well because he knocked Aboleth off the windowsill the other day! Poor Aboleth!

Ohhh I love uppy ears. We only got Boobly (my first lop) as she was the only single female we could find. Mouse misled us by wearing them up in her profile pic

I have an 11 year old nethie cross doe, a 10 year old himilayan cross lionhead, a 9 year old crossbreed. Most of mine seem to reach 11/12 despite being rescues. I think the key is space and varied enrichment and super healthy diet and as much or as little human interaction as they wish and lots of daily observations being done.

We're getting rabbits to live longer in the rescue too with many reaching 10/11 years and even a couple of 12 year olds which I also think is due to the above as when I first started most long term residents were only getting to 8/9.

First rabbit as a child lived to be ten. He was a lovely black Silver Fox, quite big, very robust and never ill. Lived outdoors all his life and never visited the vet once.

My harlequin lionhead Benji also lived to be ten and his wife bun Squirrel, a chinchilla lionhead, was eight when she passed away, but had had two years of respiratory issues.

Current Dutch marked black and white/blue eyed cutie is eight in April, another lion. All my lions have been house buns.

Back