• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range house bunnies

loobers25

Warren Veteran
I feel really jelous and confused how bunnies are safely let loose around the house. Obviously mine have the master bedroom but how on earth do you bunny proof the whole house? It must be funny coming home and wondering which room your bunny is in and what they have been up to. I used to let Millie and Toby out to play and they would just hop up the stairs back to their Warren room. There are so many hazards in the house Dennis would eat everything until he was in a coma. Walls, skirting, carpets, dropped food, well anything actually

Free range bunnies what's your secret?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Ours are free range when we are home but restricted when we’re out. All our plug sockets have been moved out of bunny reach or wires covered with protectors. They are both carpet diggers so we have to make sure all the corners are covered. We have tiles placed under cupboards and chest of drawers. Apart from that they are pretty good and would probably be fine free range. But I could never bring myself to do that :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t let mine free range over the whole house. Only under supervision! They are restricted to one room when we aren’t there.

Our pair literally have the entirety of upstairs to free roam but they just choose to never leave their room :roll: Apparently they just want to stay cuddled inside their tiny P@H box all the time, for some reason.

Not sure it’s very helpful but mine is free roam while I’m here to monitor and sometimes allowed upstairs in one room as well as downstairs but I do listen out for monkey business lol!

When I go out Luey gets his pen and the kitchen and the cats are shut in the living room, then at night he’s away in his pen and cats are shut in the kitchen with him. So it works well for us and he’s not seemingly interested in eating carpet etc....but likes my old original doors unfortunately, guess they are like a vintage wine to him haha!! But he stops with a sharp “ahah” x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine can free roam but mainly self confine themselves to the lounge. We had bunnies at the heart of our rennovation plans so all plug sockets well placed, old lead painted skirtings removed & we've just stained & oiled the new ones. J, B & M don't chew anything left around, any skirtings, furniture. They don't even try to eat food inappropriate for rabbits. I've lost a charger & a couple of lap top cables . Diesel however, like my bunnies of old, might bring something new to the party. None of my buns go to the front door for which i am super grateful

One of ours is a chewer. Any free range time is supervised

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I would love to have free range indoor bunnies too but when I did have them inside even though they were confined to the lounge they nommed through two sleeping bags, my DVD cases, curtains, cushions, the TV cable (I had no TV for 18 months), and I also had two holes in the plaster - they ate the wallpaper and the plaster as well. I then moved them to the kitchen where they nommed the skirting board and door frame and rug.

I have cats and my bridge bun George jumped over his barrier and got out of the cat flap and was never seen again sadly:( It takes me ages to teach a cat to use a cat flap but George must have just copied a cat.

I look at the lovely photos of indoor bunnies living as part of the family and am very jealous.

My buns now live outside.

Hi!!
Id love to introduce my house bunny. This is Mr. Berenstain the Big Black Bunny aka Mr.B. the family has too much fun naming him ;) he is allowed to free run the downstairs while someone is home or in our office (connected to the house). For him this means he's out and about 12-16 hours most days, very social, always nudging us for petting or herbal treats and hopping into laps for cuddles. Most of the time he's only caged at night while we sleep but also naps in or in front of his cage during the day. I think the key to his good behavior and overall well adjusted social skills I that I adopted him at 4mos. Old (he's 3now) and he's very consistently with his human warren. From day one 'naughty' rabbit behavior was redirected. If he moved to chew on something inappropriate a replacement item was given. All wires were covered or moved and when appropriate a Tabasco sauce water mix was sprayed on items as a deterrent (one bite ever was a sufficient test) and once sprayed an item was never touched. This happened when he was younger, I don't think I've used this method for about two years. He was never a digger but if he was he would have been given suitable digging areas and digging spots covered with tiles etc. I've watched this fourm alot but never posted before but this seemed like a fun introduction :)
3cdd2366028c3be154bfc39a52ef5611.jpg
9f722e4c2a59b23616569a755c733cff.jpg
c9a63952b7dd5c211d6a34eefe71dc47.jpg
5968cfa5fb4f4af92d04c4ba71cf3870.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I might mention too he's my first and only bunny and only pet besides the fish, I'm highly allergic to dogs and cats. As a result he gets all the attention. Not to put down any lifestyle, but I'd bet that any pet that was used to being at your side all day everyday would be better behaved. There's even times when dispite not caring for water he will hop in the shower after me, tho he quickly hops back out to sit in front of the heater and dry off ;)

I think I've got lucky with my two, I used to confine them when I first adopted them but very quickly gave them the run of the house as they didn't chew a thing. I rabbit proofed everywhere before we got them but we've been so lucky. The only incident we had was one day Lilac decided to chew a bit of carpet but that was months ago and she's never done it since! I wish I knew what the secret was!

My bridge bun Frankie was an absolute terror, she would dig and chew cushions, carpet, the sofa, anything and everything bless her!

For me there also no wondering what room the bunny is in, when I get home I'll see his head poke around the doorway checking who's there. He comes running to see me and starts dancing on his hind legs just waiting for cheek rubs and sprigs of the various herbs that seem to magically come out of my pockets ;)
He's never tried to bolt outside and on the rare occasion I've harnessed him for a romp around the back yard he seems confused and timid. I'll sit on the ground with him and he climbs into my lap after a bit he will get more comfortable and lay in the sun and the inch or so away from me but that pretty much sums up outside time.

For me there also no wondering what room the bunny is in, when I get home I'll see his head poke around the doorway checking who's there. He comes running to see me and starts dancing on his hind legs just waiting for cheek rubs and sprigs of the various herbs that seem to magically come out of my pockets ;)
He's never tried to bolt outside and on the rare occasion I've harnessed him for a romp around the back yard he seems confused and timid. I'll sit on the ground with him and he climbs into my lap after a bit he will get more comfortable and lay in the sun and the inch or so away from me but that pretty much sums up outside time.

Your rabbit sounds adorable :love: Welcome to the forum Mr B :wave:

Hi!!
Id love to introduce my house bunny. This is Mr. Berenstain the Big Black Bunny aka Mr.B. the family has too much fun naming him ;) he is allowed to free run the downstairs while someone is home or in our office (connected to the house). For him this means he's out and about 12-16 hours most days, very social, always nudging us for petting or herbal treats and hopping into laps for cuddles. Most of the time he's only caged at night while we sleep but also naps in or in front of his cage during the day. I think the key to his good behavior and overall well adjusted social skills I that I adopted him at 4mos. Old (he's 3now) and he's very consistently with his human warren. From day one 'naughty' rabbit behavior was redirected. If he moved to chew on something inappropriate a replacement item was given. All wires were covered or moved and when appropriate a Tabasco sauce water mix was sprayed on items as a deterrent (one bite ever was a sufficient test) and once sprayed an item was never touched. This happened when he was younger, I don't think I've used this method for about two years. He was never a digger but if he was he would have been given suitable digging areas and digging spots covered with tiles etc. I've watched this fourm alot but never posted before but this seemed like a fun introduction :)
3cdd2366028c3be154bfc39a52ef5611.jpg
9f722e4c2a59b23616569a755c733cff.jpg
c9a63952b7dd5c211d6a34eefe71dc47.jpg
5968cfa5fb4f4af92d04c4ba71cf3870.jpg

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

mr B is beautiful and you have some lovely photos there :love:

We only let them free range when we are home. More for their own safety though and they just sleep through the day anyway. I have started leaving them out for small lengths of time if I need to pop out for a bit. However Archie is so accident prone we can't risk it for a whole day!

For example this week he was sat next to Pip on the top stair and she was flopped right along the edge. I was sat near talking to them. I watched him go to do a big flop next to her in thin air. I couldn't grab him in time and he fell down four stairs before he could stopped himself....

This can be added to the list so far this week.....

Accidently shutting himself in the bathroom
Shutting himself inside my OH's man cave,
Getting stuck inside the sofa bed
Getting wedged behind our glass cabinet
Getting caught in the kitchen voile curtains

He is always flopping so spectacularly onto his royal cushion and with such force that re rolls straight off it. It's hilarious.....

Mine have free range when we are in the house but in their houses when we are at work.

Dilly does not do stairs very well so I do restrict him if I can. All wires in the lounge are behind something or in old hose pipe. My dining room wallpaper suffers terribly!
Anything brought into the house suffers from being investigated - he has been known to drag a pack of yogurts off to his lair.
As for not knowing which room he is in, as soon as he hears the door he zooms to see who is coming in, if he is not happy he will take himself off to his house.

Mine have free range when we are in the house but in their houses when we are at work.

Dilly does not do stairs very well so I do restrict him if I can. All wires in the lounge are behind something or in old hose pipe. My dining room wallpaper suffers terribly!
Anything brought into the house suffers from being investigated - he has been known to drag a pack of yogurts off to his lair.
As for not knowing which room he is in, as soon as he hears the door he zooms to see who is coming in, if he is not happy he will take himself off to his house.

The more I hear about Dilly the more I love him, he sounds so funny.What an awesome bunny.

What happens when he tries the stairs?

Back