• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"The children have lost interest ..."

MightyMax

Banned
https://www.express.co.uk/news/natu...WueiKma6VcXU4SVzakaB38GNSpW4L2iO6aiqhFZZsdIF8

It's very sad. Every case of an abandoned rabbit is tragic.

But to say the note with him was shocking "The children have lost interest, we didn't know what to do with it" ..
I read that daily in the free adds, but worded more bluntly .. "Need rid of, children bored"
I took one rabbit because he was threatened with being given away to a restaurant for dinner.

I hope he finds a loving home

I think animal ownership should be strictly controlled - mainly because I would want to weed out people like myself. Rabbits aren’t suitable pets for children. They need adult carers.

I think animal ownership should be strictly controlled - mainly because I would want to weed out people like myself. Rabbits aren’t suitable pets for children. They need adult carers.
I agree tbh (not that part about you, I'm sure you was a great bun owner [emoji38])

But yea I wish it was more controlled, it would make it more tricky for everyone but hopefully put off and weed out people who don't really care about longterm care.

I guess when I got Atticus and Clementine though I wouldn't have qualified [emoji38] I was a train wreck of a bunny parent looking back, just obviously I care whereas I get the impression some people would dump a baby bun that wasn't quite right, whereas I'd never do that.. I can't understand how anyone could do that though :( it's like an alien concept to me :S

I wish it was HB.

I wish people were not able to buy rabbits for children, because it's the rare child that will keep interest in a rabbit (who could live up to 14 years) throughout their own life.

I wish it was HB.

I wish people were not able to buy rabbits for children, because it's the rare child that will keep interest in a rabbit (who could live up to 14 years) throughout their own life.
Yea my parents bought me two mini lops for my 9th birthday, they lived like 10 years [emoji38][emoji38]

Don't get me wrong they were nice.. And I never mistreated them, but I never even wanted them, they were just the next step up in pet ownership, first it was a hamster, then the mini lops then at 12 my own dog.. I wanted my own dog but I never asked for bunnies [emoji38] I don't think my parents realised the long term commitment we took on and no one appreciated them really. Kinda sad really!

I made that mistake of buying a rabbit for dd 13. She is not interested now. However I’ve taken to it and my original bun and his new adopted bun wife from a rescue live in the lap of luxury!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sad :cry: there’s never any excuse to dump an animal, there’s plenty of rescues, I know they are bursting at the seams and often can’t take immediately but to dump an animal is :censored: :cry: poor bunny, he is gorgeous:love:

I made that mistake of buying a rabbit for dd 13. She is not interested now. However I’ve taken to it and my original bun and his new adopted bun wife from a rescue live in the lap of luxury!

:love:

I think it's because most rabbits are kept outside in a small hutch so appear to not do anything, especially to a child.

If only rabbits were promoted as freerangng house rabbits who love running and playing and are easily litter trained then I don't think the interest would wane so much.

I think it's because most rabbits are kept outside in a small hutch so appear to not do anything, especially to a child.

If only rabbits were promoted as freerangng house rabbits who love running and playing and are easily litter trained then I don't think the interest would wane so much.

Yes, I think you are right. People look at me like I’ve got two heads when I say I’ve got house bunnies. But when they see them they understand, and say they are like little dogs. I don’t think people think rabbits are as. clever as they are, and litter trainable etc. Personally I’ll never have outdoor bunnies again.

Yes, I think you are right. People look at me like I’ve got two heads when I say I’ve got house bunnies. But when they see them they understand, and say they are like little dogs. I don’t think people think rabbits are as. clever as they are, and litter trainable etc. Personally I’ll never have outdoor bunnies again.

No, I regret ever having outdoor bunnies! Even though I cared for them I never got to truly see their personalities which I ow feel awful about.

No, I regret ever having outdoor bunnies! Even though I cared for them I never got to truly see their personalities which I ow feel awful about.

I don’t regret having some of them outside, my half wildie pair and my lion head girls who were my quad hated being inside, but one or two of the others might have liked it inside. Besides, we can only do the best we can with the knowledge we had at the time :thumb:

I don’t regret having some of them outside, my half wildie pair and my lion head girls who were my quad hated being inside, but one or two of the others might have liked it inside. Besides, we can only do the best we can with the knowledge we had at the time :thumb:

Actually, thinking about it, Simba and Sooty both hated being indoors so I’m most likely berating myself for no reason!

I think it's magic when the owner decides to take the buns for themselves! :love:

I was thinking about this: Lopsy is very much like my friend's cat (awkward, a bit of a terror, not smart, mischievous) so maybe rabbits should be advertised as vegan cats? Because, as housebunnies, that's basically what they are!

Exactly.

When I've picked up unwanted rabbits on behalf of Rescue Centres I'm told that they are boring pets because they never do anything. :cry:

Poor little bun, I'm glad he was found and taken to the right place, hope he finds his forever home! Too many people are ignorant of rabbits' needs and just neglect them, intentionally or not. It makes me so angry!

Yea my parents bought me two mini lops for my 9th birthday, they lived like 10 years [emoji38][emoji38]

Don't get me wrong they were nice.. And I never mistreated them, but I never even wanted them, they were just the next step up in pet ownership, first it was a hamster, then the mini lops then at 12 my own dog.. I wanted my own dog but I never asked for bunnies [emoji38] I don't think my parents realised the long term commitment we took on and no one appreciated them really. Kinda sad really!

If only parents would stop thinking of rabbits as pets for kids! Even if the kids really want rabbits, the long term commitment HAS to come from the adults.

Two mini-lops do sound adorable though :love:

Back